• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Accurately replicating a real orchestra with samples is impossible... right? Right!?

Share/Bookmark

Accurately replicating a real orchestra with samples is impossible... right? Right!?

I knew we were close, but wow...

The technology is definitely here, but the question is when it will be available to the general public. This is one of the only pieces I've ever heard where I can actually completely forget that it's not real, and that it was done on a computer. This is, so to speak, an "Avatar" moment of music (if you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean, if not, it's pretty much the moment of "holy crap this is amazing" where you have to stop to remind your self it's not real).

To top it all off, it's a very nice track as well, and very enjoyable to listen too. I would say this is the best I've ever heard from samples/midi. If you think that a real orchestra will never be able to be accurately replicated, listen to this, and prepare to have your mind blown.

http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/2SFH...f_Mischief.mp3

Re: Accurately replicating a real orchestra with samples is impossible... right? Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    I knew we were close, but wow...

The technology is definitely here, but the question is when it will be available to the general public. This is one of the only pieces I've ever heard where I can actually completely forget that it's not real, and that it was done on a computer. This is, so to speak, an "Avatar" moment of music (if you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean, if not, it's pretty much the moment of "holy crap this is amazing" where you have to stop to remind your self it's not real).

To top it all off, it's a very nice track as well, and very enjoyable to listen too. I would say this is the best I've ever heard from samples/midi. If you think that a real orchestra will never be able to be accurately replicated, listen to this, and prepare to have your mind blown.

http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/2SFH...f_Mischief.mp3
    I think that is a real orchestra. That's the demo on the EW site for their Spaces plugin and I believe if you watch the video you'll see he said it's a real recording but a little on the dry side.

Of course I could be wrong.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Re: Accurately replicating a real orchestra with samples is impossible... right? Rig

I was told it was samples, but the guy who told me could be wrong. I've listened to other tracks by Mr. Bergesen, and it sounds like his orchestra and choir. I'll double check.

I was told it was samples, but the guy who told me could be wrong. I've listened to other tracks by Mr. Bergesen, and it sounds like his orchestra and choir. I'll double check.
    You could be right. After I posted that I went to their site to look but it doesn't mention that. I was strictly going by that video for Spaces but I certainly could have misunderstood. Whatever the case it sounds good either way

I agree. Sounds amazing anyway you look at it.

Really an amazing track but after watching the video I think he's demonstrating the reverb on a pre-recorded soundstage track providing a "wash" over the already present ambient sound. He does go on to say that if you have dry recordings like samples etc that you can use it to good effect on these as well.

My conclusion is that it's a real orchestra - enhanced by the very clear sounding reverb to place the performance in that S. Cal Hall.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Not a real orchestra, or at least not most of it. What I wouldn't give to have his sounds...

"Many people ask me what sounds I use and assume that it's all East West/Hollywood Strings etc. True, I use some of those sounds too, but I have developed my own very advanced and highly playable custom set of sounds over the last 10 years, and they are unique to my studio and my music. I have recorded orchestras and unique instruments and voices all over the world. What you hear in the "Tower of Mischief" cue is mostly produced using my own proprietary orchestral sample set."

Edit: Just got conformation that this track is 100% samples, made with his own custom ones and some commercial.

What you hear in the "Tower of Mischief" cue is mostly produced using my own proprietary orchestral sample set."

Edit: Just got conformation that this track is 100% samples, made with his own custom ones and some commercial.
    That is f*ckin' incredible! Wow. I suspect we are approaching singularity! What a fantastic and sort of scary thing. Thanks Mike135 for investigating this.

Amazing.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

T.J. is very well known in other places! He has created some amazing stuff, including the fact that he took part in what is generally known as 'the prague project'. Basically he along with another few people (the developer of Project SAM libraries, Marteen and other few) chipped in and went in Prague and recorded the library, in THEIR specifications to use but not give away forever! So only 4 people that I know off, have this library.

T.J. also is the creator of the new strings library by EW/QL (Hollywood strings), and I'm assuming that this is the strings that sound here so great with the runs, etc. Personally I don't fancy this particular library, and I am tired of this kind of very boom boom sound, but I can see how it can be impressive!

Finally T.J. is one amazing composer for midi works and one amazing composer period! It's always unfair to present any kind of demos made by him! It's the exact opposite to what Gary does: Gary gives away 1000s (literally) of demos from all kinds of users. Other companies hire Thomas to do the work, and trick people into believing they can get the same sound! Only they can't, cause like Chuck Norris: There can be only one T.J.!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    T.J. is very well known in other places! He has created some amazing stuff, including the fact that he took part in what is generally known as 'the prague project'. Basically he along with another few people (the developer of Project SAM libraries, Marteen and other few) chipped in and went in Prague and recorded the library, in THEIR specifications to use but not give away forever! So only 4 people that I know off, have this library.

T.J. also is the creator of the new strings library by EW/QL (Hollywood strings), and I'm assuming that this is the strings that sound here so great with the runs, etc. Personally I don't fancy this particular library, and I am tired of this kind of very boom boom sound, but I can see how it can be impressive!

Finally T.J. is one amazing composer for midi works and one amazing composer period! It's always unfair to present any kind of demos made by him! It's the exact opposite to what Gary does: Gary gives away 1000s (literally) of demos from all kinds of users. Other companies hire Thomas to do the work, and trick people into believing they can get the same sound! Only they can't, cause like Chuck Norris: There can be only one T.J.!
    Excellent point. I was going to say, and it's really his words, these libraries are very specific for a specific kind of music. You could almost argue that point for most libraries out there.....except GPO.

One thing for sure is regardless of the library, I'm learning you HAVE to start out with a well refined midi file in terms of controller data, keyswitches, velocity and all that stuff to capture the performance of a piece. But even before that you have to start out with a well orchestrated piece. But at least if your midi data is clear in terms of performance, you'll find out in a hurry if the orchestration works or not

Go Back to forum