• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sounds in Finale that are not in GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Sounds in Finale that are not in GPO?

I was just looking at a flyer advertising an upgrade to Finale 2011.

On page 8, new Garritan sounds are advertised as coming with the package:

Bass Trombone
    Brass Section
    Children's Choir Aahs
    Full Electronic Drum Kit
    Flute Section
    Steel Drums
    Synth Space Voice
    Synth Warm Pad

I thought, cool, although I don't have the latest Finale, I do have the latest update to GPO4, I must have those sounds too.

I started up GPO4, looked for the children's choir aahs. Nope, not there, just that one choir voice which we've had for a while, which is pretty bad.

Looked for a couple of the others, could not find them either.

I thought that the sounds that are bundled with notation programs are a subset of the full GPO. I would not think that there are sounds bundled with Finale or Sibelius, that are not also in GPO. Or--are there Garritan sounds now that only come with the notation programs, not available anywhere else? Or, will we see these soon, in a coming update?

Re: Sounds in Finale that are not in GPO?

Some of those sounds are from other Garritan libraries like the Jazz and BigBand, Concert/Marching Band and World libraries.

I'm not sure about the Choir sounds since he doesn't have a choir library yet. Gary also started developing a general midi module but I believe may have abandoned the project.

So the notation sounds are MOSTLY from GPO with a smattering of sounds from the other libraries.

I was excited when I upgraded to Finale 2011 because there are Garritan choir sounds including "oohs." I used them in Lesson and Carols which is posted in the Listening Room. I used them in Aria in SONAR, not Finale, however. The "oohs" are really great sounding.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Maiki --

Something must be wrong with your setup. I have all of those sounds, including the children's choir, in my Finale 2011.

You need to have a file installed (in your Finale directories) that has a complete list of the GPO instruments before they all show up. I forgot the name of it, but Michael_UK helped me get it. Let me see if I can find the forum post where I found this answer...

Hmmm...

The name of the file is "gpofull4instrument.txt" and it needs to be added to your Finale directories. If you do a forum search for that filename, you will find the help you need.

It makes a difference in which order you installed GPO4 and Finale 2011, as I understand it. If you installed Finale 2011 AFTER GPO4, then that file will be missing.

I hope I have pointed you in the right direction. But I installed that file, and I have no problem finding any of those instruments you listed in your post in my Finale setup.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbub View Post
    It makes a difference in which order you installed GPO4 and Finale 2011, as I understand it. If you installed Finale 2011 AFTER GPO4, then that file will be missing.
    Hmmm. Just FYI - I upgraded to Finale 2011 after installing GPO4 and did not have this problem. I am using Windows 7 Pro 64bit. My "Children's Aahs," "Choir Oohs" and "Choir Aahs" are accessible from the Finale Default Bank in ARIA.

I know that probably didn't help, but maybe it will help point to an answer.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    Hmmm. Just FYI - I upgraded to Finale 2011 after installing GPO4 and did not have this problem. I am using Windows 7 Pro 64bit. My "Children's Aahs," "Choir Oohs" and "Choir Aahs" are accessible from the Finale Default Bank in ARIA.

I know that probably didn't help, but maybe it will help point to an answer.
    If you already had a previous copy of Finale installed before GPO4, then the file will have been installed, no matter which version of Finale you have. If you then upgrade to Finale 2011, it will still be there. I was talking about if you had NO version of Finale installed first, then GPO4 assumes you don't have it and does not install that file because there are no Finale directories to put it in.

A great many people have complained about this issue on both this forum and the Finale forum. It happened on my computer because I installed GPO4 before I installed any version of Finale -- hence there were no Finale directories to put it in.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

If you already had a previous copy of Finale installed before GPO4, then the file will have been installed, no matter which version of Finale you have. If you then upgrade to Finale 2011, it will still be there.
    Aaaah! That's makes sense! Thanks for the clarification!

Happy Holidays!

Hello Arvid,

Perhaps I was not clear.

I do not have Finale 2011, but an older version.

I saw those sounds listed on an upgrade advertisement for Finale 2011.

I assumed. however, that since I have the latest version of GPO, I must have those sounds also, but could not find them.

Someone else wrote--most of the notation sounds are from GPO, but some from other Garritan libraries. Of those I listed from the Finale upgrade flyer, which are present in the most recent GPO4? Where is that children's choir sound? In Jazz and Big Band???

That is why I asked--are there Garritan sounds being bundled with notation programs now, that are not present in the full Garritan programs?

Or--are we getting them soon?

Maiki --

Something must be wrong with your setup. I have all of those sounds, including the children's choir, in my Finale 2011.

You need to have a file installed (in your Finale directories) that has a complete list of the GPO instruments before they all show up. I forgot the name of it, but Michael_UK helped me get it. Let me see if I can find the forum post where I found this answer...

Hmmm...

The name of the file is "gpofull4instrument.txt" and it needs to be added to your Finale directories. If you do a forum search for that filename, you will find the help you need.

I hope I have pointed you in the right direction. But I installed that file, and I have no problem finding any of those instruments you listed in your post in my Finale setup.

I am not sure if I understand the following correctly.

Do you mean that if one already has Finale installed on the computer (any version), and then installs GPO 4, that those new sounds will be available in GPO, even if one does not have Finale 2011.

I realized that the computer I was using GPO from, never had Finale installed on it. I have Finale 2006, however. (Which also came with Garritan, although it may have been the Kontakt version then.) If I install Finale 2006 on the computer, then re-install GPO4, will I then have the described sounds in GPO?

What about the GPO users who never had Finale? Tough luck for them? Or will we all be getting an update soon, that includes these sounds?

If you already had a previous copy of Finale installed before GPO4, then the file will have been installed, no matter which version of Finale you have. If you then upgrade to Finale 2011, it will still be there. I was talking about if you had NO version of Finale installed first, then GPO4 assumes you don't have it and does not install that file because there are no Finale directories to put it in.

A great many people have complained about this issue on both this forum and the Finale forum. It happened on my computer because I installed GPO4 before I installed any version of Finale -- hence there were no Finale directories to put it in.

Hello again maiki,

Finale's bundled sounds have spanned several of the Garritan libraries for some time now. For example Finale has included some of the saxaphones from the JABB library since Finale 2008 or 2009. The same with euphoniums from COMB and there has also been the inclusion of some general midi sounds from the abandoned GEM project.

I can't identify where every sound you listed comes from with certainty, but I'll give it a shot:

Bass Trombone -- There are bass trombones in GPO, JABB and possibly COMB. GPO has a new sample from the SAM brass.
    Brass Section -- COMB
    Children's Choir Aahs -- Not sure. Garritan is developing a choral library so possibly from that.
    Full Electronic Drum Kit -- could be from GEM. I'm not sure if there's an electronic set in JABB
    Flute Section -- COMB
    Steel Drums -- Likely the new World Library
    Synth Space Voice -- Likely from GEM
    Synth Warm Pad -- Likely from GEM

By the way I can't say for sure that GEM has been abandoned. I believe there is a refill version of it but seem to remember a discussion about not developing it for ARIA in favor of more pressing needs. I could be wrong about that though.

Go Back to forum