• Register
  • Help

Topic: The first movement of my Piano Concerto 1

Share/Bookmark

Smile Piano Concerto No 1. First Movement

This is the first movement of my Piano Concerto 1. The second and third movements will follow. I have used the full GPO and the included Steinway Piano.

I do hope that you enjoy this piece and look forward to reading any comments that you might like to post. Best wishes, Antony

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9594624

PLEASE VISIT MY SITE TO HEAR MORE OF MY MUSIC

www.flatfourmusicstore.co.uk

Re: The first movement of my Piano Concerto 1

In the opening the piano sets an interesting theme. Slow, but with some light dissonants (or extended chords if you prefer). This is followed by a stronger outburst, but the structure is very much in Romantic style: a bit of a dialogue, a bit of opposition, development of the theme, some variation; a bit like Rachmaninov meets Poulenc. Harmonically it's interesting, although some modulations are repeated a bit too fast, which exposes them, and it's got some nice lyrical passages. I'd say it's a good variation on the Romantic concerto.

Soundwise, the piano convinces, but the orchestra, especially in the forte passages, is on the weak side: it's a bit light and muddy. Perhaps the balance is off: the woodwinds seem as loud as, or even louder than the brass, but I also got the feeling that the orchestration could be more subtle sometimes.

However, it's an good composition, and an impressive achievement.
    Theo

Re: The first movement of my Piano Concerto 1

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    In the opening the piano sets an interesting theme. Slow, but with some light dissonants (or extended chords if you prefer). This is followed by a stronger outburst, but the structure is very much in Romantic style: a bit of a dialogue, a bit of opposition, development of the theme, some variation; a bit like Rachmaninov meets Poulenc. Harmonically it's interesting, although some modulations are repeated a bit too fast, which exposes them, and it's got some nice lyrical passages. I'd say it's a good variation on the Romantic concerto.

Soundwise, the piano convinces, but the orchestra, especially in the forte passages, is on the weak side: it's a bit light and muddy. Perhaps the balance is off: the woodwinds seem as loud as, or even louder than the brass, but I also got the feeling that the orchestration could be more subtle sometimes.

However, it's an good composition, and an impressive achievement.
    Hello Theo
    I was pleased that you were able to listen to the first movement and have carefully read your extensive comments,particularly as regards to the orchestra and thank you for having drawn my attention to this aspect of my work.

Thank you, once again, Antony

Go Back to forum