• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB3 round robin staccatos?

Share/Bookmark

JABB3 round robin staccatos?

HI there.

Pre purchase question.....

Does JABB3 have round robin samples for staccato notes? I'm thinking particularly of double tonguing on brass.

Want to make sure I don't get the dreaded machine gun effect.

Many thanks

M

Re: JABB3 round robin staccatos?

Quote Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
    HI there.

Pre purchase question.....

Does JABB3 have round robin samples for staccato notes? I'm thinking particularly of double tonguing on brass.

Want to make sure I don't get the dreaded machine gun effect.

Many thanks

M
    You can lessen any machine gun effect in the ARIA Player by using two variation controls that are assigned to MIDI continuous controllers. One is for timbre and the other for pitch. Used in conjunction with the length control you can disguise the repeated samples fairly well.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have to move the variation controls to vary each note or could you turn them up a certain way for a repeated note passage and then each note will be a little bit different?

Thanks

M

Quote Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

Do you have to move the variation controls to vary each note or could you turn them up a certain way for a repeated note passage and then each note will be a little bit different?
    Thanks

M
    Because they are controlled with MIDI CC, you have total flexibility with the variation controls - easiest way is to draw them in your DAW controller lane. For example, draw them in just for a fast repeated note passage and then turn them off. Personally, I leave them on, set between 3 or 10% most of the time (depending on the music) and only change them when it's necessary.

The two VAR (variation) controls will randomly change the data.
    VAR 1 is pitch alteration, and when set to a minimal value, notes will be detuned randomly. Setting this VAR 1 to a high level will make the sound excessively out of tune (Jr. High School) A minimal setting works great.

VAR 2 is EQ (equalizer) alteration, and when set to a minimal value, each note will be EQ'd randomly. Setting this VAR 2 to a high level will make even repeated samples sound different, again a minimal setting is best.

As KG said, these two controls can be automated with the appropriate cc data.
    Dan

DPDan has said it quite well and everyone has given you excellent advice. This is a very friendly and helpful forum.

Oh and BTW DPDan, your quote:

Setting this VAR 1 to a high level will make the sound excessively out of tune (Jr. High School)
    Any Junior High that I worked with didn't have that problem!

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

For what it's worth, I have found a good starting point for setting the VAR1 and VAR2 values is the formula VAR1=VAR2=2/d, where d is the duration of the note in seconds. (Yes, I am an engineer/programmer by profession -- I can't help but develop formulae for just about everything).

Using this, notes longer than a second get a low CC value (0-2), moderately short notes get a practical CC value (somewhere in the 3-20 range), with CC values getting higher as the note durations get more challenging, and ridiculously fast notes get higher CC values.

Of course, calculating/entering this by hand would be tedious. If you have programming skills, you could write a program to add VAR1 and VAR2 values to a MIDI file based on the formula above -- or just use it as a starting point so that you have some idea of what CC values you want to use in different sections.

As always, use your personal taste to adjust the CC values as you see fit.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

or if you don't have mathematical skills you can just set it and forget it

Dan

Quicktime video

Windows video

I really need to cut back on the Pepsi when I record

Often I will use a completely different approach. With JABB and GPO(etc) you have so many separate individual players that you can use this trick often when repetitive parts come in. It is an illusion but it works well.

What the trick is is to simply alternate between player patches, the note/notes that are repeated. In addition you can use var 1 and 2. Even with the pan difference when something goes by like this, no one even notices(I know I have put up many pieces using this very thing and not one mention ...

Here is an example with 2 trumpets. What I did was just input the entire thing on one staff then cloned it and assigned the clone to a different plr patch. Then just eliminated every other note from each, shortened them, messed with length, and added the var controls. This can be done with single lines or for even more variation you can use all the player patches you want and alternate in even a random way if wanted. Hope this helps.

BTW I just used the sound scrub to show that they are temporarily alternating to avoid playing the same note in a row. When I push play that is where all the CC data makes a difference. Anyhow this is my preferred method for repetitive notes. I like this way best, even if it is an illusion, because with JABB or GPO(or whatever) you have so many individual patches that you can have a huge potential for variation on single notes. Sorry I am not a video editing guru!

Robert Davis

Wow you are not kidding about how helpful this forum is are you? Could some of you please go and work for Steinberg as tech support? They really need people like you guys!

Fantastic! Thanks everyone.

Loved the videos. Very very clear. Particularly liked the burp at the end of machine gun mov.

I presume there is a setting for that somewhere ? ;-)

The sound in cantibile's video was very convincing. Thanks! A good alternate technique!

Thanks again guys.

Have just purchased JABB so looking forward to trying everything out.

Go Back to forum