• Register
  • Help

Topic: GAS Basic questions

Share/Bookmark

Question GAS Basic questions

I rendered a piano sonata I'm working on with GPO2 over the summer. I was going to redo it with the Steinway in GPO4, but now I'm considering a move over to GAS Basic for this instead. I originally dismissed Basic because it's limited to the under-the-lid mic position. I figured "well, if it were a live performance, the audience wouldn't exactly be clustered around the piano." However, I came up with an idea that's making me rethink my attitude toward GAS Basic. Before I decide whether or not to take the plunge, I'd like to ask a a question, then I have a followup question:

1. I like to use reverb because I enjoy a resonant sound space with a sense of some distance between the listener and the stage. I'm currently using Ambience, but I'll be graduating to Altiverb soon. If I applied reverb to GAS Basic (judiciously of course!) would this produce the effect of sitting up in the balcony of a concert hall? If the answer is yes (and assuming that it wouldn't take too much reverb to pull it off), I think it would be a nice listening effect. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who is using GAS Basic this way.

2. If I purchase GAS Basic, would there be an upgrade path to GAS2 whenever it comes out? Knowing the great way Mr. Garritan does business, I'd be surprised if the answer was no. And I figure that I probably don't even need to ask, but I wanted to find out if there'd be a definitive answer on that.

Thanks!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Re: GAS Basic questions

Yes, the judicious use of reverb should produce the effect of which you speak.

I also bump up the high frequency end of the Garritan Basic Steinway just a tad with equalization to produce a clean, crisp sound like this:

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resour...sSteinwayD.mp3

The above is my "Dueling Hands".

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Here is something I threw together using Altiverb with the GPO4 Steinway and the GAS.

0:00 - 1:07 GPO4 Steinway dry
    1:08 - 2:16 GAS dry
    2:17 - 3:25 GPO4 Steinway with Altiverb
    3:26 - 4:34 GAS with Altiverb

MP3 DEMO

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Here is something I threw together using Altiverb with the GPO4 Steinway and the GAS.

0:00 - 1:07 GPO4 Steinway dry
    1:08 - 2:16 GAS dry
    2:17 - 3:25 GPO4 Steinway with Altiverb
    3:26 - 4:34 GAS with Altiverb

MP3 DEMO
    Dan, fantastic demo, and it really shows the difference in sound quality between the two Steinways.

Gentlemen, thanks so much for your input, and I'll say GAS Basic -- sold!

(By the way, I did my taxes Friday night, and the refund I'll be getting back from the Feds will be enough to pay for GAS Basic, Altiverb, a new sound card, and still have some left over. I'm such a lucky boy! Hee hee!! )

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

FANTASTIC STEVE!!!!

feel free to email me if you have any questions about Altiverb once you get it.

By the way, Altiverb can be installed on as many computers as you like and a dongle is used to allow use. I use a dongle for Altiverb and it is transparent in it's existence, but if you only have one computer, you don't have to use a dongle, you can simply authorize it with a challenge response. That's right, Audio Ease let's you decide. I originally used the challenge response, but later decided to change it and I got a dongle so I could use it on my laptop too.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    FANTASTIC STEVE!!!!

feel free to email me if you have any questions about Altiverb once you get it.

By the way, Altiverb can be installed on as many computers as you like and a dongle is used to allow use. I use a dongle for Altiverb and it is transparent in it's existence, but if you only have one computer, you don't have to use a dongle, you can simply authorize it with a challenge response. That's right, Audio Ease let's you decide. I originally used the challenge response, but later decided to change it and I got a dongle so I could use it on my laptop too.

Dan
    Ah Dan, muchas gracias -- I really appreciate your willingness to provide expertise in times of to avoid . (Yeah, ain't that cute?) I have downloaded all of your Altiverb video tutes, so I'll study them closely, and hopefully that will keep any questions down to a minimum.

By the way, did you see my post this afternoon about YellowTools on the "how much reverb to use with Ambience?" thread at the General Discussion forum? If they keep doing business that way, then I predict YellowTools will end up folding like a piece of...

Origami

Steve

I did see that,,,
    Altiverb by Audio Ease is just wonderful,,
    did I say that already?
    Dan

The difference is pretty drastic isn't it? I always thought the GPO4 Steinway was really good, but when heard back to back like that there's not much comparison in quality.

Thanks for taking the time to put together that demo Dan.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    The difference is pretty drastic isn't it? I always thought the GPO4 Steinway was really good, but when heard back to back like that there's not much comparison in quality.

Thanks for taking the time to put together that demo Dan.
    Agreed, and Dan's demo really sealed the deal for me on purchasing the GAS library. I'm really glad I rethought my attitude toward Basic, and I can't wait to hear my piano sonata-in-progress from the balcony of a fine European concert hall (virtually speaking, of course)!

By the way, Steve, you should check out the piling on about YellowTools taking place here. I'd say that we dodged not a bullet, but an artillery shell. Yeeessshhh!!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    Agreed, and Dan's demo really sealed the deal for me on purchasing the GAS library. I'm really glad I rethought my attitude toward Basic, and I can't wait to hear my piano sonata-in-progress from the balcony of a fine European concert hall (virtually speaking, of course)!

By the way, Steve, you should check out the piling on about YellowTools taking place here. I'd say that we dodged not a bullet, but an artillery shell. Yeeessshhh!!!

Steve
    I did see that. In fact after I replied to this thread I went over there and took a look. We certainly did luck out on that one.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Go Back to forum