• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Buy single instruments?

Share/Bookmark

Question Buy single instruments?

Hallo
    Do you know if is it possible (or planned) to buy single instruments from Garritan? I own GPO4 and I'll buy soon JABB3, but I'd like to have, for example, a Sousaphone from COMB2 and an Alphorn from WORLD and some other instrument...
    Thank you
    er

Re: Buy single instruments?

It's not possible to buy individual instruments.

I doubt this is in the plan of things but I have no insider information.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Unhappy Re: Buy single instruments?

Thanks for the bad news... :-(
    er

I'm not sure how practical it would be to manage thousands of individual instruments as products. The library collections are priced very well if you want to quantify a per instrument price. For instance the Garritan World Instrument library collection, that would be around $0.42 cents per instrument!

This is an idea we considered and perhaps we should explore it in this thread.

Offering individual instruments is doable. It would take some setup work. But I am wondering how practical it is.

As others mentioned, our libraries offer a large collection of instruments at a great value.

If we do this, what type of pricing would be attractive if we offered individual instruments?

If we offer individual instruments, we need to consider authorization. Do we do a keycard per instrument? And if one orders 20 instruments would someone want to activate each? And documentation for each instrument could be daunting.

What if people don't like one particular instrument? The way it is now there are many many instruments to offset one that a user dislikes. But for one particular instrument - a user may have a predisposed taste (some argue over real instruments). And some won't read the manual (to know to use a mod wheel), or it doesn't sound like an instrument in a Roland keyboard, or one heard in a particular movie. With a large collection, it's like buying a CD album and disliking one song - you don't mind so much because the album has other songs you love.

These are some of my main concerns. Please let me know your thoughts.

-Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    These are some of my main concerns. Please let me know your thoughts.

-Gary
    I would think a selection of Orchestral Effects (clusters (chromatic and diatonic with a variable spread (top and bottom limit) would be great!), full orchestral glissandi etc) and some "World" instruments as they are requested/discovered, might be good individual products. Prepared Piano effects and prepared Timpani effects - not for everybody, but some of us would like them.

Different Gongs/Cymbals etc as well might be good. Include bowed vibes, gongs, other bowed idiophones (crotales, glock). As individual downloads these would be great. Water gong (I'm listing as they come to mind), whirling tubes, flexatones...

So instead of offering many downloads from select libraries, maybe a few add-ons would be good.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Lightbulb Re: Buy single instruments?

Something as a subscription?

You offer for 20$ say 10 Instruments to choose in your libraries.

PREREQUISITE: one MUST own a complete, authorized library. So there're no problems for authorization/activation and for manuals...

Thanks for the interesting thread!
    er

I would be interested in buying a few individual instruments here and there.

I would be interested in an Acoustic guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Offering individual instruments is doable. It would take some setup work. But I am wondering how practical it is.
    If we offer individual instruments, we need to consider authorization. Do we do a keycard per instrument? And if one orders 20 instruments would someone want to activate each? And documentation for each instrument could be daunting.
    The idea of getting individual instruments sounds great for the users of Garritan sounds.

But ...

The time and effort to design, program, implement, and debug the new licensing scheme is time and effort not spent on the libraries. And there would almost certainly be some bad press caused by new users experiencing inevitable problems with the new licensing scheme.

The Garritan libraries are already very reasonably priced. I suggest you put off even thinking about this until all planned libraries have been released and you're facing months of boredom.

Pat

Go Back to forum