• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Ok,now seriously a string library which beats AO,MV,KH and US

Share/Bookmark

Ok,now seriously a string library which beats AO,MV,KH and US

Well.. here is a demo of a string (and orch. percussion) library which sounds so so better than M. Vitous, Kirk Hunter, P. Siedlcazek or Ultimate Strings..
    It\'s maybe a bit controversial to say that, and of course a lot of you won\'t agree, but definitely this library rocks..
    A few notes to it - it is the first time I heard violins section having at least near to that \"big Hollywood sound\".
    You can hear near the beginning of the demo short, but noticeable passage of superior violins section with incredible superfast attacks (but with absolutely clear realistic sound and not as crapped as KH, AO or MV \"marcatos\" \"staccatos\" or \"hard attacks\")
    The same about cellos section - this from the demo (also still near the beginning) sounds great and the attack is just incredible like in no other mentioned library - you can hear it the demo.
    I don\'t want to compare timpani and snare with Ultimate Orch. Percussion, it propably doesn\'t sound as good as Ult.Perc., but it sounds noticeably better than M.Vitous and P.Siedlaczek orch. percussion.
    Well of course, many people (maybe most, or everyone )will surely disagree, but when I hear for example the end of the demo, with great increasing dramatic feeling and expression, super clear fast violins section.. then I must ask myself - would be THIS possible with Advanced Orchestra String Ensembles and Percussion discs or US? I really, really don\'t think so. I never heard nor demo of AO, MV or US which would sound near this..

I\'m curious to your opinions, yes it would be propably the deadly critism, but I\'m prepared

The example is here.

Re: Ok,now seriously a string library which beats AO,MV,KH and US

Ok so I\'ll bite which library (or synth) is it?

Also just a note on the perc. in it....I think most of the sounds (snare, tamb, cym\'s) are from a synth. They sound like they are from a drum kit almost-especially the tamb.

The timpani is definately from a synth just not sure which one...

Donnie

I actually think this sounds (mostly) very good!!! This is also partly due to great writing int the demo also: its a great piece of action music not as lame as many other demos I\'ve heard: this makes it much more interesting to listen to.

The fast string licks are good: it reminds me of \"Aggressive Strings\" in the roland S770 library (NOT the JV patches!!!). It also reminds me a but of Danny Jaeger Master Violin library.

The worst element of the demo is this though: the short marcato strings, whilst very good, get tiring to listen to, they sound mechanical after a while. This means they should be mixed with other marcato patches to sound less repeptitive. They sound good at first, but after a while they sound all the same, even though there\'s a lot of dynamics and expression in a very good performance of the music.

These marcatos need to be mixed with longer marcatos, for example, to vary the sound of them on accents etc.

I like the percussion! (Though I heard the demo in mono).

So, here\'s the real question....

Which library is this??

Cheers, Rob

[This message has been edited by Robert Kral (edited 04-16-2001).]

Seems like someone making the best of a roland synth with an expansion board or maybe an Emu proteus. Certainly not cutting edge stuff.

Oh no Dis not again.... This is nothing special, and certainly not half as good as Kirk Hunter og Miroslav. The only good stuff are the pizzicatos and some of the marcatos. And the solo violin in the end which certainly doesn\'t sound like it comes from a synth, more like a sampled one, maybe AO or Denny Jaeger. And the percussion is pretty awful, nothing like UOP. However the arrangement is pretty cool, so you tend to not pay as much attention to the technical aspects.

It sounds a lot like my Roland gear. The fast sections start sounding synthetic after awhile. The slow sections can\'t compare with Kirk Hunter or Miroslav. So what are we listening to?

Dis,

what kind of (score-)music and composer are you listening to usually? What kind of sound are you trying to achieve?

-Marc

Dis: How about checking out the new Garritan\'s GIGASTRINGS at the following link
    http://www.gigastrings.com./mp3.htm

I think these ones approach the realism we\'re all looking for!

I must say that the GigaStrings kicks butt!!! I wasn\'t to impressed with this mp3 of the subject, however...

// Y

I think the differences here, stem from the fact that Dis mght jsut liek the sound of these things...not that he wants \"real\" sounds. He probably likes taht \"synth\" marcatto section sound, because its a \"BIG\" section patch, giving that hard attack, but big sound.

I personally think the MP3 isn\'t \"real\" sounding, but I also don\'t think its the roland board (unles its orch 2) cuz I\'m prett familiar with the Roland sounds on the orch one board.

What you might want to do Dis, is get Ultimate strings and AO/Miroslav and Layer the sounds across ports (or buidl your own instruments) I\'ve got taht big Thick attack sound from US and mixing it with other libraries. you also have to remember to write for each string section to get a big sound,..not just one section playing octaves.

also try taking the sounds you ahve and altering them in a multitrack. Limit the hell out of th timp if its not \"punchy\" enough. Its not the \"natural way\" of doing things...but uhm....since when are Hollywood action scores \"natural\" sounding

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum