• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Entry....

Share/Bookmark

New Entry....

Hi guys,

I' am a rookie entry.. at almost any level. I discovered virtual instruments very recently, and I'm pretty enthusiast about them, having lots of fun.
    I' am still fiddling around with controls, trying to discover the capabilities of "the thing".
    Here's my version of Ravel's String Quartet, second movement. I made it by "mouse" clicking, not "keyboard" clicking, my main focus was just to get it sound "right".
    All sounds are from GPO4. Only non-Garritan thing used (apart from the DAW, of course) is the convolution reverb.

So, here's the thing:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/GnnwGsp...rtet_Mov2.html

Any suggestion and/or criticism appreciated. Hey, be gentle..... "Don't shoot the piano player"!

Bye to everybody.

Fabrizio

Re: New Entry....

Bravo Fabrizio.

Very expressive rendering. It seems you know well how strings play.

And the reverb is nice. Only sounds a bit too much, as the players were recorded while rehearsing in a room...

I must say that listening to the last virtual transcriptions of (almost) famous scores gives me the pleasure of fresh and passionate performances than ones from players that are very technically skilled but... cold. A confirmation of Goethe's amateur theory?
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Hi Fabrizio, welcome to the forum!

Great rendering here, but I agree, a bit too much re-verb... and that is strange for me to say b/c "I like me some verb".

That first violin melody is so wonderful - you do it justice.

Thanks for the post.
    Do you have anything original?

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

That's good. I found some of the notes a bit too loud, and you might consider a gentle EQ around 1350Hz and 2850Hz to remove some harshness, but it sounds pretty natural and very musical. As good an interpretation as any quartet! Well done.
    Theo

Hi. Thanks for the comments and suggestions to everyone.

Theo, I did as you suggested and dipped the eq curve roughly where you mentioned. It works slightly better. Of course, it is always a give and take, you lose some power on the tremolos and part of the strength of the violin1 "fireworks", such as the two triplets right before the third thrill, but the advantages on the pizzicatos and the central melodic parts are clear. I also put in some chorus and, after a few headaches to properly tune in the "correct" (big words here.... ) speed, the whole thing got even sweeter and warmer. Thanks.
    With the reverb things are different. What you hear is a reverb I kicked in at the beginning of the job, just to have a sort of "reference point". The problem is that GPO native weapons for the likes of thrills and tremolos don' t work for me, so I enhance them by heavy use of ... let's say.... "nervous" ... volume envelopes. Problem is that, once you are nearly done with the rendering, you get back to the reverb in order to fine tune it... and discover that if you dare touch it everything goes out of phase and you get funny things happening. My sensation is that with virtual instruments reverb is much more than just an "effect". It is also a way to hide things and a huge help in building sounds that otherwise would not come out by themselves. Sometimes you have to nail a parrot on its perch to make it seem alive. Isn't that true, Fabio? (noticed you are a big fan of them...)
    But, as I already mentioned, I am a newbie, I might be just speaking lots of nonsense, and probably I am.

No, Michael, no original works. Me and Music are like old dear friends who... live very far away. There's always been music in my life, but we have few opportunities to meet, though always very pleasant. Plus, I do firmly believe that music sparks into life in its interpretation and execution, not in the score itself. There are tons of good scores/bad interpretations that, at the end of day, aren't worth listening to.
    So... I don' t chase it. If it will come, it will come.

Thanks very much, above all, for the warm welcome.

And, since it is my first chance to say it, thanks to Garritan for the truly amazing achievements. You look at the tech specs and the price tag and tend to underestimate their products. Then, for apparently inexplicable reasons, you always turn towards their instruments because they carry on the job much more than fine, sounding beautifully and being so comfortable to use. When I got into virtual instruments I got blown by curiosity and was eager to look for new samples, libraries an so on. Just, I merely suppose, as many of you in the forum. For some reason, when I bumped into Garritan, I simply... quit searching, a sudden loss of interest. Congrats, really.

Fabry

P.S. Sorry for the... logorrhoea. I can be very italian, at moments.

My sensation is that with virtual instruments reverb is much more than just an "effect". It is also a way to hide things and a huge help in building sounds that otherwise would not come out by themselves. Sometimes you have to nail a parrot on its perch to make it seem alive. Isn't that true, Fabio?
    Big truth.
    A trick I learned from other Garritan users is to do some automation on the reverb levels to go up and down as much as the amount of "tail" (reverb's tail, not parrot's tail) is needed, more on legatos, less on staccatos and so on.
    Unfortunately the software I work with doesn't handle this kind of control, so I'm forced to switch to a different track for each setting (this helps me to learn how achieve more with less. I hope I learn).
    Ah, and... sorry for the... logorrhoea. I can be very italian, at moments.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Go Back to forum