• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Wind Over Wetland

Share/Bookmark

Wind Over Wetland

Whereas my previous post, "Foreign Affair" was more or less composed on Jan 1/11, this piece was begun on Jan 2/11. However, I didn't really finish it until this weekend. It is 100% Garritan, with the GPO4 and the GAS Basic. I guess in concept, this is a sort of lyrical, outdoorsy kind of music, meant to evoke bull-rushes swaying back and forth in the wind, as a small group of geese land on the water and a flock of red-winged blackbirds make a synchronized take-off, all to the tune of wind blowing through surrounding forest and gray clouds scuttling across the sky.
    Wind Over Wetland

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Wind Over Wetland

Really nice, cinematic, lyricism-over-minimal kind of music. The concept is works out well; the basis repeats, which helps coherence, but doesn't get in the way of the track as a whole (the boring effect that repetitive film music frequently has), probably because not all parts follow exactly the same pattern (I like the offset between the string lines, where they don't move simultaneously); orchestration is good (the piano really adds something), tempo is well thought out, and the cello line is really good. You're really getting into this evocative music. Well done.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Really nice, cinematic, lyricism-over-minimal kind of music. The concept is works out well; the basis repeats, which helps coherence, but doesn't get in the way of the track as a whole (the boring effect that repetitive film music frequently has), probably because not all parts follow exactly the same pattern (I like the offset between the string lines, where they don't move simultaneously); orchestration is good (the piano really adds something), tempo is well thought out, and the cello line is really good. You're really getting into this evocative music. Well done.
    Well Theo, I thank you for listening and for your detailed comments! This is very recent work and has not been around long enough to vet it to anyone besides here. I almost have the sense I composed this previously, but can't remember when. I completed an orchestration of the Haydn B Minor Piano Sonata last fall and was thinking of it as a candidate, but then though it would be more meaningful to post my own composition.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hi sd,
    Some nice sounds & melodies.
    As I listen I am drawn to the notes from A below middle C to the octave A.
    Almost everything occurs in this range. I've found that using the entire keyboard of sounds enhances & contrast a piece. I would also like to hear 1, 2 or 3 beats of silence to better organize my listening.
    Keep the ideas flowing.
    Gary

Hi sc cisco,

You certainly bring us interesting and imaginative creations.
    I like the fact that you were inspired by nature.
    Are you living in an area with such views?

You certainly have created a well defined atmosphere throughout which I enjoyed.
    I also like your choice of instruments and how they all work well together.
    I rather like that it stays within a limited range of notes.
    I also like the accelerations and little details like the pizzicato and the piano part
    in the second half which sounds like rain drops.

I have a few suggestions which I would like to add.

In general I would play all instruments on the same level more or less, so that
    none stands out except the melodic lines that appear with this or that instrument.
    For instance, the piano at the beginning could be much softer but still be heard.
    This would ease one in into the ambiance mood.

You have two swells of acceleration and diminution, one starting at 00:32 and
    ending at 02:34, and the second from there to the end. Both could be supported
    by a build-up of a dynamic swell, starting and ending quietly.

There are instruments that play simultaneously and others that create movement.
    I would give more weight to the latter as this would make it sound lighter.

And lastly I would prolong the last chord and make it sound fuller and softer.

Looking forward to your next piece,

~Yudit~

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Hi sc cisco,

You certainly bring us interesting and imaginative creations.
    I like the fact that you were inspired by nature.
    Are you living in an area with such views?

You certainly have created a well defined atmosphere throughout which I enjoyed.
    I also like your choice of instruments and how they all work well together.
    I rather like that it stays within a limited range of notes.
    I also like the accelerations and little details like the pizzicato and the piano part
    in the second half which sounds like rain drops.

I have a few suggestions which I would like add.

In general I would play all instruments on the same level more or less, so that
    none stands out except the melodic lines that appear with this or that instrument.
    For instance, the piano at the beginning could be much softer but still be heard.
    This would ease one in into the ambiance mood.

You have two swells of acceleration and diminution, one starting at 00:32 and
    ending at 02:34, and the second from there to the end. Both could be supported
    by a build-up of a dynamic swell, starting and ending quietly.

There are instruments that play simultaneously and others that create movement.
    I would give more weight to the latter as this would make it sound lighter.

And lastly I would prolong the last chord and make it sound fuller and softer.

Looking forward to your next piece,

~Yudit~
    Hello there Yudit!
    Nice to hear from you and thank you for your thoughtful remarks! I agree as well with what you were getting at and did what I could at this point, which was to bring down the volume level of the introductory part, to better smooth the transition to the main body of the piece.
    I re-posted the edited version at around noon today, local time.
    To your first question, the answer is Yes. Our house is near 350m from the road and there are woods to the immediate north, rolling hills to the northeast, a bigger hill, leading down to a large marsh, directly east. In every direction, all around is rural, with a few small farm operations. I live on fertile land, just south of the edge of the Canadian Shield, typified by pink granite outcrops and the rest woodland, interspersed with many lakes, all the way up to the treeline. Good old Canada!

Thank you for listening and commenting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

sd,

Each post of yours shows a different facet, or voice. This is a very attractive one, as I am drawn to both minimal and modal pieces. Really enjoyed it. One thing I might add - it is very effective the way an instrument emerges from the general texture, and I think it is something you could exploit/explore a bit more. The way a certain line is highlighted against an unwavering (or seemingly unwavering) background works well here - just thought it could be more pronounced. My 2 cents - although with the conversion rate, I'm not sure if you'll get the same value in Canada!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    sd,

Each post of yours shows a different facet, or voice. This is a very attractive one, as I am drawn to both minimal and modal pieces. Really enjoyed it. One thing I might add - it is very effective the way an instrument emerges from the general texture, and I think it is something you could exploit/explore a bit more. The way a certain line is highlighted against an unwavering (or seemingly unwavering) background works well here - just thought it could be more pronounced. My 2 cents - although with the conversion rate, I'm not sure if you'll get the same value in Canada!

All the best,
    Hello Ron;
    Thanks for listening and your positive remarks! It is modal, and in this context, it is a texture issue, in terms of who stands out most at a given time in the piece, and how the other voices make accommodation for this as the melody line and focus shift over time. It seems like when I'm mixing something like this, or anything for that matter, there are certain things you recognize early on, that are to be embellished or suppressed, at a given moment. It always becomes more like love and fear for me. This "searing" of the senses, early into the mixing process, due entirely to incorrect levels, seems to stay with me throughout the time I work on the piece, and I have found sometimes this can lead to misjudgment and even "paths not taken" type feelings.
    Anyway, this sort of style is not new to me, from the early days of bouncing tracks on a stereo tape player, I have created many modal/synth pieces. Sometimes I couldn't tell if what I was hearing was really there, or just imagined, as in audio hallucination. Oh well, all in a days work!

Thanks again!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

I liked this relaxing and meditative music. It's music that can just create a mood or you can listen to a little more closely.

I made me think of Vaughn William's The Lark Ascending which makes me think of chinese erhu music. That sort of basic feel.

The mix now sounds near perfect to me.

Very nice work!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I liked this relaxing and meditative music. It's music that can just create a mood or you can listen to a little more closely.

I made me think of Vaughn William's The Lark Ascending which makes me think of chinese erhu music. That sort of basic feel.

The mix now sounds near perfect to me.

Very nice work!

Phil
    Hi Phil;
    Thank you for listening and commenting! I think to get from the start of composing a piece to finishing a piece, involves following a series of clues which mysteriously pop-up, almost like following road signs along the way, to help us reach our destination. Somewhere in our aesthetic sensibilities lies the guidance for such decisions, as to which path to take. The will of the idea exerts influence on our thoughts and combines with our will to live and determination to succeed, in order to materialize itself in the form of music.
    In this particular piece, I think I created an ambiance, which is not dissimilar to what I used to get with synths and sequencers, back in the "old" days. In that way, the piece was another in a long line of experiments, all aimed at being capable of carrying one along, for a short time, in a state wherein the ordinary is made to seem full of strange new possibilities and broad vistas; of course, this state is strictly temporary!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast