• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any Finale users be able to answer a question or two please?

Share/Bookmark

Any Finale users be able to answer a question or two please?

Hi

I am a GPO 4 user utilising Cubase 5.5. I am not too familiar with the workings of Finale.

I am working with a colleague on some orchestral pieces. He uses Finale 2010 (with built-in Aria) and he is still coming to grips with all the intricacies of the program.
    My job is to take the raw dry audio files he is producing and mix them to create the impression of a real orchestra....it's going well, but I have a couple of questions/problems.....

1. Is 16 bit/44100KHz the best quality that Finale 2010 can do audio export ?

2. On the 1st Violins Section sample set, if the exported stereo audio track contains any Pizzicato samples, we are losing the right channel information. The first few notes of Pizz might be OK and have both channels, but then the right channel disappears.
    Other articulations of the 1st Violins Section on the same track are not affected - all right channel information is present & correct.
    Has anybody using Finale come across this problem in exported files before ?

3. In Cubase with ARIA GPO 4, I can control Vibrato intensity on Flutes with "Aftertouch" (Channel Pressure) and Vibrato speed with CC17.
    Is this possible in Finale 2010, and if so, how do you actually go about programming that info into Finale to get control over Vibrato ?

Many thanks
    Tuch

Re: Any Finale users be able to answer a question or two please?

As an option, instead of working with Finale's audio files, why not export the midi file from Finale into Cubase and do everything in the DAW?

Hi

I might be wrong, but I don't think the Midifile export would include all the
    dynamics, articulation changes and "human playback" info that is particular
    to Finale ?...so the playback in Cubase would not be "correct".

Cheers
    Tuch

That's not exactly correct. If your friend runs the "Apply Human Playback" plugin, then all of the performance data that HP applies will get written into the midi file. Your friend might want to run this on a copy of the file, so he archive one file without the extra midi data if needed. In Cubase you'll need to load the GPO notation samples, in order for the Finale midi data to be compatible.

Hi Jeff

OK ...many thanks for that info...we will give this a try...

Cheers
    Tuch

Quote Originally Posted by Tuchwood View Post
    1. Is 16 bit/44100KHz the best quality that Finale 2010 can do audio export?
    That is (I believe) still the most widely used sample rate. If that's the rate at which the samples in the GPO library were recorded, then attempting to upsample may lead to more trouble than it's worth. To be honest, I haven't felt the need to go beyond 16 bit/44 KHz, so I could be all wet here. You could try taking your exported audio file (I think it has to be uncompressed, i.e. WAV or AU) and upsampling it in a sound editor. If you try this, let me know how it turns out, and if it works whether or not there is any singificant improvement in sound quality.

2. On the 1st Violins Section sample set, if the exported stereo audio track contains any Pizzicato samples, we are losing the right channel information. The first few notes of Pizz might be OK and have both channels, but then the right channel disappears. Other articulations of the 1st Violins Section on the same track are not affected - all right channel information is present & correct. Has anybody using Finale come across this problem in exported files before ?
    Hmmmm, sounds suspiciously like a patch problem, and nothing that could be corrected through Finale. If your colleague is using the GPO4 library that came bundled with Finale 2010, there could be some bugs in there that aren't present in the current (full) version of GPO. However, that's only my surmise, so hopefully someone with a little more expertise in this area could weigh in on the issue. (Another possibility is that the problem is being caused by the version of ARIA included in Finale 2010.)

3. In Cubase with ARIA GPO 4, I can control Vibrato intensity on Flutes with "Aftertouch" (Channel Pressure) and Vibrato speed with CC17. Is this possible in Finale 2010, and if so, how do you actually go about programming that info into Finale to get control over Vibrato?
    Yes, and you can use Finale's MIDI tool for this. If you look toward the upper right corner in Finale's main window you'll see a button that looks like this:
    Click on that button, and it'll add MIDI Tool to the menu bar. From the MIDI Tool rolldown menu select Edit Continuous Data. This sets the controller for which you'll be adding MIDI data. In the View Continuous Data window select your controller of choice, then hit OK. Next select a measure or measure region with your mouse, then select Set To from the MIDI Tool menu and enter the value you want for the controller you chose. If you want to fade in/fade out vibrato, use Scale instead of Set To.

There are three things to bear in mind here: First, in the Human Playback Preferences - MIDI Data dialog box, you'll need to set Continuous Data to HP (Incorporate Data). If you leave it set to (Ignore Data), the controller data you defined through the MIDI tool will be ignored on playback/export. Second, once the vibrato controllers are activated with channel pressure and CC17, they stay on until you turn them off by setting their values to 0 through the MIDI tool. Third, only certain instruments will respond to externally applied vibrato. Patches that are already sampled with vibrato won't be affected by the vibrato controllers.

Jeff was absolutely correct when he said that all HP data will be included in MIDI file exports from Finale. This applies to data assigned through the MIDI tool as well. With that said, a DAW will give you more power and flexibility for fine-tuning performance data. As much as I love Finale as a notation program, I still find its sequencer functions to be pretty clunky. Therefore my best recommendation would be to use Finale as a "rough draft" for performance purposes, then get to know your DAW really well and use its editing features to the max when you import MIDI files created through Finale.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Hi Steve

Thank you for your detailed responses to my questions, particularly in relation to the Vibrato control in Finale.....much appreciated.

I have passed this onto my colleague and will let you know later how he gets on.

Cheers
    Tuch

Go Back to forum