• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ensembles and Presets

Share/Bookmark

Ensembles and Presets

Can someone explain the difference? I'm setting up a percussion ensemble. I used the Percussion Ensemble in Aria, then changed around a few instruments and saved it (user ensemble). But when I left it and came back, I got different instruments. My save was lost, temporarily until I reloaded it. I saved the same combination as a Preset, and this works fine. Why would I use Ensemble? I'm thinking of treating each section of the orchestra, i.e. each string part, winds, brass, perc, etc as ensembles, but why not use Preset. I seem to be able to do the same thing.

Suggestions Welcome.
    John Newell
    www.johnnewellmusic.com
    GPO4, Garritan World Instruments, Digital Performer 7.24, Finale 2012, Miroslav Philharmonik

Re: Ensembles and Sequencer Presets

Quote Originally Posted by John Newell View Post
    Can someone explain the difference? I'm setting up a percussion ensemble. I used the Percussion Ensemble in Aria, then changed around a few instruments and saved it (user ensemble). But when I left it and came back, I got different instruments. My save was lost, temporarily until I reloaded it. I saved the same combination as a Preset, and this works fine. Why would I use Ensemble? I'm thinking of treating each section of the orchestra, i.e. each string part, winds, brass, perc, etc as ensembles, but why not use Preset. I seem to be able to do the same thing.

Suggestions Welcome.
    A duh moment, John. The Preset is in your sequencer, Digital Performer. Reserve the Ensemble function in Aria for the string instrument groups (vl 1, vl 2, etc). Try the Presets for the wind groupings (fl, etc), as you said.

Your friend, John
    John Newell
    www.johnnewellmusic.com
    GPO4, Garritan World Instruments, Digital Performer 7.24, Finale 2012, Miroslav Philharmonik

Go Back to forum