• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using Trilian in a live performance

Share/Bookmark

Using Trilian in a live performance

Hey, all! I have read threads with people talking about how to use Trilian in live performance, but does anyone have any experience with it? I've been using Mainstage 2 hosting the Kontakt acoustic and electric bass (which I prefer to the ones included in Mainstage) and while I am okay with the sounds, the setup is just shaky enough to make me nervous. I've only had one actual "crash" in about 600 shows, but there are frequently a few pops or latency issues in each show. I currently have a MBP with the 2.33 Ghz Core duo with a 7200 rpm drive, but am about to buy one with I am about to purchase the 2.4 Ghz i5 with a 7200 rpm drive. Just wondering if that should run smoothly, if the 4 GB of ram should be enough, and any general impressions of Trilian being used in live mode. (Or are there any recommendations for a less expensive bass library which sounds good?) The show I am currently doing is 50's - 60's rock - Mr. Sandman to Respect, but an upcoming show is much more in the late 60's rock vein - Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, etc. Thanks!

Re: Using Trilian in a live performance

my experiences with Mainstage were rather bad no matter what plugins i was using with it.
    But the last time i tried it was more than a year ago so maybe it improved with the latest updates.
    But it was definetly bad enough that i would never consider using it in front of an audience.

Thanks for the reply, Hans. I've actually had good luck with Mainstage so far, although I have had many friends who have had problems with it crashing or popping. I tend to play my keyboard parts on hardware synths, so Mainstage is used mostly for brass and string lines, which seems to weigh less on the CPU. My hope was that since I would be using Trilian only for bass line that it would not be that taxing on the computer, but I also know the Trilian sounds for live performance seem to take up a lot of memory. I work primarily in musical theater pits, and here in NY (when not just using K2600's or 10 Akai samplers midi-ed together!), most programmers seem to be using Mainstage. I have heard the version I use - Mainstage 2 - is less problematic than the first version.

Trilian uses streaming which greatly speeds up loading times.
    Only the largest sounds like the acoustic bass need a considerably longer time to load (general loadtimes are between 1-30 seconds depending on patch and hardrive)
    Another way to shorten loadtimes is using the liteversions of the sounds.

My main culprits with mainstage were the fact that that it would cut off drumloops that i was using as a backingtrack (from EXS24).
    Nothing like being caught pants down in front of people when a loop suddenly stops in the middle of a bar.
    Maybe i should try version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    Trilian uses streaming which greatly speeds up loading times.
    Only the largest sounds like the acoustic bass need a considerably longer time to load (general loadtimes are between 1-30 seconds depending on patch and hardrive)
    Another way to shorten loadtimes is using the liteversions of the sounds.

My main culprits with mainstage were the fact that that it would cut off drumloops that i was using as a backingtrack (from EXS24).
    Nothing like being caught pants down in front of people when a loop suddenly stops in the middle of a bar.
    Maybe i should try version 2.
    Hi hans,

Do you use the live mode and MIDI program changes?
    If so is there any chance you could make the live bank/patch file available?
    I am part the way there, but a working file would just mean changing the bass sound etc.,
    and speed up my world somewhat.
    Hope you are all enjoying the new year...

cheers
    Bryan
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ 8.00 GB Ram
    2 x SSD drives 120 & 128 GB
    ST9160823AS 150GB 7200 rpm
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4
    Native Instruments B4 VSTi Bridged "Jbridge"
    Dosbox 0.74 running "Texture" sequencer.

Sorry Bryan-i never use the Live mode-as a matter of fact i just learned that it will respond to MIDI program changes-wasnt even aware of that!

Go Back to forum