• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: News about GOS, Choir or GPO 5?

Share/Bookmark

News about GOS, Choir or GPO 5?

I was wondering if there is any news about Garritan Strings, (is there being worked on or is the 1st package still somewhere available?); Will Garritan release a Choir in the future that is as easy on the processor as GPO 4 is, what would be great!; When about will GPO 5 released?

With my G5 PowerPc , I think Garritan is the best choice for me to use for my music and I hope to expand my library with Garritan in general. But I still miss more string choices and especially a choir that my mac can handle.

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: News about GOS, Choir or GPO 5?

I too am particularly interested in news about a Garritan choir product. One of my interests is orchestra-plus-choir arrangements. So far as I can tell the East West Symphonic Choirs is the best current product, though seemingly more oriented to the epic and film-scoring style that is currently in vogue. Still, even the recently expired buy-one-get-one-free sale was just too much for me. It would be wonderful if Garritan was to come out with a choir product that skewed more towards traditional choirs.
    John B.
    ------------------
    Sonar 8.5 Producer (64 bit)
    Notion 3

GPO4
    EWQL Symphonic Choirs

2.5 GHz Core2 Quad, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit
    Audiophile 192

Keystation 61es

Quote Originally Posted by John6448 View Post
    I too am particularly interested in news about a Garritan choir product. One of my interests is orchestra-plus-choir arrangements. So far as I can tell the East West Symphonic Choirs is the best current product, though seemingly more oriented to the epic and film-scoring style that is currently in vogue. Still, even the recently expired buy-one-get-one-free sale was just too much for me. It would be wonderful if Garritan was to come out with a choir product that skewed more towards traditional choirs.
    A friend of mine bought the Composers Collection by East West, that includes this choir package. This software is very processor intensive. He can only run 1 choir voice at the time, more than this and his computer will freeze up. I believe he has a Intel double core mac. That is why I hope Garritan will come out with a choir package that can run on macs like powerpc and alike.
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

hi Andreas,

Thanks for your interest in wanting more libraries from us. that's a good motivator!

We have been working on a new strings library for quite some time. 2010 brought some unexpected matters I had to deal with. But I am now refocusing on getting this library completed.

I know that many companies make announcements before a product is released (I am guilty of that in the past), But a couple years ago we decided to announce when released and available. Murphy's law always operates with software and there will undoubtedly be disappointments if we are late. So when it is ready then we will shout it from the housetops. And there will be lots of string choices.

Choir will take longer than strings as there are so many technical challenges to get a choir to actually sing lyrics.

Best regards,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    I was wondering if there is any news about Garritan Strings, (is there being worked on or is the 1st package still somewhere available?); Will Garritan release a Choir in the future that is as easy on the processor as GPO 4 is, what would be great!; When about will GPO 5 released?

With my G5 PowerPc , I think Garritan is the best choice for me to use for my music and I hope to expand my library with Garritan in general. But I still miss more string choices and especially a choir that my mac can handle.

André

Andreas --

Unless someone corrects me, I don't believe you can buy the original Garritan Orchestral Strings (GOS1) anywhere, but if you could, you should still be aware that it was designed to be used with the original GigaStudio 160 and its siblings (it's in GigaStudio format). I am still using it today, but I have to load the instruments into Kontakt 4, and that does not sound nearly as good as the original setup with GigaStudio. If I were recording something serious with it, I would switch over to my copy of Windows 2000 running (my legal copy of) GigaStudio 2.5, which still works just fine on my legacy system. That version of GigaStudio is no longer available, either.

I have seen some people mention converting the instruments to other formats with software like the Extreme Sampler Converter, but I would not personally favor that route, since the library is huge and each instrument would require meticulous attention. I have not seen or heard of any recordings made with converted GOS instruments, either.

A great many of us are eagerly looking forward to the release of GOS2 when it is ready. Using the old library with old software just isn't much fun anymore and can be a very frustrating experience for those who do not have legacy systems and legacy software. I don't believe the original GOS was ever intended to be used on a Mac, either, because there was never a version of GigaStudio released for the Mac platform until GigaStudio 4, but that software can no longer be registered or activated, as I understand it.

Sorry to belabor the point, but it would simply be best to wait for the new GOS2, unless you just really, really enjoy banging your head against the wall.

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Thanks for the response, Gary, and I completely understand not wanting to announce product before it is released. I DO appreciate you indicating the hurdles you face with a choir product. That helps me when it comes to thinking about and making my own plans.
    John B.
    ------------------
    Sonar 8.5 Producer (64 bit)
    Notion 3

GPO4
    EWQL Symphonic Choirs

2.5 GHz Core2 Quad, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit
    Audiophile 192

Keystation 61es

I've used to use GOS with Logic's EXS24. Haven't tried it in awhile. I remember it not being user friendly. Would love to see an update.
    JP

Can you tell at least if you are working on GPO5 also? (without mentioning release dates...)

Aha! Notice that Gary said "...to sing lyrics". ooooh, Oooooh, that sounds like more than I had dreamt of.

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeF View Post
    Can you tell at least if you are working on GPO5 also? (without mentioning release dates...)
    oh my--- What would you want in yet another release of GPO, Jerome--?

Randy

Go Back to forum