• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Scarbee J-Fingered demosong 1 is uploaded!

Share/Bookmark

Scarbee J-Fingered demosong 1 is uploaded!

Hi All,

I am proud to present the very first demosong of the soon released Scarbee J-Fingered.

Remember disco from 1978? Well - this song is a bit slow (bpm 98) but you will get the feeling...

Features a solo-chase with J-Fingered and J-Slap (bridge pick-up on both basses)

Bass programming, drum-programming, Sound FX by Scarbee.

Guitar by Halfdan E.

Percussion, Wurlitzer, Strings and vocal-fx by Trk-El-Son.

Demosong created and produced by Scarbee.

Have fun

Thomas

Re: Scarbee J-Fingered demosong 1 is uploaded!

Simply put, that sounds amazing. It also sounds like there\'s another wonderful library on it\'s way. AND just like your other demo\'s this really highlights how important it is to know your instrument when it comes to programming. You can have the most realistic sound available but if you don\'t know how to play it, or at least have some knowledge of how someone else plays it, then you\'re doomed. Nice drum sound as well. May I ask which library the drums come from?

Hi Tokyo Joe:

Thanks for your kind words - it sure inspires me to keep on working hard. The drums comes from \"Groove Masters Drums\" - it\'s an OK library, with both loops and hits. the loops are really well played with lots of great fills.

cheers

Thomas

Another fine demo Thomas, you are the master! I will differ from the poster that liked having multiple libs (specifically multiple bass libs) in a single demo. If I didn\'t know the sound of the slap library it would confuse me and make it hard to understand which sounds I would be getting with this lib and which are the other.

Actually, in this demo it\'s easy enough, the slap playing sounds like it\'s coming from a different place and it\'s much more in your face. The demo reinforces how much I like the slap sound, here\'s hoping my lib comes soon, I order almost a week ago. It seems like forever already...

Bloody great Thomas!

As much as I love the slap basses, I\'ve been waiting for you to do the finger bass.

Lovely sound.

What drums were they?

I kind of agree with Sam about not mixing sound from two libraries unless you doing a generic demo.

Can you give us more detail as to what is on the J-Finger disk in terms of tone?

Thomas,

It does sound great, and I am glad you included both libraries. In the mix I can\'t hear the libraries switching, but in the soloed version, I can definately hear everytime you switch between libraries. It does almost feel like they are coming from a different place.

If you were just playing the bass and switching between fingering and slaping, would it sound like this? With previous soloed versions of J-Slap I couldn\'t hear an unnatural flaw, and I can\'t with this library either, but when you switch between the two something just sounds unnatural to me.

I don\'t mean to be hypercritical and I plan on purchasing your libraries, but what are your feelings on this.

mars

Thomas,

I listened to the full mix over again a couple more times very critically, and as hard as I tried, I couldn\'t hear the noticeable switch between the libraries I can hear with the solo. I can hear the slapping, but the transition sounds perfect in the mix. Actually it sounds awesome.

So I don\'t really know if this issue matters, as I don\'t plan on releasing bass solos with no other instrumentation.

cheers,
    mars

Hi meltingmars:

\"but in the soloed version, I can definately hear everytime you switch between libraries. It does almost feel like they are coming from a different place.\"

The two basses are recorded the same way, however the J-slap is played with right hand just behind/on the frets (far from the only active mic) as the fingered is played just over the bridge pickup. (close to the mic)

The next bass (Both pick-ups will probably sound more \"natural\" as both pick-ups are active and the fingered will be played a between bridge and neck-pick up.

Also - one seems to expect a \"noise\" when switching between the basses - but it is only the right hand that changes and it is quite \"silent\".

About the confusion of the demo - should I call it Scarbee combi-demosong 1?

[This message has been edited by SCARBEE (edited 05-07-2001).]

Hi Chadwich, Mars and Sam,

I have just uploaded new versions of the demo - with some small programming changes, pointed out by you.
    It is now called \"Scarbee J-Combi demosong 1\"
    to make the confusion less for buyers.

I did some test this morning with the \"real\" bass, playing fingered and slap and comparing this with the 2 sampled basses:

They sound just the same (they were made the same way, so it is not really a surprise for me)- so the 2 sounds fit together perfectly.

Also the volume difference between the basses are fine.

However I checked the bass solo and found some \"bad\" programming: a pluck was at the wrong octave! and the swiches between the two basses was not always natural. This is fixed now.
    I also added some fretnoise and though you can\'t hear it in the mix - it sounds \"right\" when listening to the solo-version.

Please remember too:

In the middle of vers 2 just after sliding from G3 on E-string to E3 on E-string (very dull sounding place...)there are 2 plucks (slap) played on the D-string at 12\'fret (loud sounding place) just after that, I move down to fret\'5 (clear sounding - and play fingered here.

So we have a lot of different sound playing positions just after each other - this may sound strange, but it is very natural to play like this - and if you didn\'t know it was a sampled-bass you probably wouldn\'t notice it.

Also - just before going into B2, I have plucked G-string at fret \'7,8 and the loose E-string (All \"sharp\" sounding) and then I play fingered starting at A-string at fret 12\' (has a \"dull\" sound here.

Anyway - you guys have brilliant ears!

Thomas

Hi Chadwick,

\"Can you give us more detail as to what is on the J-Finger disk in terms of tone\"

J-Fingered will be very similar to J-Slap -but there is some differences:

1)J-Fingered will have 4 sustained notes played with right hand index finger: soft, medium1,medium2 and hard + 3 sustained notes played by right hand middle finger: soft, middle and hard. This gives a very natural sound when plying fast or making a rock groove.

2) there is a soft and a hard legato-tail on all notes.

3) index/middle finger mutes.

4) A soft and hard fast grace note up on the G-string - D-string has one.

The J-Fingered 1 is played with right hand just over the bridge pick up.

J-Fingered 2 (both) is played between bridge/neck pick-up

J-Fingered 3 (neck) is played between the fretboard and neck pick up.

cheers

Thomas

Go Back to forum