• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mozart in ARIA

Share/Bookmark

Mozart in ARIA

Hello all. I haven't posted here before.

A recent project of mine required several mock-ups of well known classical pieces and because it is so easy to work with, I chose GPO4 for the job. These short clips were programmed entirely within ARIA including the use of the built-in reverb, Ambience. Other more expensive convolution reverbs could have been used but it’s so convenient and fast to work within one mixer when time is limited. Garritan are, apparently, considering the inclusion of a convolution reverb within GPO 5. What a good idea.

KG

Re: Mozart in ARIA

Very amusing.
    More AIRy than many middle-of-the-road Mozart performances.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Very amusing.
    The title or the music?

I like my Mozart on the bubbly side.

By the way, I noticed you were asking about Cubase and GPO. They go well together, I find.

KG

Quote Originally Posted by kwg333 View Post
    The title or the music?
    The music.

Oh, no... Both... both... Ah, Ah! I see what the title means in italian!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

I really like the first. Second is OK, but the fast solo violins sound a bit synthy, but that I understand and sympathize. People are ALWAYS saying that about MY stuff!

Nice work overall!

Very amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by voclizr View Post
    I really like the first. Second is OK, but the fast solo violins sound a bit synthy,
    Thank you both for your comments. Much appreciated.

Synthy here and there, yes, but that's the nature of GPO 4. I could have used VSL SE for purer sounds or mixed in other libraries but it would have taken a lot longer to program them expressively. I like the musicality of GPO 4.

Anyway, for further amusement, I've added another EKN movement to the player and will add some Bach in the coming days.

Cheers,

KG

It's impossible to get some of the fast violin sequences natural, since there is only one sample per note, and the same note gets repeated so fast that the ear picks it up. You might get a slightly better sound by playing a bit with the "length" parameter. Your rendering is quite musical. Yes, some of the strings sometimes sound a bit synthy, but I once listened to a live recording and suddenly thought: my, that horn doesn't have round-robin patches... And your rendering is quite good. I like the bass a bit more to the center, but for the rest, very natural, and a well done interpretation of a well known piece.
    Theo

Thanks for the kind words FLWrd. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    It's impossible to get some of the fast violin sequences natural, since there is only one sample per note, and the same note gets repeated so fast that the ear picks it up.
    Very true. I did, though, use the Variation controls, which help a lot.

You might get a slightly better sound by playing a bit with the "length" parameter.
    You weren't to know but the length control is used a fair bit in these pieces, mostly on the short notes.

Your rendering is quite musical.
    That may have something to do with my 40 years as a professional musician

As I mentioned earlier, it's the musicality of GPO that I like - more than the sounds themselves, which are limited. But that's the nature of the library, its weakness and its strength.

As a commercial MIDI file arranger and programmer, I've programmed hundreds of titles over the years. To make them appealing to all, it's the musicality that's important rather than the sounds because one never knows what sound module or software will be used to play them back. They have to be balanced well and adhere to certain standards but it's how they are played and the use of CCs that determine their musicality. Nothing to do with the sound.

With these pieces I'm basically having some fun working entirely within ARIA and I've just uploaded a couple by Bach - yes, you've guessed it, Brandenbug 3 (heavily abridged) and the famous Air.

Thanks for listening, that's it for now

Hi kwg33...

....nice rendering on this material . Very good mixing here. I was wondering how better the sounds from GPO 4 beeing to previous versions..

Best
    JL

Quote Originally Posted by Jaques View Post
    Hi kwg33...

....nice rendering on this material . Very good mixing here. I was wondering how better the sounds from GPO 4 beeing to previous versions..

Best
    JL
    Can't really say Jaques because GPO4 is the only version I've used. But I don't think the samples changed much, if at all.

As to the mixing on these, there is very little. Just a set volume balance for each instrument(s). The 'mixing' is all done with CC 1.

Go Back to forum