• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anybody know how to do midi control automation in ableton live??

Share/Bookmark

Anybody know how to do midi control automation in ableton live??

Anybody know how to do midi control automation in ableton live??

It won't let me edit the parameters the way every other instrument will. i can control them with the standalone player, but my sequencer will not let me edit them in the arrangement view.

Re: Anybody know how to do midi control automation in ableton live??

Chapter 18 in the Ableton Live 8 user manual has a complete explanation for all aspects of MIDI automation. It's a free download on the Ableton Web site.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbub View Post
    Chapter 18 in the Ableton Live 8 user manual has a complete explanation for all aspects of MIDI automation. It's a free download on the Ableton Web site.
    Do you use ableton with GPO4.. and have you by any chance been able to do any midi automation in the arrangement view?

I've read the whole manual and I'm very comfortable with midi automation, it works with VST instrument I've ever tried to use EXCEPT for the Garritan orchestra 4. The aria player won't let me access it's paramenters through ableton(other than in clip envelopes...) so I'm wondering if I'm just missing something. I've also read the whole Garritan manual, but it doesn't talk too much about automating, and I simply cannot access the parameters in live arrangement view.

Thanks so much, Noel.

Quote Originally Posted by christmas View Post
    Do you use ableton with GPO4.. and have you by any chance been able to do any midi automation in the arrangement view?

I've read the whole manual and I'm very comfortable with midi automation, it works with VST instrument I've ever tried to use EXCEPT for the Garritan orchestra 4. The aria player won't let me access it's paramenters through ableton(other than in clip envelopes...) so I'm wondering if I'm just missing something. I've also read the whole Garritan manual, but it doesn't talk too much about automating, and I simply cannot access the parameters in live arrangement view.

Thanks so much, Noel.
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are you trying to do with automation?

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Ableton Manual, Paragraph 18.4: "In the Arrangement View, automation curves can be viewed and edited as breakpoint envelopes."

That is all you can do, and that is all you need to do. There is no need to directly manipulate anything on the ARIA Player as far as automation is concerned.

But why are you using the VST? You should be using the ARIA AU plug-in.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

------------------
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are you trying to do with automation?

Steve
    -------------------

I want to automate any paratmeter. mod-wheel, pan, track volume, instrument volume, any of the parameters that are on the "controls" window etc.. reverb amount. even just being able to automate the mod-wheel and the "Controls" window parameters would be enough for me right now.

---------------------------------------------------

"Ableton Manual, Paragraph 18.4: "In the Arrangement View, automation curves can be viewed and edited as breakpoint envelopes.""

That is all you can do, and that is all you need to do. There is no need to directly manipulate anything on the ARIA Player as far as automation is concerned.
    ---------------------------------------------------

I understand how to automate curves. The problem is when I select "aria player multi vst" in the automation fold down menus, The only parameter that i can automate is "device on" No other parameters are available to automate.

Perhaps i will try to explain exactly what i do.

1- i load in the "Aria player multi vst x86" (i've also tried this with the non-multi plug-in.)

2-I load an ensmble. sounds work fine.

3-I record something. (or not.. i should be able to automate either way.)

4- I go to the arrangement view and below the instruments title is a fader/device chooser box where i select "Aria Player multi VST"

5- In the automation control chooser box below that, the only parameter i can select is "Device On"

Now that's normal with external VST's in live. you have to tell live which parameters you want to access by going to the VST box in the track view, and next to the wrench is a box called "Configure." You click it, and then when you turn any dial or press any button inside the VST, It shows up as a dial on the track view(below the arrangement view). This is what is not working in Garritan. The dials are not showing up in live, so i can't access them in the arrangement view. If you want to see for yourself, try using the VST version of Live. I'll bet it won't work on a mac either. Or maybe i'm missing something.

---------------------------------

And I have a PC, so i can't use the AU plug-in.
    Perhaps it's just the VST parameter that isn't supported.

Thankyou.

You are the first and only person I have ever run into who uses Ableton on a Windows PC. That doesn't mean they aren't out there, but I don't know any of them.

Perhaps you should use the standalone VST, not the multi. Have you tried that? The multi might be the wrong one for that situation.

Also, are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system??? Windows 7? Vista? XP? I have had some problems using the 64-bit multi in 64-bit Windows 7.

If the standalone VST doesn't work, perhaps you should send your questions to the Plogue Web site (not Garritan).
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbub View Post
    You are the first and only person I have ever run into who uses Ableton on a Windows PC. That doesn't mean they aren't out there, but I don't know any of them.

Perhaps you should use the standalone VST, not the multi. Have you tried that? The multi might be the wrong one for that situation.

Also, are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system??? Windows 7? Vista? XP? I have had some problems using the 64-bit multi in 64-bit Windows 7.

If the standalone VST doesn't work, perhaps you should send your questions to the Plogue Web site (not Garritan).
    Yes I've tried that. Thanks for you help. It's not a 64/32 bit problem.. It's just with the aria player. I'll try plogue.

Quote Originally Posted by christmas View Post
    I want to automate any paratmeter. mod-wheel, pan, track volume, instrument volume, any of the parameters that are on the "controls" window etc.. reverb amount. even just being able to automate the mod-wheel and the "Controls" window parameters would be enough for me right now.
    I tried as well and the parameters won't appear on Live's end when configuring.

However, modwheel reacts to CC1 (you can see the corresponding CCs on the plugin interface on the Control page). This you CAN automate without using the Configure-button on the Live-plugin. For the clip envelope, you have to choose MIDI Ctrl and then just draw automation onto the channel "1 - Modwheel". But maybe you already knew this, this still won't enable you to automate the CC1 in the Arrangement view, just in the Clip-level.

So... contact Plogue about this, none of the Aria controls seem to appear on Live here either when trying to configure. (I tried with AU on a Mac).
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika View Post
    I tried as well and the parameters won't appear on Live's end when configuring.

However, modwheel reacts to CC1 (you can see the corresponding CCs on the plugin interface on the Control page). This you CAN automate without using the Configure-button on the Live-plugin. For the clip envelope, you have to choose MIDI Ctrl and then just draw automation onto the channel "1 - Modwheel". But maybe you already knew this, this still won't enable you to automate the CC1 in the Arrangement view, just in the Clip-level.

So... contact Plogue about this, none of the Aria controls seem to appear on Live here either when trying to configure. (I tried with AU on a Mac).
    --------------------

I did know about the modwheel, and In fact I can control other parameters as well with my midi controller. But I need to be able to view multiple parameters at once over multiple tracks, something you can only do in the arrangement view.

I have contacted plogue, and I will be contacting Garritan as well.

If you can, please do the same. I got the impression from plogue that I was the first person to mention this problem, but I'm pretty sure it is universal to Aria/Ableton, and it might actually get fixed if more that one person tells them it is problematic.

Thankyou, Noel.

Go Back to forum