• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where's the SAX ?

Share/Bookmark

Red face Where's the SAX ?

Just purchased the Mac version of Garritan_Personal_Orchestra_4.02 and really overwhelmed by working with those virtual instruments in one of my favorite DAW's, Digital Performer 7.

One of my questions has to do with an instrument that does not appear to be included.

I admit that I am not very familiar let alone play many of the instruments.

I noticed that there is no Sax. Could someone explain why not ?
    LC520 25MHz (my first iMac AND still working ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QS G4, G3 iMac, iMac 3.06 GHz,
    + midi/audio software, hardware and midi/acoustical instruments

Re: Where's the SAX ?

Hi SHELUK, I too use DP7.22 and GPO4.

Saxaphone is not traditionally considered an orchestral instrument.
    Many saxophones are available in Garritan's Jazz and Big Band which happens to be on sale for $99.99 on Garritan's website.

Dan

Welcome to the forum!!!

I'm glad you are enjoying GPO4. I am envious of your Digital Performer, but having a PC I can't do much about it. DP is a fantastic program!

As for the missing sax, well it's not there. Like Dan said, it's in the Garritan Jazz and Big Band (JABB) Library. I know there's lots of debate over the sax being used in classical music. There's a fantastic piece for soprano sax and orchestra by Michael Nyman called Where the Bee Dances which you owe it to yourself to listen to.

In any case, that's why you can't find it. JABB is a lot of fun to use and you can mix instruments from both JABB and GPO4 through Aria. At $99 for Christmas it's a steal!

Have a great day!

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Hi SHELUK,

Here is a tune I did when Garritan Jazz and Big Band came out back in 2006.
    It's pretty sad really, but some of it's cool... anyway
    at least you can hear some of the saxes.

Dan

JABB demo

The Concert and Marching Band library also has saxophones and they are recorded with a more classical tone quality than the ones in JABB. The saxophones in both libraries can be mixed and matched though for the task at hand - whatever it might be. The libraries are designed to be complimentary.

Tom

Thank you one and all for the generous/helpful information.

Would love to buy the other "bands" but but but the budget is zero especially when the boss says " what ? another piece of software ? ". Perhaps there will be another price reduction sale next Xmas.

Meanwhile I am trying to figure out why i cannot make use of instruments from Finale 20111 since there is a SAX in that collection. Although, there is a bit of glitch here depending if i boot from my main iMac hard drive or it's external firewired hard drive. I have posted a specific question about that glitch.

Thanks DPDan for the demo: nice.

LC520 25MHz (my first iMac AND still working ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QS G4, G3 iMac, iMac 3.06 GHz,
    + midi/audio software, hardware and midi/acoustical instruments

glad to help SHELUK

Go Back to forum