• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Topic: Half Pedaling

Share/Bookmark

Re: Half Pedaling

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    You would use cc64. You would also need to have the sustain resonance feature turned on. But see my first response in this thread for why you still might not perceive as much of the effect as you were looking for, and for why the coming update might help.
    Does the same apply to the Steinway in GPO4, or is it only GAS?

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

You would use cc64. You would also need to have the sustain resonance feature turned on. But see my first response in this thread for why you still might not perceive as much of the effect as you were looking for, and for why the coming update might help.
    We have all been waiting a long time for that "coming" update. I wonder why Garritan doesn't make sure that one sample library is working as it should before jumping to another project and leaving customers in the lurch? The Steinway D has not been fully functional since the get-go.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Steve,

Half-pedaling and sustain resonance only works with GAS.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Steve,

Half-pedaling and sustain resonance only works with GAS.

Jim
    That's kinda what I thought. Guess I'll have to wait for GAS2 then. While we're on the subject, does the GPO4 Steinway respond to the mute (una corda) and sostenuto pedals. I know sustain is CC64, but if the other pedals also work, what are their CC #s?

And finally, a random thought...

What if Garritan Music had changed its name to the Concert Hall Instrument Library Institute (CHILI)? Then when the original GAS came out, they could've announced it thusly:

"CHILI Produces GAS"

Just think of the marketing potential!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Please feel free to send an email to support at Garritan if there's anything in the Steinway that isn't working properly for you Larry, and we'll go to great effort to solve the issue. I'm serious (as are the others here) about doing all I can to provide support to users.

Please feel free to send an email to support at Garritan if there's anything in the Steinway that isn't working properly for you Larry, and we'll go to great effort to solve the issue. I'm serious (as are the others here) about doing all I can to provide support to users.
    I know that you will provide support, Mister Jeff and I appreciate that. It's just that we have been waiting for such a long time for the Steinway update and during that time Gary has released new merchandise instead of concentrating on making the Steinway operate as it should and THEN release new things.

In spite of this, I still think that the Garritan Authorized Steinway Model D is the best sampled piano in the Universe and beyond.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry,

The other Garritan products released were done by other programmers not working with the Steinway.

Jeff does the main programming on the Steinway. The Steinway is a very complex beast because of the massive velocity layers, samples and other features. So it takes a long time to tweak. I roomed with Jeff at NAMM last month and this guy never stopped programming! He was up at midnight programming until he left for the show in the morning the first few nights! He averaged maybe 5 hours of sleep per night.

Jim

HI jeff,
    so, I could't enter cc64 via software (Logic), I must use only the piano pedal.
    Also, I would suggest you to consider, in order to update the pro version, to reinforce the presence of the pedal, which is not only as a mechanism affecting the sound, but also an object actually crushed by a foot in several velocity. I know it's a strange topic (someone should build this objectl), but a pedal working that way would increase the illusion of playing and listening a real piano.
    What do you think about?
    paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    He was up at midnight programming until he left for the show in the morning the first few nights! He averaged maybe 5 hours of sleep per night.

Jim
    Not healthy at all and utterly non-productive. I admire the drive, but he should sleep longer hours. I know, because I made the same mistake in the past and after a few months I collapsed (not litteraly) and the efficiency lowered to almost zero.

Raymond
    Raymond Robijns
    Youtube channel: "Raymond Robijns"

That was during NAMM for a few days, but I agree, any more than two or three days and there's rarely much sense to long hours or little sleep. There's the rare exceptions, but as you said, in most circumstances it's counterproductive and unhealthy. I'm actually in philosophical agreement with the book Peopleware, which I believe characterized about 8 hours per day as maximizing productivity over the long term for the average person doing knowledge-work. The trick for me is maintaining complete focus over that time, but I'm very much in favor of it.

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast