• Register
  • Help

Topic: Malmsjö v.1.5 with Extended Dynamics

Share/Bookmark

Malmsjö v.1.5 with Extended Dynamics

Just to let you know that Malmsjö Acoustic Grand version 1.5 is now shipping.

Version 1.5 includes the new Malmsjö Acoustic Grand X (extended dynamics). This instrument has an extra fortissimo velocity layer.

The whole piano has been completely revised, and is now cleaner and more well-balanced than ever.

There are three new demos recorded with MAG X 1.5 and Malmsjö Rock Grand 1.5 on Art Vista\'s website: http://www.artvista.net/demos.htm

There is now also new help-files that can be downloaded directly: http://www.artvista.net/index.html

The new help-files includes instructions for, and information about the piano. It also tells the history of the Malmsjö piano company.

Hans

[This message has been edited by Hans Adamson (edited 05-18-2001).]

Re: Malmsjö v.1.5 with Extended Dynamics

Hans,

Just listened to some of the new demoes.
    Your piano has soul... much soul.
    This is what all libraries should have.
    I believe in recording \"heart/energy\", this is why I never record my samples if I am in a bad mood - then I do \"tecnically\" stuff instead and wait for my mood to change.

You must do something similar?

When I get time, I must buy this piano!

keep up the good work

with respect

Thomas

Thanks Thomas,

I think the original old Malmsjö piano has so much soul that it would have been hard not to get some of it into the sample, so I am not going to take credit for it.

But I do believe you are right. You have to be \"making music\" when you are sampling. It is not just a technical matter. Maybe equal parts of \"soul\", inspiration and devotion is a good mix...

Thanks,

Hans

hans, if you have the original Malmsjo piano do you get any reduction in price?

Thanks
    Wade

BTW it\'s my favorite piano sound and I have the Tracthman, Gigapiano, SteinwayB and East west Kawai ultimate piano Disks!

Wade,

Those who have bought from me can upgrade for a small fee. Just drop me an e-mail!

Hans

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hans Adamson:
    [B]Just to let you know that Malmsjö Acoustic Grand version 1.5 is now shipping.

I\'ve just downloaded your demos.
    They sound superb.

I\'ve got loads of piano libraries and they
    all seem to have a common fault...the soft samples are too quiet...and the loud samples are too loud and aggressive(no matter how much I alter the velocity curve)...making it very difficult to perform with any real feeling.
    Your demos suggest you have addressed this problem.

Are you using a \"special\" velocity curve,
    or does your Malmsyo piano really have that much \"soul\"?

If so, how do I order from the UK?

Thanks Nigel,

The velocity curves that came closest to reproduce the dynamics of the real piano, was in this case the linear curves, and maybe a non-linear at the loudest velocity, if I remember right. Great care was taken from the start of the project to ensure that the true velocities would be recreated in the sample. I think I got as close as was possible with the available velocity curves at the time.

Send me an e-mail to order. Go to http://www.artvista.net and click my name which is linked to my e-mail.

Hans

Hans,
    Why don\'t you record fortissimo samples, rather than create them with EQ?

regards,
    Arch

Arch,

The piano was sampled five years ago. It has been retuned since. A newly recorded velocity layer would not match the other layers which where all recorded in one session. Even if I could exactly replicate the conditions at the time, I would have to go to Sweden to try.

The odds seem to be against the possibility of improving the sample that way, but maybe I will give it a shot, when I am visiting over there...

Hans

Hans, if I can\'t reach you directly by email, do owners of the MAG first edition get any kind of a break on the new piano?

John Grant

Take that back! It\'s been answered above!

[This message has been edited by JG (edited 05-25-2001).]

Go Back to forum