• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is the best HARP VI?

Share/Bookmark

What is the best HARP VI?

I need a harp VI/sample library that includes pedal glissandi (for example, the player plucks the C string with the pedal set to C-flat, then while the note is ringing, presses the pedal to C natural).

So far, I've found two that include this: the Sonivox (orig, Sonic Implants) library for Gigastudio for $249 (surprised that a library for a defunct platform would remain so expensive), and the VSI Harp for $179 (plus dongle). Which is better? Are there any others?

Also, I don't know if these instruments have only pedal gliss UP 1/2 step, or do they include up/down 1/2 and whole steps too?

Re: What is the best HARP VI?

There is this interesting NI library "
    http://www.sonokinetic.net/products/classical/arpeggio/
    among other things features glissandi in different styles ...
    And it's about 50 euros for 4 GB.

Hope that helps.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by bosmarth View Post
    There is this interesting NI library "
    http://www.sonokinetic.net/products/classical/arpeggio/
    among other things features glissandi in different styles ...
    And it's about 50 euros for 4 GB.
    Thanks Martin, but I actually need something else. A harp "glissando" is like strumming a guitar chord (except the strings are set by the pedals and not by fingers on a fret board. A "pedal glissando is really more like a guitar hammer-on or -off. The harpist plays one or more notes, then moves the pedals to change the pitch. Most typical from flat to natural or natural to sharp, though a whole step is possible, and downward pedal glisses (actually pedals moving up) are possible, though less effective.

It's a unique sound used in a lot of modern harp music, especially solo harp, and it occurs by accident if there are too many pedal changes for the harpist to execute in time. The harpist Carlos Salzedo wrote an etude, "La Desirade" that shows off this technique beautifully:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2c8b...eature=related

It's very complex to sample, because one would need 6 samples per string at each velocity level: Cb-C, Cb-C#, C-C#m, C#-C, C#-Cb, C-Cb, etc.

In the VSL SYmphonic Harp library, Harp 2 contains pedal glissano samples as part of the Extended library. The full version is 320 Euros. I've written to their support department and waiting for an answer.

http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/442/344/354/593/395.htm

I THOUGHT that the Sonivox Orchestral Harp (for Gigastudio 3 and Kontakt 2, $259) also offered this, but rechecking their web site I don't see it listed. SO I guess the VSL is the only one. I have been faking it with pitch bend mixed with a little string buzz, but it's not the same.

Sorry - I spoke too soon ... :-)
    You do apparently look for an extensively sampled instrument.
    Difficult to beat VSL in this category...
    I thought that alternatively you might want to look at the UltimateSoundBank's IRCAM Solo Instrument collection. It's a few years old, but is meticulously sampled and includes an harp.

Below is the list of their harp articulations:

bisbigliando
    bisbigliando-with-stick
    buzzing-pedal
    clusters
    clusters-with-nail
    damped double-glissando
    glissando
    glissando-fluido-with-stick
    glissando-near-the-board
    glissando-with-nail
    glissando-with-pedal
    glissando-with-stick
    harmonic-fingering
    harmonic-in-wood
    near-the-board
    near-the-board-with-nail
    near-the-pegs
    ordinario
    pizzicato-bartok
    scratch-with-nail
    tap-on-body
    tap-with-stick
    tremolo-with-fingertips
    xylophonic sounds

Good luck!

Martin

Smile Re: What is the best HARP VI?

[QUOTE=bosmarth;664955]Sorry - I spoke too soon ... :-)
    You do apparently look for an extensively sampled instrument.
    Difficult to beat VSL in this category...
    I thought that alternatively you might want to look at the UltimateSoundBank's IRCAM Solo Instrument collection. It's a few years old, but is meticulously sampled and includes an harp.

Martin, you have saved the day! I just got an email from VSL saying that their $500 arp collection contains only half-step up pedal gliss samples. I had just resigned myself to never being able to recreate an accurate harp sound.

Anyway, I just listened to the IRCAM harp demo and heard a half-step up and hald-step down gliss among the other strange sounds - and the reference manual shows a whole-step (up) gliss . And it's $399 for an entire set of instruments (and I can use my iLok instead of a second USB key).

They have done some phenomenal things with other libraries (including VSL, I believe). For example, the steing instruments are sampled string-by string, so you can play a high violin passage "sul G", for example.

I feel comfortable with this because IRCAM does very experiemental music, so they are not delivering just the sounds needed to make a Hollywood film score mockup. The only downside (if any), is the non-standard player. This sounds like the perfect geeky composer library!

In fact, I wonder what must be "wrong". There are so many different playing techniques included, and it's not a 500-DVD set for $50,000, so what's missing? Only one velocity layer?

Go Back to forum