• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Concerto 1. Third Movement. Presto

Share/Bookmark

Smile Piano Concerto 1. Third Movement. Presto

This is the 3rd ( last movement) of my first piano Concerto, and is a much faster piece than the 1st and 2nd movements that are, at present, on page 2 of the 'Listening Room'.
    This short 3rd movement starts and finishes with a Presto theme and sandwiched in the middle is a slow, variation of the Presto theme.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9475750

I do hope that you enjoy the music, Antony

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE TO HEAR MORE OF MY MUSIC

www.flatfourmusicstore.co.uk

Re: Piano Concerto 1. Third Movement. Presto

Bold, romantic opening, than agitated. I liked the joint playing of piano and orchestra in this part. Then follow some variations, in which piano and orchestra complement each other nicely. To my ears they are more "in concert" than in movements 1 and 2. The ending comes abrupt, in the middle of a phrase. I think you could have repeated the last variation with piano and orchestra more towards a climax, at least, that would be more in the romantic style.

Sound-wise, all instruments, including the piano, seem very distant in softer passages. Did you use the volume control to change the dynamics?

But it's an enjoyable movement. And congratulations on completing a whole piano concerto.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Bold, romantic opening, than agitated. I liked the joint playing of piano and orchestra in this part. Then follow some variations, in which piano and orchestra complement each other nicely. To my ears they are more "in concert" than in movements 1 and 2. The ending comes abrupt, in the middle of a phrase. I think you could have repeated the last variation with piano and orchestra more towards a climax, at least, that would be more in the romantic style.

Sound-wise, all instruments, including the piano, seem very distant in softer passages. Did you use the volume control to change the dynamics?

But it's an enjoyable movement. And congratulations on completing a whole piano concerto.
    Hello Theo, your response to my Piano Concerto 1. 3rd movement is very much appreciated.
    I agree with your comment about the abrupt ending- I could have ended the piece more in the Romantic style. But I decided to end abruptly, knowing that this might cause controversy.

Concerning your comment about the sound seeming distant in the softer passages, I commenced a slower, softer passage at 1'03"
    At 1'26" I commenced a segment for string orchestra which was also slow and, at first, very soft, before building towards a crescendo. At 3'11", I return to the first theme for piano and orchestra, but at a somewhat quieter volume than the opening of the movement.

I thank you enormously for your posts on all three movements of the concerto. Antony

I enjoyed your final movement.

Structurally it's quite solid and moves well.

I don't care for reverb especially on the piano but maybe it's just a matter of taste.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I enjoyed your final movement.

Structurally it's quite solid and moves well.

I don't care for reverb especially on the piano but maybe it's just a matter of taste.

Phil
    Hi Phil. thank you for your comments. I'm sorry you found the reverb too much. I try to get as realistic an orchestral sound as possible - but in the end, it is a matter of taste, as you so rightly say ! Thanks again, it was good to hear from you. Antony

I like it. There is s... loads of musical material in this piece that would, inter alia, make phenomenal film music.... It's intelligently lyrical, so rare these days. Yes, it needs structure... the ending being symptomatic of that issue. But the music is there in spades. Which is what matters.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant View Post
    I like it. There is s... loads of musical material in this piece that would, inter alia, make phenomenal film music.... It's intelligently lyrical, so rare these days. Yes, it needs structure... the ending being symptomatic of that issue. But the music is there in spades. Which is what matters.

JG
    wow--How'd you come across this year old thread, John? Searching through the back pages I guess--But I'm sure glad you revived this, because I somehow missed it last year.

I certainly enjoyed your guitar pieces recently, Antony, and now here's something almost completely different. So animated, compelling. It's full of your wonderful musical imagination like the guitar pieces. Nice!---Hope you're around to see that your Concerto is back in the limelight!

Randy

D.....m! These things just show in my email! I don't look at dates! Hmmmmm. Well.... I gave it a listen... and there's no such thing as "belated" or "too late" or "never" in music...

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant View Post
    D.....m! These things just show in my email! I don't look at dates! Hmmmmm. Well.... I gave it a listen... and there's no such thing as "belated" or "too late" or "never" in music...

JG
    That's really something. I knew that Northern Sounds has been behaving unpredictably for awhile now, - but for you to get auto-email about a post that went up a year ago--?!---can't figure that out.

BUT, like I said, I'm very glad you revived the thread - Now I've had the chance to listen and enjoy, and others will too. No criticism intended about boosting the thread!

Randy

Go Back to forum