• Register
  • Help

Topic: Assinging midi tracks to the Aria player...

Share/Bookmark

Question Assinging midi tracks to the Aria player...

You may think that i should know this but honestly i don't:

I am trying to understand how to use the Aria player and the GPO4 library when assigning midi tracks to a midi file.

I launch for example Digital Performer 7 , open a midi file that has 16 tracks of midi data then

launch the Aria player within Digital Performer i see there are 16 empty slots/tracks in the Aria player.

How do i assign each/any midi track, 1 thru 16 midi tracks of a midi file, to the 1 thru 16 empty slots in that Aria player?
    LC520 25MHz (my first iMac ), , 8500/SonnetG4, , Performa6360, , QuickSilver G4 ,iMac G3 500MHz ,iMac 2008 edition , iMac 3.06 GHz 2009 edition and what next Apple?

maybe you like the wold in gray I prefer colorfull

Re: Assinging midi tracks to the Aria player...

No one knows how this is done ?
    LC520 25MHz (my first iMac ), , 8500/SonnetG4, , Performa6360, , QuickSilver G4 ,iMac G3 500MHz ,iMac 2008 edition , iMac 3.06 GHz 2009 edition and what next Apple?

Quote Originally Posted by macguy View Post
    No one knows how this is done ?
    Sorry no one has responded yet. If you still need help with this, let me know, and I'll post some instructions to you tomorrow night. By the way, I'm a Windows 7 user, but I should still be able to walk you through it.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    Sorry no one has responded yet. If you still need help with this, let me know, and I'll post some instructions to you tomorrow night. By the way, I'm a Windows 7 user, but I should still be able to walk you through it.

Steve
    Yes please.

Re: Assigning midi tracks to the Aria player...

You may think that i should know this but honestly i don't:

I am trying to understand how to use the Aria player and the GPO4 library when assigning midi tracks to a midi file.

I launch for example Digital Performer 7 , open a midi file that has 16 tracks of midi data then

launch the Aria player within Digital Performer i see there are 16 empty slots/tracks in the Aria player.

How do i assign each/any midi track, 1 thru 16 midi tracks of a midi file, to the 1 thru 16 empty slots in that Aria player?
    Okay, before we get started here are a couple of caveats:

1. As I mentioned, I use Windows 7. My DAW is Sonar 8.5. The terminology I'll be using refers to my particular setup, but hopefully you'll be able to extrapolate this to figuring out how you do it on yours.

2. I don't know what Digital Performer 7's limitations may be in terms of running multiple instances of ARIA. The following may be TMI, but I offer it in case you can (and may need to) go beyond 16 tracks for your music.

Building ensembles

The first step is to build your ensemble(s) in ARIA. Open ARIA as a standalone player. You have up to 16 slots into which you'll load whatever instrument patches you select from either the Standard or Notation GPO libraries. (The Notation patches are designed for use with a notation program such as Finale or Sibelius. Since you're using DP 7, you should go with the Standard patches.) Once you've selected the instrument patches for your ensemble, select Save as under the File menu and save the ensemble under whatever name you choose. (In Windows the saved file has the .aria extension. Also, you can save these files to any location you want. Just be sure to make a note of whatever that location is, as you will need it for loading those files into ARIA through DP 7.)

If DP 7 supports more than 16 tracks, you can create more than one ARIA ensemble for use in the same project. For example, I have assembled a virtual orchestra with GPO 4 that uses five different ARIA ensembles. Because Sonar 8.5 supports an unlimited number of tracks, I can run all five of those ensembles at once.

Loading the ensembles into your DAW

Now that you have created your ensemble(s) in ARIA, the next step to is to load it(them) into your DAW and and assign each instrument channel to its corresponding MIDI track. This is fairly straightforward, as all you'll need to do is launch ARIA in DP 7, then load your saved ensemble file in ARIA. Just remember that ARIA channels = MIDI tracks.

Things get a bit more complicated if your DAW supports more than 16 tracks/channels. Returning to my virtual orchestra example, I have five instances of ARIA loaded into Sonar's synth rack. I can access each instance there and load the different ensemble files I created. In Sonar each instance is numbered, so I know that ARIA player 1 channel 1 belongs to a different instrument than ARIA player 3 channel 1. Then it becomes a matter of mapping each track's channel assignment to the channel number in the instrument's corresponding ARIA player.

One last thing I should mention is that the DAWs in Windows give us a choice between ARIA player and ARIA player multi as VST plug-ins. While both choices provide slots for up to 16 instrument patches, the big difference is that only the multi player sends over 16 channels. If you have the same choice in DP 7, you should select the multi player.

I hope that I haven't totally confused the hades out of you. Please let me know if all this helps you at all, and I'll be happy to answer any followup questions you have.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Thumbs up Re: Assinging midi tracks to the Aria player...

Thank you Steve.

Just a quick note to let you know i have printed a copy of your instructions. Now i have to try 2 make it work for me. With my track record 4 getting things done wrong no doubt i will be back asking 4 more help.

Thank you Steve.

Just a quick note to let you know i have printed a copy of your instructions. Now i have to try 2 make it work for me. With my track record 4 getting things done wrong no doubt i will be back asking 4 more help.
    Absolutely, let me know how it goes and I'll be happy to answer any further questions.

Steve

Go Back to forum