I have been offered-
    Mirislav solo 1+2
    Dan Dean Cello
    Y.Tools Pure Guitars
    Advanced Orchestra
    QLB 2+3
    Peter Erskine drums
    All in AKAI format and at a fair price.
    All the disks are original AFAIK (genuine cd booklets etc)
    My only problem is with the liscience agreements,ie will i be able to actually use any of the samples for \"monetary gain\" (cd\'s+ maybe some documentary scores)

I know this is not really the place to ask, but, they will all be converted to giga + as far as forums go, this has got to be the most
    freindly/helpfull/knowledgable on the net!-insert \'sucky\' sample HERE

Thanks in advance

oops, the dan dean is giga (solo strings not just cello)

------------------
    The Blob

[This message has been edited by Blob (edited 04-23-2001).]

Re: Need advice on \'second hand\' sample disks

Shame there is no icon for a \'shady geezer\'
    \"psst..wanna buy some samplesss?\"

Hi!

YOu have got to be very very careful with Second Hand stuff. In case you are living in the USA: DO NOT TOUCH THEM.

In case you are living in Germany: Buy them!

Licensee agreements have to match your countries law.

regards

------------------
    O.H.

I\'m confused, this doesn\'t sound like he is buying copies, it sounds like he is buying the original disks. Is this not do\'able? After all I have a few sample cd\'s I don\'t use and need to sell them also. Is this not possible?

> Is this not do\'able

Actually, even GIVING a sample library away is usually not allowed.

If you have Distorted Reality 2, or Sympphony of Voices, or pretty much any recent Spectrasonics/Eric Persing produnction, check out your own original booklet that came with the CDs: it\'s very very clear that the sounds are not yours to sell or resell, your are buying a license to use them yourself and that is all.

Thanks for the replies

1, Im in the UK,does that make any difference?
    2, I know the seller personally (10yrs)
    and Trust him implicitly (i hope the spell checker works )
    3. Robert, if what you say is true (and i have no reason to doubt you) then is there a way to re-licience the disks?

Im currently \'playing\' with the yellow tools guitars, (Nice 12 string) and looking at the agreement it says \"If you buy a Yellow tools product, you\'ll get a single licience for use of the sounds/samples for your music production\" (it also states in BIG letters \"All samples are 100% clean\" !)
    Not being \'legally minded\' (it\'s also been said that i\'m a few Khz short of cd quality!)
    does this NOT mean as long as i have purchased said disk, i can use it ?

I\'m a bit confused (as well as a bit dis-chuffed at the possibility that they might not be mine )

Thanks again for your help

------------------
    The Blob

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blob:
    Thanks for the replies

1, Im in the UK,does that make any difference?
    2, I know the seller personally (10yrs)
    and Trust him implicitly (i hope the spell checker works )
    3. Robert, if what you say is true (and i have no reason to doubt you) then is there a way to re-licience the disks?

Im currently \'playing\' with the yellow tools guitars, (Nice 12 string) and looking at the agreement it says \"If you buy a Yellow tools product, you\'ll get a single licience for use of the sounds/samples for your music production\" (it also states in BIG letters \"All samples are 100% clean\" !)
    Not being \'legally minded\' (it\'s also been said that i\'m a few Khz short of cd quality!)
    does this NOT mean as long as i have purchased said disk, i can use it ?

I\'m a bit confused (as well as a bit dis-chuffed at the possibility that they might not be mine )

Thanks again for your help

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi there,

The unfortunate situation is that if you buy sample CDs second hand, especially the ones you mention you won\'t have the license to re-use those samples in your music. Essentially when you purchase a sample library, you\'re not purchasing the physical CDs - you are rather purchasing the license from the sample developers to use the samples in your music (the CDs are classified as a means of delivering the samples to you for use in your music). The license cannot be re-sold to another person and as it works with most major sample libraries, the only one who has the legal right to use the samples is the original person who bought the library (thus buying the non-transferable license to use the samples). This is much different from computer software or even music CDs, which are readily bought and re-sold on the used market.

As far as I know this applies worldwide wherever these libraries are sold commercially, even in the UK. Even if all of the libraries come with all of the booklets/original CDs your friend can\'t re-sell them because he doesn\'t have a license to re-sell them (it should say this in the back of all of the booklets on the discs you mention). Be careful - both you and your friend could get into trouble by selling or using sample for which a legal license hasn\'t been purchased for.

I\'m not sure how this works for sample libraries if the libraries are still shrinkwrapped with the registration cards however - perhaps a sample developer here would be willing to provide their insight?

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at
    www.soniccontrol.com/gigasampler/

Hiya Ryan,

I\'ve just looked at the pure guitars agreement again and it does actually state that any lending/re-sale etc is \"expressley forbidden\"..bugger!

My bud is calling round later with the rest of the cd\'s for me to \'play\' with before i buy..
    Can i tell him tommorow?

ps It might be legal (rip open packaging of nice new sequencer, out drops tiny piece of paper-\"By opening the shrinkwrap on this product you lawfully agree that we may/may not sell your wife/children and give you a \'good duffing\' when we are not hoisting beta software on unsuspecting victi...err customers\"

But is it ethical?

Thanks for the advice

------------------
    The Blob

My personal opinion is that if your friend is not keeping copies of the samples, and doesn\'t have them loaded anywhere on his system, then I don\'t see an ethical problem with him selling them to you. I think in general the legality surrounding the resale of samples is to prevent people from simply copying the CD and then selling you the original while keeping the copy. Or with .gigs, installing them on your machine and then selling the CD\'s, since once they are installed you don\'t need the CD\'s anymore.

It DOES sound like it isn\'t legal though, so tread lightly. I kind of doubt anyone would ever be able to know that you weren\'t the orignial purchaser except with some of the newer libraries like QL Brass that have digital watermarks on them.

Perhaps some of the actual sample makers like Nick or Dan could chime in with their opinion. I could be way off.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast