• Register
  • Help

Topic: tiny, tiny bit of Mendelssohn

Share/Bookmark

tiny, tiny bit of Mendelssohn

Someone on the Finale forums has been trolling, insisting that Finale doesn't do MIDI well, that it doesn't do tempo changes, etc...
    I beg to differ.

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/example...io_excerpt.mp3

this tiny excerpt from the 2nd movement of the Mendelssohn D minor piano trio, was done in Finale, the score exactly "as is". Additional hairpins and slurs are hidden.

I added some invisible articulations and expressions for mild tempo changes, but other than that, this is notation performing "as written".

The instruments are all Garritan, all the time... Garritan Strad, Garritan Goffer, and GAS.

Re: tiny, tiny bit of Mendelssohn

If this someone is from "Taiwan" then I know the reason he's trolling. Let me know, or link me and I'll tell you more...

There's a guy actually claiming that he developed a much more decent midi system inside Finale 201x... probably this is why he's making such claims!

Sounds good though, Michel! (though I can't say I fancy too much good old 'Mendy'... )

yes, this is him.
    he is constantly posting links to a Yootoob video of a "Finale 201x" which supposedly has a better MIDI capability, and yes, the "Taiwan Finale Development Team" is involved.

Last I checked, Eden Prairie wasn't in Taiwan.

But do tell, Niko, don't be shy.
    People attempting to run scams need to be outed and shamed in public.

He's been spaming the SOL forums as well (can't link them...). He also has a webpage (http://blog.yam.com/chen77910, I hope you don't mind guys... we can contact him there), and he seems quite the awful type of spammer: The human type!

I don't think it's a scam, just an awful, obnoxious way to advertise about something. He's awful and should be banned immediately wherever possible. I mean perhaps his product can be of use, but despite that he needs to contact Make Music and come in terms with the fact that he can't spam like that all around the Internet!

It sounds fine.

A few years back some people were having difficulty getting realistic sounding files with notation programs. So some people were composing with notation and then porting to a sequencer for the sound file.

Others started composing with a sequencer and then ported that to a notation program if they quantized or sequenced without a structured beat and then made a separate quantized file if a score was desired.

A few were able to get a realistic sounding file with a notation program.

Has Finale matured to the point where it sounds good without too much tweaking or has it always just been the user not utilizing those features that can give it realism?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    He's been spaming the SOL forums as well (can't link them...). He also has a webpage (http://blog.yam.com/chen77910, I hope you don't mind guys... we can contact him there), and he seems quite the awful type of spammer: The human type!

I don't think it's a scam, just an awful, obnoxious way to advertise about something. He's awful and should be banned immediately wherever possible. I mean perhaps his product can be of use, but despite that he needs to contact Make Music and come in terms with the fact that he can't spam like that all around the Internet!
    I'm wondering if anyone has reported this guy to MakeMusic. It sounds like some coypright infringement may be involved, but at the very least libel for what he's saying about Finale. If MakeMusic has any legal recourse, I'd love to see them use it here. (I'm by no means a fan of lawyers, but they are good to have around when you need them.)

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

HI Michel,
    This accurately reflects the Romantic style.
    Any software is as good as the user's ability to control. When I was finishing the Albinoni Adagio, I almost submitted it with a bit of tempo alteration. I decided to make it better and it took another hour.

Gary

Well, nothing wrong there. Pity it stops so soon, because I happen to like Mendelssohn, and particularly his piano trios. Such deeply moving and romantic music! Your rendering is perfectly fine. The strings could be a tad louder, but that wasn't your point.

One more thought: on the internet, the rule of thumb is: don't feed the trolls. They don't listen, they will just react to your response with almost exactly the argument you've just debunked, and then turn the flame on you. It's not worth it.

But it was very nice to hear Felix!
    Theo

Go Back to forum