• Register
  • Help

Topic: Organ Transplant

Share/Bookmark

Organ Transplant

I bought the PMI Organ as a replacement for the pipe organ in GPO. Not quite all that I had hoped for. It doesn't really have the bite of the Garritan libraries, but it is cleaner sounding and there are a lot of softer, less dense sounds -- which is what I needed most. The PMI organ must have had manuals with fewer keys, because some of the pieces I wrote that included GPO organ instruments go beyond its upper range, so I can't use it every place that I would have liked.

But what I most need is a basic tutorial on organ stops and how they are used. I read Terry Dwyer's excellent tutorial on the GPO organ. But the link for more detail on organ stops in general is dead and I can't find any more information. Unlike the other PMI instruments that I recently purchased, the organ included a user guide -- but it is mostly useless to someone who is new to organs. And the names of the stops haven't been translated into English, so it's hard to figure out what's what (except for a few obvious ones like the flutes and bassoon, where the spelling is similar to English). I am trying to identify the groups described by Mr. Dwyer (reeds, flutes, etc.) so that I know what is supposed to blend with what. I want to learn what the "rules" are before I break them (because I agree with the idea that, if you break them, there should be a reason).

I was disappointed that I didn't receive a response to these questions from PMI.

Allegro Data Solutions

Re: Organ Transplant

>>The PMI organ must have had manuals with fewer keys, because some of the pieces I wrote that included
    >>GPO organ instruments go beyond its upper range, so I can't use it every place that I would have liked.
    you can easily extend the PMI organ if you are using Kontakt. Just go to Mapping editor and extend the range.

>>But what I most need is a basic tutorial on organ stops and how they are used.
    This is very difficult unless you have organ near you. Choosing right stops is like doing orchestration.

>>And the names of the stops haven't been translated into English
    It is common for organ stops to have German and French names. Stops which has English names are not majority.
    You would learn a lot if you to go local church and pay the organist for an-hour lesson or interview.
    Or you can buy this book.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

"you can easily extend the PMI organ if you are using Kontakt. Just go to Mapping editor and extend the range."

Thanks for reminding me. Ordinarily, I wouldn't extend an instrument's range because the character might change in the highest register. But, I assume you are saying that, with organs, a pipe is a pipe and the only thing that would change is the pitch.

As for the rest, all I am really looking for is an English translation for the names of the stops, so that when I try different combinations I have some idea of what I am doing. They are grouped in categories, but then each category has at least one stop that sounds like flutes. So, it looks like the categories do not indicate the type of pipe. The patch names have numbers in them (16, 8, 4, etc.) which I assume means the length of the pipe. But this doesn't always match the pitch. There is one that appears to be an 8' stop (from the Kontakt instrument name) but it actually produces a sound that is much higher (closer to the sound of the other instruments that appear to be identified as 4' or 2').

I was hoping that someone who has the PMI organ (and knows more about organs than me) would have more information about it. Or that I would find a general tutorial online (like the missing article referenced by the Dwyer piece). Or, at least, a cross reference with the English names for the stops.

Thanks.

Allegro Data Solutions

Because PMI organ is Baroque organ, its range is narrower than Romantic or modern organ. If you don't like to extend the range using samples, you have to use or mix different pipes like 4' or 2' etc (and that is how organist extend the range)...

They are grouped in categories, but then each category has at least one stop that sounds like flutes. So, it looks like the categories do not indicate the type of pipe.
    No, they are not. They are grouped by keyboards. PMI has 4 keyboards (3 manuals & 1 pedal).

I am really looking for is an English translation for the names of the stops
    Again, organ players don't use English translation. Mostly because there is none, or the specific name indicate a bit "different" sound. For example, "Principal (Amerian)" "Prinzipal (German)" "Diapason (English)" "Montre (French)" is the term used to indicate a certain set of pipes (stop) in "fundamental" family. But organist knows their sound are different enough to use all the terms. This multi-term approach is very common for larger organs and (especially) electric organs.

The patch names have numbers in them (16, 8, 4, etc.)
    4' one octave up
    8' concert pitch
    16' one octave down.
    You can do the rest.

There is one that appears to be an 8' stop (from the Kontakt instrument name) but it actually produces a sound that is much highe
    That is either by
    1) just a mistake.
    2) it is not 8' only, but 4', 2' or Mixture is also mixed

I have PMI, but I have not used it for very long time, and have not installed in the computer to check for you.

The pipe organ is not a standardized instrument, so I was like you when I first started to learn about pipe organ. Again, if you really want to learn or have to (or want to) write score for pipe organ, do the private lesson or interview once.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

If you want to learn more about organ stops, check out this web site:

http://www.organstops.org/MainFrameN.html

Steve

Thanks. I took a quick look at this, but it seems to be just what I was looking for.

Also, found this http://www.theatreorgans.com/disley/table.html

Allegro Data Solutions

Go Back to forum