• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: So anyone running Omnisphere on the new 2011 MacBook Pro's?

Share/Bookmark

So anyone running Omnisphere on the new 2011 MacBook Pro's?

Curious if anyone had the money to upgrade- is there a huge performance increase running Omni (or Trilian) on the new MBP's? I worry that quad-core will do nothing for performance when I see raw per core GHZ being the real benefit (afterall, my lowly dual core only uses 1 core in Logic to run Omni).

Re: So anyone running Omnisphere on the new 2011 MacBook Pro's?

Quote Originally Posted by Javaj View Post
    Curious if anyone had the money to upgrade- is there a huge performance increase running Omni (or Trilian) on the new MBP's? I worry that quad-core will do nothing for performance when I see raw per core GHZ being the real benefit (afterall, my lowly dual core only uses 1 core in Logic to run Omni).
    I will be ordering a new 17" probably in a month. My biggest constraint right now is my current 2006 MBP is limited to 3GB. From the benchmarks I've seen, the new sandy bridge i5/i7 are insanely good for a laptop, but being able to max out to 8GB will be the biggest initial bump for me.

How do you determine Omni's overhead in Logic? When I check out activity monitor (or do a top command from the terminal), I only see Logic listed and not any of the loaded VST/AUs.

I don't really care about the overhead- my concern is the cpu useage. I can max my single core out quickly with a multi (running 2.53 Core 2 2009 MBP). I still think the slower per core GHz will be the deciding factor regardless of how many cores there are. I wonder if Eric could pipe in on what expects to see from the new models.

We are quite curious about this too and will be testing as soon as we can get some models to try.

2.0ghz is now significantly below spec for Omnisphere, however the "Turbo Boost" mode may make that spec meaningless...have to try it to really know.

I don't really care about the overhead- my concern is the cpu useage. I can max my single core out quickly with a multi (running 2.53 Core 2 2009 MBP). I still think the slower per core GHz will be the deciding factor regardless of how many cores there are. I wonder if Eric could pipe in on what expects to see from the new models.
    Completely anecdotal, but I recall reading someone upgrading from a Core 2 Duo like you/I have to either an i5 or i7 from last year (non-sandy bridge, don't recall if it was Win or Mac).

His comment was that he instantiated a boatload of VIs, with multiple multis of Omni, a Trilian, a Kontakt etc and that his CPU usage rarely passed 20% in Logic.

Just some guesses, as Eric mentioned the turbo may be a positive factor. Also, if memory serves, I think the i5/i7 eliminated the frontside bus, so I'm thinking going from a 667 fsb to an i5/i7 should see impressive gains.

Another factor -- again, I'm going from memory/anecdotal aside -- I recall reading that i5s could potentially be better for certain things requiring raw CPU horsepower whereas an i7 definitely benefits from handling multiple threads. Might be worth checking out benchmarks and real world uses of i5 vs. i7 re: raw CPU.

Since I'm getting the 17", the i5 vs. i7 difference is moot since the 17" is i7 only.

So I was in an Apple store today and thought I would do a quick Xbench CPU test on a few new models.
    17" 2.3ghz Quad MBP- CPU test result- 260
    21.5" iMac 3.0ghz i3- CPU test result- 200
    my 2009 21.5" iMac 3.02Ghz C2D- CPU test result- 214
    my 2009 15" 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo-178

Of course- this can't really compare how these would run Omni or any other instrument better- but it, for me, was a good comparison using a standard measurement. I am a little shocked by the iMac number- I will have to retry that one again when I am in there. Not sure if the i3 is not a good performer- but this definately tells me not to upgrade my systems quite yet- I usually like to get twice the performance when I upgrade (thus makes it worth the cost)

So I was in an Apple store today and thought I would do a quick Xbench CPU test on a few new models.
    17" 2.3ghz Quad MBP- CPU test result- 260
    21.5" iMac 3.0ghz i3- CPU test result- 200
    my 2009 21.5" iMac 3.02Ghz C2D- CPU test result- 214
    my 2009 15" 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo-178

Of course- this can't really compare how these would run Omni or any other instrument better- but it, for me, was a good comparison using a standard measurement. I am a little shocked by the iMac number- I will have to retry that one again when I am in there. Not sure if the i3 is not a good performer- but this definately tells me not to upgrade my systems quite yet- I usually like to get twice the performance when I upgrade (thus makes it worth the cost)
    It's funny, I used to run xbench on my Macs all the time and have never used it on this machine.

After running Xbench, my late 2006 17" MBP (C2D 2.33) scored a 78 overall.

If the new i7 MBP is scoring a 260, then the upgrade is definitely worth it for me.

Yup, it's old but gives us a number we can bench. Are you sure you just ran the CPU test and unchecked all the other tests? If not then your number is the average of all tests run.

CPU usage will probably be similar to previous version or a little better per core. But it's a quad core and the previous versions were dual core. This means that you will be able to run at least twice as many plug-ins as you could before. For example, using Ableton Live which allocates alternating tracks to different cores, you might load Omni on a track and use 10% cpu for that part. The thing is, you can now load that exact same thing on 4 tracks and use the same cpu as if you had loaded it on 2 with your previous model (if it was the last i7 version). For those of us upgrading from a Core 2 duo, it will be even greater cpu capacity because of the actual chip speed increase and overclocking.

If there has been any time to upgrade your macbook pro, this is the time.

Note that a single instance or part of Omnisphere cannot be spread over multiple cores. The hosts handle this and a plug-in can only be allocated to one core/processor. So CPU speed is still a concern.

Go Back to forum