• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: JABB vs. GPO intruments

Share/Bookmark

Re: JABB vs. GPO intruments

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    It seems we have the same tastes in libraries...

I also have Dimension Pro, KirK Hunter Pop/Rock Strings, Jabb...
    Hehe.. Well, on my part it has a lot to do with budget and pc-specs.

Yes, GPO sounds in Dimension Pro are a good representation of what you find in GPO which is though deeper, of course. For example, in Dimension there only is one oboe, in GPO there are 3 modern oboes, 1 classical, 1 oboe d' amore plus all derived variations, which GPO calls "player" versions.

The sound of the common material is absolutely the same, they have the same samples. Possibly, in Dimension the sounds are even better as they are clearer and not processed as deeply as in GPO, which, in turn, enhances playability with a more complex programming that you know well since you use JABB (JABB and GPO are pretty similar in their philosophy).
    You know how Dimension works: it pretty much gives you the raw sounds and pushes you to play with the on-board controls (envelopes, filters, layering and effects). GPO is the opposite: they tweak the sounds very deeply in order to squeeze expression and playability out of them and deliver to the end user a complete but fixed set of controllers to handle the emulated instrument.

GPO is an established and qualitative tool. It is not the best sounding VST orchestra out there but does the job and covers lots of musical ground, especially if one has alternatives concerning strings, in my humble opinion the only big weak point of the package (you have already a valid one with Kirk Hunter's strings, which are very good in my opinion. I particularly love the quarter divisions).

But, again, buy GPO only if you are needing/willing to score for orchestra. If you buy it for a couple of solo strings and french horns (part of which you already have in Dimension) you will be disappointed, always in my very humble opinion.

Again, hope to have been helpful. And do not take me very seriously, I am just a user like you

Fab
    Very helpful indeed.

I loaded some GPOLe sfz files in my sforzando player, and it sounded not so god.
    I'll have to give them another shot in DimensionPro I guess.

I do like the concept in Jabb3 about tweaked playable sound. But, of course, if it doesn't sound musical I'll not be able to use it that much.

I guess an club-version, or closemiced orcestra would be perfect for me.
    But EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA is way out of spec and budget

it really depends on what your needs and tastes are, really....

GPO can sound musical, no doubt about that. Just browse the listening room and realize that it can do pretty things.EWQLSO is not necessarily a winner on it. I personally do not like that booming, inflated sound. Most people do, it is true.

As a GPO owner, the only thing I feel saying to you (I'll repeat what I told in my previous post) is that most of GPO sounds much more than fine for the average user. Winds, percussion and extra bits (harps, piano, the organ...) are usable patches. Brasses are a difficult chapter.... most people got used to modern high end "cinematic" libraries, with those huge sounding brass with their wild staccatos... Most GPO brasses have a relatively unprocessed sound representing the mild dynamics of the instruments. You have no problems reproducing the lyrical range of a horn, for example. Then, there are the sections derived from Project Sam, which sound brassier and more powerful. All in all, brasses do offer some alternatives and are more than decent in an orchestral sound stage. Exposed, they'll have limits.

The only thing that will limit the user, in my opinion, are the strings, solos and sections. These will work fine in some situations, while are unfit to reproduce specific types of phrasings. Used as "pads", like most user do, will be fine. Do Vivaldi with them and you will turn very sad. But the combination of GPO and Hunter's strings works very well.

I personally think that spending money on high end libraries is an incredible waste of resources. I still prefer to spend my money on violin strings (believe me, they cost a lot and you eat them up for breakfast, I've snapped expensive strings after a week...) and a couple of more dinners out with the lady and or friends. I am an amateur, of course, but I do not understand pros, too: if you are a pro in music and you do not have access to a real orchestra for the final "rendition" of your work... well, there is something out of tune here, or something I do not get. But that's my way to relate to music. I know there are lots of people needing excellent sounding final renditions (with a very specific sound footprint) for commercial purposes, so they go for those types of libraries. If you are in that kind of club, I guess you just have to follow that kind of path.

For what concerns me, I got fed up, I un-installed almost the totality of my libraries and kept a basic palette of sounds (most of which are my own patches) I use for studying purposes. Vst's are a nice game (and an addictive one) but they distract me from my main interest (as a hobbyst), which is making music on a real instrument.

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    I personally think that spending money on high end libraries is an incredible waste of resources. I still prefer to spend my money on violin strings (believe me, they cost a lot and you eat them up for breakfast, I've snapped expensive strings after a week...) and a couple of more dinners out with the lady and or friends. I am an amateur, of course, but I do not understand pros, too: if you are a pro in music and you do not have access to a real orchestra for the final "rendition" of your work... well, there is something out of tune here, or something I do not get. But that's my way to relate to music. I know there are lots of people needing excellent sounding final renditions (with a very specific sound footprint) for commercial purposes, so they go for those types of libraries. If you are in that kind of club, I guess you just have to follow that kind of path.

For what concerns me, I got fed up, I un-installed almost the totality of my libraries and kept a basic palette of sounds (most of which are my own patches) I use for studying purposes. Vst's are a nice game (and an addictive one) but they distract me from my main interest (as a hobbyst), which is making music on a real instrument.

Fab
    Yes Fab,
    here you go to the core of my questions about viritual instruments.

For what can I use VIs?
    -For sketches and compositions? For final music? For functional music (like film, theater or adventurer (CD))? For small ensembles, folk, orchestra? For final music CDs?
    And, how much money and time will it take for me to achieve what results?
    I'm I better of buying and learning yet some more real instruments (violin, cello, clarinet, flute, trumpet)?

Right now I'm making a fairytale CD for children, with songs, music and soundeffects. I believe using VIs for arranging and sketching is good. But I'm unsure about which way to go with a lot of instrumentation.
    I think tuba, some perc, piano will be ok as VIs. The rest, I'm not sure.

Oh... you are going too deep and vastly overstating my knowledge of these things

I understand you are aiming to be a professional.
    I guess there are lots of things you can do with VI's, basically everything you said.
    I warmly suggest you to try to have a chat with a professional in the music field (either making use of VI's or not) and get some sort of guidance.

The only thing I feel to tell you as an hobbyst/amateur is that music is a serious job, very competitive and requiring a very specific and rich set of tools/knowledge. In order to acquire those, one probably doesn't need much more than a cheap piano (or even a midi keyboard) and lots of time and effort, as much as you are willing or can put into it. If money should be spent, it would be better to spend it on getting a proper education (not necessarily college, a good private teacher will do).
    Once you'll have acquired the main tools, whether to invest on VI's, real instruments or something else will probably come pretty much by itself.
    I do not see why a talented composer would need a full fledged notation program and a huge high-end bank of sounds.
    I am pretty sure said talent can nail the same impressive job on Musescore( free open source notation) and a soundfont, or even just his piano. Paganini did what he did with only a violin, and we still listen to his music (almost) 200 years after his death. Mozart is said to be able to compose just in his mind.

Some become composers, some arrangers, some other performers. Some a combination of those. All of them are necessary to music production.
    Nowadays, there is this new professional figure of the MIDI musician, who is is a little bit a composer, a bit arranger, some sort of performer and audio engineer. I will not judge how does it compares vs the more traditional "jobs" in music... but I know people pay big bucks filling opera theaters and concerts, I do not know anyone willing to pay for a midi performance. For the moment, at least.

But again, I am merely a hobbyist, do not listen too attentively to my words.

Fab

Thanks Fab!

Go Back to forum