• Register
  • Help

Topic: Percussion Library

Share/Bookmark

Percussion Library

Can anyone offer their thoughts on the Vienna Percussion versus True Strike? I have listened to a brazillion demos and am just stuck.

It seems like True Strike is the standard, but are there any shortcomings? Vienna seems to have a lot more instruments and articulations, or did True Strike just truncate their instrument list?
    JosephCarrillo.com
    House of Blackbirds Music Channel on YouTube

Joe's Music on iTunes

Re: Percussion Library

Anyone? I'm not trying to start a versus battle, just soliciting any comments from anyone who has had experience with both libraries and may have any feelings if one is better than the other.

That's all.

Seriously though, I just have had trouble deciding between these two. True Strike seems pretty slick, but VSL seems more complete. Though I'm not thrilled with the VSL Timpani--my only experience with VSL percussion is through the Special Edition, which is nice, but from what I've read, doesn't seem like a fair representation of what the full library is like.

Percussion just seems tricky because one library will have great cymbals, and the other will have great mallets etc... Then there's the ala carte libraries like Cinesamples Snare, Cymbals... And those are just the libraries I know about. I'm sure there's other obscure ones I haven't even heard of. It's overwhelming. I need a million dollars.
    JosephCarrillo.com

Joe's Music on iTunes

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Anyone? I'm not trying to start a versus battle, just soliciting any comments from anyone who has had experience with both libraries and may have any feelings if one is better than the other.

That's all.

Seriously though, I just have had trouble deciding between these two. True Strike seems pretty slick, but VSL seems more complete. Though I'm not thrilled with the VSL Timpani--my only experience with VSL percussion is through the Special Edition, which is nice, but from what I've read, doesn't seem like a fair representation of what the full library is like.

Percussion just seems tricky because one library will have great cymbals, and the other will have great mallets etc... Then there's the ala carte libraries like Cinesamples Snare, Cymbals... And those are just the libraries I know about. I'm sure there's other obscure ones I haven't even heard of. It's overwhelming. I need a million dollars.
    If I may, for me the ultimate sounding percussion library is Spitefire. True Strike 2 would be a nice addition to that because of ethnical percussion, but for orchestral stuff, Spitefire is just a mile ahead. You'll need to get used to mapping though, but once you got it, it's more flexible imho.

Best
    sH

Thanks, shandor! Spitfire does sound pretty amazing. I listened to all the demos on their site, and they are rather impressive. It just seems a little on the pricey side after the currency conversion.

I know I'm over thinking it and should just flip a coin and pick one. I just need to come up with a coin to flip. Ha!
    JosephCarrillo.com

Joe's Music on iTunes

Since you mentioned True Strike, what about StormDrums from EastWest?

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Thanks, shandor! Spitfire does sound pretty amazing. I listened to all the demos on their site, and they are rather impressive. It just seems a little on the pricey side after the currency conversion.

I know I'm over thinking it and should just flip a coin and pick one. I just need to come up with a coin to flip. Ha!
    Hi, Jmc.

To tell you the truth, owning both of the libraries I reach 99% of the time Spitefire now. It just sits in any mix with that 3 mics position mixing interface.If you considere this to be the ultimate percussion library, it's not that far off True Strike. If you know want to make an economy on 100$, I think you will always ask yourself what if... Anyway, if there is ultimate percussion this is as close as it can be possibly done imho. Sound is astonishing and flexibility is outstanding. Together with TS 2 it makes an unbeatable pair.

Just my 2 cents,

Best,
    sH

@shandor It seems pretty awesome, I listened through the demos a few hundred more times and downloaded the xylo preview they have available. I'm going to see if my guy at West LA has one of these libraries available on a rig so I can demo some patches and just get a better sense of the sound.

@zArt I have Stormdrum1, but I'm really looking for a big meaty orchestral percussion library. One that is more complete that what I currently have. I have a few odds and ends here and there from various libraries, but I'm at the point where really need a solid arsenal.

I looked at some of the ala carte Cinesamples stuff, but am kind of on the fence... 100 for cymbals seems like a lot. I know they have bundles, but I'm just trying (read: agonizing) to make the best decision for the dollar, while simultaneously getting a product whose sound I love, and that fits in seamlessly with my setup.

I know it sounds like I'm in the market for a unicorn, but I'm just cautious. Besides I figure anyone who loves their percussion would enjoy discussing it, and I could probably learn something in the process. Thanks all!

Joe
    JosephCarrillo.com

Joe's Music on iTunes

A percussion library for every serious composer who needs the highest quality construction kits and samples, featuring live performances from one of the film industry's most sought-after percussionists, Only thing I don't like is the Play engine. It has a lot of bugs, user interface is not user friendly at all and it is closed format.

Go Back to forum