• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Scoring for Strings

Share/Bookmark

Scoring for Strings

My background is in pop music but I\'d like to score for strings. Can anyone recommend a decent book that covers scoring orchestral music in depth?

Also, does anyone have any advice for programming orchestral music? Favourite sample CD\'s? Useful web links?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Scoring for Strings

The books i\'m studying at the moment (apart from my logic manual!)

Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov
    Principles of Orchestration

Walter Piston
    Orchestration

and (more modern)
    John Cacavas
    The Art of Writing Music

These cover the \'mechanics\' and to a degree the \'how the hell does he get that sound\'
    type of thing
    But to be honest with you i find listening to
    \'Orchestral\' music (Ravel,Walton,Copeland etc) much more helpful

My old music tutor once said \"if you want to learn about writing for the orchestra, listen to an orchestra\"

Hope this helps

------------------
    The Blob

Hi,

Advanced Orchestra is great starting point, and of course we are all waiting for the GigaStrings.But you can\'t go wrong with AO..and links, try this... http://www.soniccontrol.com/tech/midi/articles/090199/digitalorchestra.shtml
    http://www.soniccontrol.com/tech/midi/articles/120199/feature.shtml

best of luck...

My instructor once told us that to learn orchestral techniques, one should study the scores themselves. I would recommend \"Instrumentally Speaking\" by Robert Russell Bennett. I think that the book is out of print, but many libraries should have a copy.
    Try also studying string quartets. The Dan Dean and x-sample libraries contain solo strings, but would be excellent sounds to start with, then move perhaps to Gigastrings.

\"Instrumentation and Orchestration\" by Alfred Blatter is the textbook I used in my orchestration class. Another good one (mayne mroe standard as a college text), that is a good complement to the Blatter, is \"The Study of Orchestration\" by Samuel Adler. It also has an optional workbook and CD set. You can get either from Amazon or B&N.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tokyo Joe:
    My background is in pop music but I\'d like to score for strings. Can anyone recommend a decent book that covers scoring orchestral music in depth?

Also, does anyone have any advice for programming orchestral music? Favourite sample CD\'s? Useful web links?

Thanks in advance.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might try the \'Writing for Strings\' course from Alexander University (www.alexuniv.com). The course is $149 and uses the revised Rimsky-Korsakov book that has additions in it from Peter Alexander that relate to film scoring and MIDI.

The class seems to run at a good pace. There are 20+ lessons. The first 5 focus on the ensemble sections. The lessons then progress from simple chord progressions and possible ways to distribute the voices within the different ensembles to simple ways to do counterpoint. The final consists of choosing 3-5 \'non-original\' songs and orchestrating them for the string sections. MP3 files are sent in and feedback is given.

I have two of his other books Applied Professional Harmony 1 and 2. Those two books have some really good insight into creating harmony given a melody.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I\'m definately going to check out the books you all mentioned.

Also, would anyone be willing to let me hear some of the music they are producing using Orchestral samples and arrangements? I\'m curious as to how far you can push the envelope when using Giga and orchestral samples as opposed to a real string section.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

In my experience, listening to music is what gives the most insight as to how an orchestra sounds and behaves. Of course the music you listen to will have an influence on your orchestration and style. Like, I am sure people can hear from my music that I am mainly influenced by film composers like John Williams and Danny Elfman as opposed to classical composers. I got a huge book on film scoring called \"On The Track\" which is very interesting, but not as insightful in the actual orchestration as the whole process of making a score. Then someone else mentioned the book by xxxxxxx Blatter, which is really detailed, describing each instruments origin, scale, which ways you can play it etc. - interesting stuff, especially if you want to get in to writing score parts out on paper for a real orchestra. I didn´t feel it gave me a lot composing or arranging wise. You can check out my page at http://www.melomaniac.dk if you want

In my experience, listening to music is what gives the most insight as to how an orchestra sounds and behaves. Of course the music you listen to will have an influence on your orchestration and style. Like, I am sure people can hear from my music that I am mainly influenced by film composers like John Williams and Danny Elfman as opposed to classical composers. I got a huge book on film scoring called \"On The Track\" which is very interesting, but not as insightful in the actual orchestration as the whole process of making a score. Then someone else mentioned the book by xxxxxxx Blatter, which is really detailed, describing each instruments origin, scale, which ways you can play it etc. - interesting stuff, especially if you want to get in to writing score parts out on paper for a real orchestra. I didn´t feel it gave me a lot composing or arranging wise. You can check out my page at http://www.melomaniac.dk if you want

Go Back to forum