• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for best sax sound for WX5

Share/Bookmark

Looking for best sax sound for WX5

After a 10 year hiatus I got out my WX5 & VL70m and started playing again. I'm surprised to see that these two haven't been upgraded since I bought them 10 years ago. I thought they'd be outdated by now.

I'm curious if there are better sax sounds out there? I saw the Patchman Turbo VL chip for $250. I've read some good & bad opinions of it. Some say synthesis is the best for sax and others say sampling. I see there are some other choices such as SaxLab, Wallandar, etc.

I'm curious what people recommend? I play Alto Sax so I like a really good sax sound. I'm planning on getting cubase and doing some Midi so that's my interest in the wind controller.

Thanks

Re: Looking for best sax sound for WX5

sax sound is really hard to emulate.
    I dont like the sound of the vl70m. its playability is great, but i dont care much for the sound.
    You could check : samplemodeling.com
    i really like their trumpet sound, but i dont like the saxes. but maybe you do. i think its playablility is closest to the vl70m.

Quote Originally Posted by bartp View Post
    sax sound is really hard to emulate.
    I dont like the sound of the vl70m. its playability is great, but i dont care much for the sound.
    You could check : samplemodeling.com
    i really like their trumpet sound, but i dont like the saxes. but maybe you do. i think its playablility is closest to the vl70m.
    Hi Bart,

I spent a few hours googling after my post and so far I think Mr. Sax A is the closest to what I want. I was listening to some songs I recorded with the VL70m a long time ago and it doesn't really sound like a saxophone.

I wish there were a Mr Sax trial but there is not. I'm not sure I want to pay $300 to try it so I'm still investigating other options.

In this area, in my opinion the two best virtual saxes out there are Samplemodeling's and Wallander's. Each has their own pros and cons, highlights and lowlights, but those two pretty much leave the other choices far behind.

Wallander (Wivi) does have a demo (maybe not with all the different types of saxes but at least one type) and you can give it a try.

Someone that you might like to look up is Tony Ostinato. He is a professional musician using a wind controller live with Wivi. Google around and you will find him on Youtube and Soundcloud.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

Quote Originally Posted by Little Red King View Post
    In this area, in my opinion the two best virtual saxes out there are Samplemodeling's and Wallander's. Each has their own pros and cons, highlights and lowlights, but those two pretty much leave the other choices far behind.

Wallander (Wivi) does have a demo (maybe not with all the different types of saxes but at least one type) and you can give it a try.

Someone that you might like to look up is Tony Ostinato. He is a professional musician using a wind controller live with Wivi. Google around and you will find him on Youtube and Soundcloud.
    I listened to a few of his videos on you tube. I'd like to hear just a wx5 playing the wivi saxophones but I haven't found that yet. I may try the demo. Thanks for sharing.

Go Back to forum