• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Logic user needs help!

Share/Bookmark

Question Logic user needs help!

I'm trying to help one of our forum members solve some problems he's having with Logic 8. My experience is exclusively on Windows-based DAWs, and I've gone about as far as I can go in attempting to extrapolate from my experience using Sonar. Therefore, I'd like to see if a more experienced Logic user could give us some insights here.

My friend sent me a screenshot from a project he's working on. Here it is:

The oboe 1 track is highlighted, and as you can see, the track inspector has the track assigned to MIDI channel 5. However, when you look at the event list for that track, all the MIDI events are set to channel 1. This is the same on every other track -- correct channel assignment in the track inspector, but channel 1 for all the MIDI events. What we need to find out is how Logic should be set up so that all MIDI events for each track have the same channel assignment as the one given in the track inspector.

Now, my friend creates his music real-time with a keyboard, so maybe the problem happened at that level. If it did, what should he do to make sure that when he records in Logic his keyboard is sending on the correct MIDI channel? And since I'm sure he doesn't want to recreate everything all over again, is there an easy way for him to reassign the MIDI events in his current project to the channels they should be on for each track?

I hate seeing this guy go through so much frustration, so any help here would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Re: Logic user needs help!

Steve, thanks for putting this up. I hope a logic user can help me figure this out. I also tried out recording notes within logic with the step input keyboard, the same problem stays: All note events are being recorded on channel 1 for every track.

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

There's no need for frustration. I am guessing that everything is sounding as it should.

Logic records within each track's events according to the track number that was sent to it from the keyboard, which is No.1. However, as pointed out, the correct MIDI track number appears in the Inspector, and will be sent out through that MIDI channel.

So no worries. Or am I missing something?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    There's no need for frustration. I am guessing that everything is sounding as it should.

Logic records within each track's events according to the track number that was sent to it from the keyboard, which is No.1. However, as pointed out, the correct MIDI track number appears in the Inspector, and will be sent out through that MIDI channel.

So no worries. Or am I missing something?

Terry
    Hi Terry,
    the problem is that I cannot edit the volume and panning for every track separate, because the complete Aria player with all included GPO instruments are reacting the same. When changing one channel within 1 Aria instance, all the other are doing the same. And I think this has something to do with the fact that all the note events are going through channel 1.

Andre,

If you have multiple instruments within one Aria Player, then controlling individual volume and panning should not be done within the Logic panels, do it inside the Aria Player. That's why it has a Mixer.

Terry

Andre,

If you have multiple instruments within one Aria Player, then controlling individual volume and panning should not be done within the Logic panels, do it inside the Aria Player. That's why it has a Mixer.

Terry
    For one thing, the mixer in the aria player is not very accurat. It would be great if there were numbers instead of graphical sliders and buttons. The biggest problem I have though is that I can't use volume automation on each separate instrument because all the instruments in the aria player are following the volume automation I do on one instrument on a track in logic.

I'm not sure if by volume automation you mean what I would do. I control Expression (cc 11) because that what GPO is designed to use. And I do it this way:

Select the region you wish to control, expand its size vertically so you can see what you are doing. Immediately above the Arrange window click on View, select Hyper Draw and make sure Modulation is ticked. Now play with your green line, clicking to make nodes and shaping the expression as you want.

That's how to do it manually, but the best way is to manipulate the Mod Wheel on your MIDI keyboard, as recommended by Garritan. You can either do this when playing the notes in, or afterwards, on top of the note recording.

You're not trying to automate panning as well, are you? I suppose that can be done in Hyper Draw also...

Have I helped, or am I completely on the wrong track?

Terry

I'm not sure if by volume automation you mean what I would do. I control Expression (cc 11) because that what GPO is designed to use. And I do it this way:

Select the region you wish to control, expand its size vertically so you can see what you are doing. Immediately above the Arrange window click on View, select Hyper Draw and make sure Modulation is ticked. Now play with your green line, clicking to make nodes and shaping the expression as you want.

That's how to do it manually, but the best way is to manipulate the Mod Wheel on your MIDI keyboard, as recommended by Garritan. You can either do this when playing the notes in, or afterwards, on top of the note recording.

You're not trying to automate panning as well, are you? I suppose that can be done in Hyper Draw also...

Have I helped, or am I completely on the wrong track?

Terry
    Terry, thanks for weighing in here. The problem I was initially trying to help André to solve is that regardless of the track he has selected in Logic, the MIDI events he's recording through his keyboard all show up as being on MIDI channel 1. Using the oboe 1 example I had in my first post, André has the track assigned to channel 5. But when he recorded the track (the MIDI events were notes and CC64 for legato), the event list shows them being assigned to channel 1. They should be on channel 5 by my understanding of DAWs. Is this not the case with Logic?

Gentlemen, I need to break off here for now and go to work. When I get home this evening, I'll come back in, check to see whatever additional responses have appeared, then interject again if necessary. Don't despair André, I think we may be getting close to sorting things out for you!

Edit -- Terry, my DAW pre-Sonar was Cubasis VST 4. In the Key Editor (equivalent to Sonar's Piano Roll view) I could view, add, and edit a variety of MIDI controller data. Here's a screenshot:

In the above example, I have the MIDI CC data view set to main volume (CC7). I can use the view selector to switch to any MIDI controller, then draw in data for the selected controller. Does Logic's Piano Roll have the same function, or is this handled by Hyper Draw? In either case, I was trying to point André to the function in Logic that allows him to add MIDI controller data to each track. If you could post a screenshot showing an example of how you do it in Logic, I think the visual aid would be really helpful.

Thanks so much!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

I'm fairly new to Logic myself, but what you're referring to is all part of Logic's "Environment". I don't fully understand this yet, but this is the part of Logic where you can load up a multi-timbral instrument (like the 16 channel Aria Player) and have control over all of your midi connections, save your Aria configuration as a template so you don't have to repeat this process every time.

Here's a link to a tutorial.
    http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...s-environment/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    I'm fairly new to Logic myself, but what you're referring to is all part of Logic's "Environment". I don't fully understand this yet, but this is the part of Logic where you can load up a multi-timbral instrument (like the 16 channel Aria Player) and have control over all of your midi connections, save your Aria configuration as a template so you don't have to repeat this process every time.

Here's a link to a tutorial.
    http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...s-environment/
    André, I just looked at the tutorial Jeff has linked to here. It appears to be very comprehensive, so I would highly recommend studying it in detail as I believe it will help you figure out everything you need to solve your problems. Frankly, the tutorial should do far more for you than I can at this point.

Please let me know if this (finally) helps you sort things out. And Jeff, thanks so much for posting the link!

Steve

Go Back to forum