• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Question for Gary

Share/Bookmark

Question for Gary

Gary,

I've been thinking about the original GOS lately wishing I could better use those samples. I'm sure this question has been asked, but I'm curious, how hard would it be to simply convert the original GOS into the aria player? Not GOS2, but simply an update to GOS. It seems like for those fine programmers your employee it would be a relatively simple update to do as a bridge between where we are and where we are going to GOS2. Any chance this could be accomplished?

I still think GOS is at the top of the game in terms of sample quality. But I love the playability of GPO - which is second to none... if only i could blend the two......

Thanks

Re: Question for Gary

Hi J Whaley

Thanks for your post and excellent suggestion. We have been working hard on making the next generation of GOS and something superior and unique. But it has taken quite a bit longer than we thought.

You asked "how hard would it be to simply convert the original GOS into the aria player?" Not very hard at all. And MaestroTools programming could be incorporated very easily into it. But GOS1 was 16 bit. A revived GOS could be a quick bridge - or an add on pack to GPO or a GOS v 1.5 version. Hmmm.....

I am concerned that it would tend to confuse. When GOS2 comes out we would then have another product. We could maybe offer an upgrade path when GOS2 comes out.

I appreciate your kind words about GOS. At NAMM I was surprised by how many people still use it.

Let me discuss this with my team. In the meantime I would like some feedback form our members as to what they think about J. Whaley's suggestion.

Thanks again,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley View Post
    Gary,

I've been thinking about the original GOS lately wishing I could better use those samples. I'm sure this question has been asked, but I'm curious, how hard would it be to simply convert the original GOS into the aria player? Not GOS2, but simply an update to GOS. It seems like for those fine programmers your employee it would be a relatively simple update to do as a bridge between where we are and where we are going to GOS2. Any chance this could be accomplished?

I still think GOS is at the top of the game in terms of sample quality. But I love the playability of GPO - which is second to none... if only i could blend the two......

Thanks

As a new Garritan user I'm too late to have experienced GOS,
    but I know it by its fame and the enthusiasm of other users.
    It lights my curiosity.
    Yes, I would like the opportunity to add it to my rig.
    (Maybe the 16-bit sampling is a major hurdle to clear in terms of gap in sound quality vs GPO4?)
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

I'd love to have an add-on to GPO4. I bet there are others who would too.

I was trying to search to see what bit rate the current GPO4 samples are. I'm guessing by your concern about GOS being 16-bit that GPO4 is 24-bit.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Gary:

I am looking forward to GOS2 and realize that it may be awhile before we see that.

I have been using GOS with GVI but now, since my crashed hard drive I can no longer do that. It would be good for me if there were a way to use GOS with ARIA. I understand the problems though, and am more or less resigned to waiting for GOS2.

Thanks

PIANODOC
    (David Mauney)

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    I'd love to have an add-on to GPO4. I bet there are others who would too.

I was trying to search to see what bit rate the current GPO4 samples are. I'm guessing by your concern about GOS being 16-bit that GPO4 is 24-bit.
    Hi swinkler,

I was referring to the upcoming GOS2 which will be 24bit.

Gary

Hi David

Yes, some things are problematic but we're looking at other solutions too. I'll write more about options when the time is right.

~Gary

Quote Originally Posted by pianodoc View Post
    Gary:

I am looking forward to GOS2 and realize that it may be awhile before we see that.

I have been using GOS with GVI but now, since my crashed hard drive I can no longer do that. It would be good for me if there were a way to use GOS with ARIA. I understand the problems though, and am more or less resigned to waiting for GOS2.

Thanks

PIANODOC
    (David Mauney)

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Hi swinkler,

I was referring to the upcoming GOS2 which will be 24bit.

Gary
    Got it. I thought the concern was that it wouldn't integrate well with GPO4.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    As a new Garritan user I'm too late to have experienced GOS,
    but I know it by its fame and the enthusiasm of other users.
    It lights my curiosity.
    Yes, I would like the opportunity to add it to my rig.
    (Maybe the 16-bit sampling is a major hurdle to clear in terms of gap in sound quality vs GPO4?)
    Same here, and I eagerly await both GOS2 and GAS2. In fact I like the idea of these libraries being sort of like modules that can be used by themselves or in combination with GPO4 -- all playable through ARIA.

Re. 16-bit vs. 24-bit, I tried experiments with upsampling a couple of years ago, and I ran into issues with quality degradation. I think this may be analogous to changing the size of graphics files. In the case of JPEGs, GIFs, etc. increasing their pixel size (resolution) beyond a very limited point always degrades their image quality.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Gary - with all due respect to your desire to do things above board, GOS in it's 16bit format was/is far better sound than GPO. It was and still is an excellent sample set. What makes GPO superior is the programming.

I actually asked for this library 4 years ago to be created under Kontakt! Just simply have Gary's programmers redo GOS with the ease of use that GPO has.

GPO is so simple - a cave man can program with it. But the sample quality of GOS is just excellent in comparison. Plus remember, some of your best competitors are still 16 bit. EWQL GOLD is all 16bit, which I'd expect is a big competitor at that price.

I'd do my own awesome programming and make GOS sound the way I want except I don't know how! I never learned the sampler that well - and since I'm busy doing other things that make more money, I'd rather pay to have your guys do it - plus they're good.

It seems to me like a super logical no-brainer business decision. Kind of like I wish the Gofriller Cello was available still. I was going to buy it a few weeks ago - only to find out it's not available anymore!

It's nice to know there's a new better version coming in GOS2 - but when? It's been YEARS in the waiting and you've already got some excellent products that do not need to be sampled at all. Just some programming tweaks and BOOM - got yourself a new product.

Two great secrets I've learned in business:
    1) Reinvent as much as possible
    2) invent as little as possible.

Sure invention gets you noticed and paves new ground - but reinvention makes you the dough. I say reinvent, and use the capital to invent!

Just my own un-solicited 2¢

J-

P.S. Plus Gary you could bring the original GOS back to market for a cheaper price. It's totally worth $299 - rack up a bunch of sales while it's just sitting there. Then you can always offer an upgrade price to GOS2 - or change the name of GOS2 and make it a bigger, better, badder - different product.

I've even got the marketing copy for you... (insert Geico actor's voice)

"Garritan Orchestral Strings.... The original library that put "GIG" in "Giga", and inspired nut jobs around the world to fill hard drives with orchestra samples that could stream, is now available for Aria (or Kontakt, or put your modern sampler here). Vintage never sounded so real....."

See - I just sold a bunch for you and I don't even need to get paid! That's what I call "low hanging fruit!"

Go Back to forum