• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Spirals - Piece for Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Spirals - Piece for Orchestra

I hesitate to post. I miss the community, but have a bit of alienation here.

I have been working on a piece that will be part of an orchestral painting called: Worlds Within Worlds

I thought some members here might enjoy listening. I do not want to hear about: Mixing, Reverb, Midi editing, etc. This is strictly a study in composition.

The piece is called Spirals and can be listened to at this address: http://www.box.net/shared/fdgesr9ytz

Enjoy and leave your compositional comments.

Happy New Year all...
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Spirals - Piece for Orchestra

You didn't say I couldn't leave a comment about alienation...

I would like to view the score for greater depth but the drone note works. Just wondering what color of chords you used over top.

Nicely controlled dissonance- peaceful flute - frustrated outbursts.
    The contrast between themes is great.. almost too great. A smoother transition at times may help.

Very creative exploration you've written!
    What does it mean?

Never hesitate to post.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    You didn't say I couldn't leave a comment about alienation...

I would like to view the score for greater depth but the drone note works. Just wondering what color of chords you used over top.

M
    Thanks for the comments. I am not thinking chords per se here, but rather how each note mixes with the next (how the lines spiral in and out to create a mixture.)

Since you asked, here is the score: http://www.box.net/shared/a852q1lern

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hey Bill,

I've missed your presence and your music ... hope you continue to drop in when you are up for it.

I love this piece and have downloaded it and the score for safe keeping ... I'll be listening to this one for a while. It's replaced that flute trio thing you had performed last year as my favorite William Rayer composition; really great atmospheres and textures in this. I especially like the allegro breaks; very exciting and there's enough repetitions of some of the fragments to tie everything together.

One comment regarding the trombone/horn parts during the allegro sections: I love the lines, but without some form of hocketing, would it be playable (assuming this is a candadate for live performance some day ... it should!)? Or is this the sort of thing a conductor (or you) would tell the brass players where to alternately breath to keep the line going as uninterupted as possible. I know a lot of the leaps are fifths, but this would still be a challenging workout for very good players.

Once again ... this was great and thanks for sharing it.

Happy New Year!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hey Bill,

One comment regarding the trombone/horn parts during the allegro sections: I love the lines, but without some form of hocketing, would it be playable (assuming this is a candadate for live performance some day ... it should!)? Or is this the sort of thing a conductor (or you) would tell the brass players where to alternately breath to keep the line going as uninterupted as possible. I know a lot of the leaps are fifths, but this would still be a challenging workout for very good players.

Frank
    Hi Frank and thanks for your comments, they are always well recieved.

I hadn't gotten that far in the actual writing for making the part more playable especially in the allegro low brass. Their will be a comment line giving the instruction to break the part into one or 2 measure phrases. I have also considered writing 2 versions of the 1st and 2nd parts in the horn and trombone to accomplish this. But, that's chancy because some would take them as alternate parts not simultaneous parts. The same problem exists int the cello and basses, though, being a string player, they seem to handle better (they don't have to breath!)

Again, thanks for the comments and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Challenge #10 Winner

Absolutely beautiful opening - I really like the slow unfolding, both harmonically and melodically. The contrasting section is jarring ( I assume you mean it that way), and I would only add that perhaps it could be even more aggressive and intrusive (I'm thinking Nielsen's 5th). This could be very effective in live performance. Hope that can come to pass.

Thanks for sharing this. It's wonderful.

Best wishes for the New Year.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    The contrasting section is jarring ( I assume you mean it that way), and I would only add that perhaps it could be even more aggressive and intrusive (I'm thinking Nielsen's 5th). Best wishes for the New Year.
    I love Nielsen's 5th...

Yes, I like your idea of making it even more aggressive. Though, I believe in a live setting, it would be aggressive as it stands.

I have an apology, this is only the opening section of the work. If readers would like, I will post the entire 12 minute work for you to dissect.

best regards and happy new year also.

Challenge #10 Winner

I finally got a chance to listen to it at home (they block boxnet and similar sites at work now) and I loved it. Thanks for providing a score as well.

I love the harmonic language of the piece. My favorite motive is the woodwind (sometimes strings) mm15-16. It's nicely prepared but then they play it together and it's great.

I'd have to agree with another responder that the trombone part seems a little windy for an individual to handle. Depending on alternate positions, etc. the second trombone might have to move his/her slide around an awful lot too. Anyway I'm sure you'll come up with a solution for that.

Very nice and glad you decided to post that.

Does your term "orchestral painting" tend to explain the dissonant tonal quality/writing of this work? Just curious... I like what I hear, but when harmonically analyzing I can't seem to stack any type of chord structure. I know, you don't need to have one... but I was just curious to how this "style" came about for you. Was it random - how you felt at the time - impromptu? Was there a structural plan?

Sometimes I feel my writing it too tonal ... would like to explore this type of composing further...

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Does your term "orchestral painting" tend to explain the dissonant tonal quality/writing of this work? Just curious... I like what I hear, but when harmonically analyzing I can't seem to stack any type of chord structure. I know, you don't need to have one... but I was just curious to how this "style" came about for you. Was it random - how you felt at the time - impromptu? Was there a structural plan?

Sometimes I feel my writing it too tonal ... would like to explore this type of composing further...

M
    Michael - what is a chord? A stack of tomes. I don't think in Bachian harmony anymore. The chords are a result of two processes: 1) Linear movement 2) looking (in this piece anyways) for diatonic relations i.e. 4ths, 5ths - non traditional voice leading.

I think there is nothing wrong with chordal structure and I can give you many examples I have written that use chord sequecing. But music is more than that - it is an experience - (something I said a long time ago (1975)) a sound mass that goes somewhere - a painting of sound. That's where I try to go.

Sorry if that sounds esoteric. I write pop tunes to liberate my composition. I will post one if anyone cares to hear.

This piece has grown since I wrote the origianls (hmm, only a week ago). I will post it when I feel it is done.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast