• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB, Reaper...help!!

Share/Bookmark

JABB, Reaper...help!!

Hi all,

I'm new here and figured I'd introduce myself by begging for your help

I purchased Garritan JABB and I'm using Reaper as my DAW.

EDIT: I am also posting this in the Garritan Libraries forum

So far I have recorded one song, but I used a separate instance of the Aria player for each track in my horn section. Now, I know that I don't have to do that...I know I can use one instance of JABB loaded with up to 16 instruments and record that way. The problem is that I have no idea how to set that up.

I have read every thread I can find on this issue...here, over at the Reaper forums, everywhere I can find some info I've read it. And not just information pertaining ONLY to JABB and Reaper; I have read as much as I could find about setting up different multi output vsti's in a number of different DAW's. I have tried everything I can think of for about a week straight now and I'm still not getting it to work.

Part of the problem is that I'm very new to recording and I don't yet have a clear picture in my head of things like signal flow, channels, sends, receives etc...I can't picture where the signal is going once it leaves my MIDI controller. What does it hit first? Where does it go from there? Etc etc....

So I've decided to try posting here to see if I can get any help.

Would some kind Reaper user (or anyone) be willing to walk me step by step through this configuration and explain why we set it up in such a way?

I know it's a lot to ask but I'm at my wits end and I'm not sure what else to do.

So far I've been doing this:

-"Insert virtual instrument on new track" (I've been selecting Aria Player multi, 32 out)

-"Reaper will build the following tracks for this effect
    - Stereo 1/2>New Track 2 'Out 1'
    - Stereo 3/4>New Track 2 'Out 3'
    - Stereo 5/6>New Track 5 'Out 5'
    .Etc
    .Etc
    .Etc all the way up to
    - Stereo 31/32>New Track 17 'Out 31'

(At this point I'm a bit baffled but I click OK and let Reaper build those tracks.)

Now, I am under the assumption that there is a master MIDI track (Track 1) that receives input from my controller and then sends that along to the other tracks, and if I have the other tracks set up correctly...what? At this point I just can't visualize what is going on.

Next step:

- I choose an instrument in the Aria player's first slot (let's say Piano).

- I play a few notes on my controller and I get sound....great! Track one is showing that it is receiving MIDI data and I can hear the Piano.

- I choose another instrument in slot 2 of Aria (Let's say Tenor sax)

- In the Aria player, I DE-SELECT slot one (Piano) and SELECT slot 2 (Tenor)

- I play a few notes and.....I hear Piano (slot 1!!)

At this point I start messing around with MIDI channels, I/O on tracks in Reaper, Output in Aria etc etc...to no avail.

I'm stumped. I've done my best to explain what I am doing above...where am I going wrong? What am I missing?

Some introduction eh?!

Best,
    Cal

Re: JABB, Reaper...help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new here and figured I'd introduce myself by begging for your help

I purchased Garritan JABB and I'm using Reaper as my DAW.

EDIT: I am also posting this in the Garritan Libraries forum

So far I have recorded one song, but I used a separate instance of the Aria player for each track in my horn section. Now, I know that I don't have to do that...I know I can use one instance of JABB loaded with up to 16 instruments and record that way. The problem is that I have no idea how to set that up.

I have read every thread I can find on this issue...here, over at the Reaper forums, everywhere I can find some info I've read it. And not just information pertaining ONLY to JABB and Reaper; I have read as much as I could find about setting up different multi output vsti's in a number of different DAW's. I have tried everything I can think of for about a week straight now and I'm still not getting it to work.

Part of the problem is that I'm very new to recording and I don't yet have a clear picture in my head of things like signal flow, channels, sends, receives etc...I can't picture where the signal is going once it leaves my MIDI controller. What does it hit first? Where does it go from there? Etc etc....

So I've decided to try posting here to see if I can get any help.

Would some kind Reaper user (or anyone) be willing to walk me step by step through this configuration and explain why we set it up in such a way?

I know it's a lot to ask but I'm at my wits end and I'm not sure what else to do.

So far I've been doing this:

-"Insert virtual instrument on new track" (I've been selecting Aria Player multi, 32 out)

-"Reaper will build the following tracks for this effect
    - Stereo 1/2>New Track 2 'Out 1'
    - Stereo 3/4>New Track 2 'Out 3'
    - Stereo 5/6>New Track 5 'Out 5'
    .Etc
    .Etc
    .Etc all the way up to
    - Stereo 31/32>New Track 17 'Out 31'

(At this point I'm a bit baffled but I click OK and let Reaper build those tracks.)

Now, I am under the assumption that there is a master MIDI track (Track 1) that receives input from my controller and then sends that along to the other tracks, and if I have the other tracks set up correctly...what? At this point I just can't visualize what is going on.

Next step:

- I choose an instrument in the Aria player's first slot (let's say Piano).

- I play a few notes on my controller and I get sound....great! Track one is showing that it is receiving MIDI data and I can hear the Piano.

- I choose another instrument in slot 2 of Aria (Let's say Tenor sax)

- In the Aria player, I DE-SELECT slot one (Piano) and SELECT slot 2 (Tenor)

- I play a few notes and.....I hear Piano (slot 1!!)

At this point I start messing around with MIDI channels, I/O on tracks in Reaper, Output in Aria etc etc...to no avail.

I'm stumped. I've done my best to explain what I am doing above...where am I going wrong? What am I missing?

Some introduction eh?!

Best,
    Cal
    Hi Calaban, I don't have the Aria player, but I'm a Reaper user, so here's what I would do:
    1) create a new track
    2) in the fx tab, load Jabb
    3) assign the instruments you need to different midi channels
    4) In Reaper, create a new track, assign your midi keyboard as midi input - in its routing window, set a send to the track where Jabb is loaded, and set send midi channel all to 1
    5) create a second track, assign your midi keyboard as midi input - in its routing window, set a send to the track where Jabb is loaded, and set send midi channel all to 2
    6, 7, 8) ecc...repeat for as many instruments you need... incrementing the channel number
    now when you arm for recording one of the tracks you created, you will be hearing the instrument assigned to that channel, and you'll be able to record separate midi tracks for each... be sure that record monitoring is on (little speaker icon is white)
    Hope I was clear enough!

Re: JABB, Reaper...help!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
    Hi Calaban, I don't have the Aria player, but I'm a Reaper user, so here's what I would do:
    1) create a new track
    2) in the fx tab, load Jabb
    3) assign the instruments you need to different midi channels
    4) In Reaper, create a new track, assign your midi keyboard as midi input - in its routing window, set a send to the track where Jabb is loaded, and set send midi channel all to 1
    5) create a second track, assign your midi keyboard as midi input - in its routing window, set a send to the track where Jabb is loaded, and set send midi channel all to 2
    6, 7, 8) ecc...repeat for as many instruments you need... incrementing the channel number
    now when you arm for recording one of the tracks you created, you will be hearing the instrument assigned to that channel, and you'll be able to record separate midi tracks for each... be sure that record monitoring is on (little speaker icon is white)
    Hope I was clear enough!
    Hi oldbob,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and clear response. I'm glad to announce that I got it up and running just fine!

Best,
    Cal

Go Back to forum