• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orb today, tomorrow the world...

Share/Bookmark

Orb today, tomorrow the world...

Having seen all this great stuff on iPad coming out of NAMM including Orb (can't wait for it's release btw), it got me to thinking how far can we push the iPad hardware. Especially as iPad2 rumors are flying with 128GB internal memory plus maybe some kind of SD card slot - although who knows.

The only problem with these iPad creation tools available today is the quality of the sound sets that comes with them.

But imagine an iPad Sequencer by Spectrasonics, with cut down (due to RAM limits) versions of Stylus RMX, Omnisphere and Trilian, playing up to 24 channels of audio (or more) - ah sweet dreams....

They've demonstrated they have the programming chops so perhaps Orb is just the beginning of Spectrasonics iPad products....

Re: Orb today, tomorrow the world...

There will always be a lot more we can do with the processing power of the computer. (The iPad processor is only about the equivalent of a 400mhz CPU)

So that's why we are more excited about the "TR" (Touch Remote) concept for our iPad approach with Omni TR.

You get the best of both worlds this way:

• Ultimate sound and features using the computer

• Ideal multi-touch surface from the iPad as a remote controller

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    There will always be a lot more we can do with the processing power of the computer. (The iPad processor is only about the equivalent of a 400mhz CPU)

So that's why we are more excited about the "TR" (Touch Remote) concept for our iPad approach with Omni TR.

You get the best of both worlds this way:

• Ultimate sound and features using the computer

• Ideal multi-touch surface from the iPad as a remote controller

:-)
    I'm glad to hear that you're thinking this way. At least I think you seem to be saying that development will be focused on the software synth and IPad apps as opposed to just IPad apps.

Please remember that some of us will likely never use Apple products. Please don't forget this.

With all due respect, I agree with impactjones on this. I personally have no plans of buying anything Apple. I am hoping that the Orb can be controlled using other physical X-Y pads such as on the Korg nanoPAD.

Looking forward to getting more details on the Orb, perhaps a detailed video, because from the little bit I have seen I don't know how I am going to use this or if it will be of any use to me. If the control messages it sends are re-creatable then that is pretty cool but when I hear things like 'roll the dice' to determine what parameters IT controls, it starts sounding more like a game of chance than a controller...

Anyway it is too soon for me to tell much but I am looking forward to getting my hands on it and seeing some real videos on its use. There really has not been but a couple of quick videos from NAMM and I don't think that I am seeing the full impact of the Orb controller yet.

Kind regards,
    Rick

I agree, the Orb doesn't look all that useful from what we saw.
    Maybe if it wasn't someone like Stevie Wonder who shot the video, it may have put the whole thing in a better light.
    Then again, anything that Spectrasonics endorses can't be bad in my world.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

hmm, I would think that that iPad is the only option. I don't forsee them spending development cycles on another tablet device- considering iPad's account for almost all of the tablets sold. I would like to see the ability for the Orb to be controlled from an XY pad as well though- so I can use my X-Station. Though you would loose a lot of functionality without the ipad (like momentum, live switching, etc). But if 1.5 can include non-Omni TR support (or eventually)- that would be cool.

you can control the orb with any midicontroller.
    ipads are just the best looking option.

Quote Originally Posted by impactjones View Post
    I'm glad to hear that you're thinking this way. At least I think you seem to be saying that development will be focused on the software synth and IPad apps as opposed to just IPad apps.

Please remember that some of us will likely never use Apple products. Please don't forget this.
    It's a business. I'm sure that when there's viable mainstream competition to the iPad Spectrasnics will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by rtucker55 View Post
    With all due respect, I agree with impactjones on this. I personally have no plans of buying anything Apple. I am hoping that the Orb can be controlled using other physical X-Y pads such as on the Korg nanoPAD.
    Sure, you can use the Orb with just a mouse or MIDI controllers....but the iPad with Omni TR is by far the best way to use it.

Like Apple or not, the iPad has already won the war for touch surface music devices. Check out the rest of the NAMM show. No other device will really be able to catch up....Apple is too far ahead in music apps.

An iPad is a fantastic musical device that brings many new capabilities to musicians. We are embracing it whole-heartedly and will not likely be supporting any other tablets/surfaces.

Looking forward to getting more details on the Orb, perhaps a detailed video, because from the little bit I have seen I don't know how I am going to use this or if it will be of any use to me.
    It's tremendously useful for every single Omnisphere user for this reason alone:

"Now with a single click of the mouse, the user can instantly customize the sound. Best of all, the Orb automatically works with every patch a user has, there’s no setup necessary."

Doesn't that sound good? :-)

If the control messages it sends are re-creatable then that is pretty cool...
    Yep. :-)

but when I hear things like 'roll the dice' to determine what parameters IT controls, it starts sounding more like a game of chance than a controller...
    Did you get a chance to read the press release?

http://www.spectrasonics.net/news/20...rom-namm-2011/

The Orb can do both....auto-generation AND user assigned functions.

We spent a lot of time getting the auto-generated stuff to be intelligent and musical. It's pretty amazing.

But if you don't like what it's doing, simply set it up yourself in the Mod Matrix to do whatever you want. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Maybe if it wasn't someone like Stevie Wonder who shot the video, it may have put the whole thing in a better light.
    I guess that was a working copy made from just one of the cameras. Here is a much better version of that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMgyrHYHu6Y

Go Back to forum