• Register
  • Help

Topic: I'm an official convert to GPO

Share/Bookmark

I'm an official convert to GPO

So a couple of months ago when I first purchased GPO I was pretty disappointed with what I got. In reality I was hoping that I was going to get a professional sound without having to work for it. Now several months later I'm realizing just how incredible this sample library really is. I don't think there is another library out there that gives you the customization that GPO offers and certainly not for the price. And this is not all. The instrument samples are as good as any on the market. I first heard about GPO from a friend who had a "trial" or "lite" version that came with Finale. I was so close to buying Miroslav Philharmonik or East West Silver but when I saw the customization available with GPO I figured I would be happier with more options. It's taken me about 3 months but now that I know what I'm doing I'm on cloud 9. I have never achieved this much realism with my music. I was planning on purchasing an additional library but now I can't justify it. Anymore my roommates can't tell if I'm watching a video of a live orchestra or if I'm listening to a piece I wrote with GPO.

Cheers for a quality product!

Re: I'm an official convert to GPO

Thanks Dane,

As people delve into the available features, and begin to learn the effective application of the features, they tend to find that these libraries are capable of achieving a great deal. Have fun discovering the possibilities!

Tom

Applause for you, Dane - In one post, you summarize exactly what needs to be explained to new Garritan users.

Because of the nature of many other virtual instruments today, people get accustomed to having a fully produced sound emit from their speakers simply by pushing a note on their keyboards. Sonar's Dimension synth is a good example. That's a very useful sample player, but the huge package of pre-sets that come with it are all dripping with reverb, bouncing echoes, chorusing effects etc - they are instantly gratifying. But then problems set in when a user tries to get a pile of those kind of sounds blending in a mix - all the patches are competing for center stage, and the results can be ugly.

In GPO, and all the Garritan Libraries, it's the pure instrumental sound you get - ready for you to use in a totally flexible way.

There's a thread at the Sonar Forum about JABB - Some people on the thread were confused, saying that all they heard from JABB were flat, lifeless sine-wave-like toots. --Obviously they hadn't cracked the manual--Now that thread is full of good advice from users explaining that once a Sax or brass instrument has been chosen in JABB, then you need to PLay that instrument with CC1 for constant volume control (or CC11) and Aftertouch for vibrato applied logically, and CC17 for vibrato speed variation. Once you are playing the instruments like that - hey wow-- you have some Jazz!

And so forth.--- Your post got me excited. It's always great to see a new user who really Gets what's going on with these incredibly useful Garritan instruments.

Thanks for the inspiring post!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Because of the nature of many other virtual instruments today, people get accustomed to having a fully produced sound emit from their speakers simply by pushing a note on their keyboards. Sonar's Dimension synth is a good example. That's a very useful sample player, but the huge package of pre-sets that come with it are all dripping with reverb, bouncing echoes, chorusing effects etc - they are instantly gratifying. But then problems set in when a user tries to get a pile of those kind of sounds blending in a mix - all the patches are competing for center stage, and the results can be ugly.

In GPO, and all the Garritan Libraries, it's the pure instrumental sound you get - ready for you to use in a totally flexible way.
    Well put Randy. Your post reminds me of the famous poem - "The Master's Touch"

It was battered and scarred,
    And the auctioneer thought it
    hardly worth his while
    To waste his time on the old violin,
    but he held it up with a smile.

"What am I bid, good people", he cried,
    "Who starts the bidding for me?"
    "One dollar, one dollar, Do I hear two?"
    "Two dollars, who makes it three?"
    "Three dollars once, three dollars twice, going for three,"

But, No,
    From the room far back a gray bearded man
    Came forward and picked up the bow,
    Then wiping the dust from the old violin
    And tightening up the strings,
    He played a melody, pure and sweet
    As sweet as the angel sings.

The music ceased and the auctioneer
    With a voice that was quiet and low,
    Said "What now am I bid for this old violin?"
    As he held it aloft with its' bow.

"One thousand, one thousand, Do I hear two?"
    "Two thousand, Who makes it three?"
    "Three thousand once, three thousand twice,
    Going and gone", said he.

The audience cheered,
    But some of them cried,
    "We just don't understand."
    "What changed its' worth?"

Swift came the reply.
    "The Touch of the Masters Hand."

Myra Brooks Welch

Hi Dane

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum! Posts like yours inspire us to do even more.

I'm glad you stuck with it and dived in. We will give you even more in the future. I hope these tools make it possible for you to make great music.

The magic is with the magician, not the wand.

My best,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    So a couple of months ago when I first purchased GPO I was pretty disappointed with what I got. In reality I was hoping that I was going to get a professional sound without having to work for it. Now several months later I'm realizing just how incredible this sample library really is. I don't think there is another library out there that gives you the customization that GPO offers and certainly not for the price. And this is not all. The instrument samples are as good as any on the market. I first heard about GPO from a friend who had a "trial" or "lite" version that came with Finale. I was so close to buying Miroslav Philharmonik or East West Silver but when I saw the customization available with GPO I figured I would be happier with more options. It's taken me about 3 months but now that I know what I'm doing I'm on cloud 9. I have never achieved this much realism with my music. I was planning on purchasing an additional library but now I can't justify it. Anymore my roommates can't tell if I'm watching a video of a live orchestra or if I'm listening to a piece I wrote with GPO.

Cheers for a quality product!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

There's a thread at the Sonar Forum about JABB - Some people on the thread were confused, saying that all they heard from JABB were flat, lifeless sine-wave-like toots. --Obviously they hadn't cracked the manual--Now that thread is full of good advice from users explaining that once a Sax or brass instrument has been chosen in JABB, then you need to PLay that instrument with CC1 for constant volume control (or CC11) and Aftertouch for vibrato applied logically, and CC17 for vibrato speed variation. Once you are playing the instruments like that - hey wow-- you have some Jazz!

And so forth.---
    Randy (furthermore),

The decision to design a library to be very playable or sound pleasant initially was something we grappled with when GPO first came out.

We knew there were libraries that had an initial pleasing tone, but the problem is - they were not playable and there was not much you could do beyond the initial pleasing tones. It would be easy to record strings in a beautiful reverberant hall starting with no vibrato and flowing into a lush vibrato. But once this is burned into samples you cannot remove them. Better to give the musician the choice and the ability to play the instrument as he pleases.

But in today's society first impressions seem to be important. There are things we can do now that can produce an impressive out-of-the-box sound. We will be adding convolution to ARIA so there will be sampled reverb that can be loaded (and defeated by the user). We can also write a script to evolve notes from senza vibrato to a maudlin vibrato when first struck.

There is a great deal we can do if we go this path. Or we can just leave it as plain vanilla and let the user create their masterpiece from the raw clay. Or we can both. Nice to have options.

All the best,

Gary

Two great reads from you on this thread, Gary - Thanks - Loved seeing "The Master's Touch" again, and your rap about the philosophy you developed for your software instruments is something I want to keep track of so I can point other people in its direction when needed. Thanks!

Randy

Go Back to forum