• Register
  • Help

Topic: Questions on Garritan World and Aria

Share/Bookmark

Question Questions on Garritan World and Aria

I just saw the instrument list in Garritan World, and I must say I'm terribly impressed. The number of celtic instruments alone is enough for me to want to purchase this library, but the inclusion of taiko drums makes it irresistable. I've been wanting to play with those for a while, now...

But I have two basic questions.

1) I noticed that World includes a fiddle. I have GPO 3, and I know that the difference between a fiddle and a violin in the REAL world is how it is played. What makes the fiddle samples different from the violin samples in GPO?

2) My second question probably has more to do with Aria. As I said, I have GPO 3, so I still use the old player. Not Aria. Is it easier, harder, or more difficult to make the instruments sound realistic when using the Aira player? As those of you who've heard my past attempts know, I find achieving that realism difficult, and am hoping that the Aria player helps with that.

Thanks, in advance, for any responses.

Re: Questions on Garritan World and Aria

Hello "HongKong"---Great to see you here again.

I've worked with the World library quite a bit, having been on the Beta team, so I can tell you - The Fiddle was something which the developers kept focusing on so that it could become one of The most important instruments in the collection.

The instrument definitely sounds like a "fiddle" as opposed to a violin, because somehow the clever people at Plogue and Garritan have captured the more aggressive, raw sound of a fiddle. It lends itself perfectly for various styles of folk music. On the demo page, my version of the Irish tune "A rovin'" can give you an idea of what I mean.

http://www.personalorchestra.com/

--click "Tell me more" in the box towards the top about World. The site doesn't seem to have individual URLs for the separate pages. But once you're on the World page, you'll see the demos in the lower half of the screen on the right.

But what makes the fiddle samples different than the violin in GPO is, as I said, that the samples themselves sound different, more aggressive. Probably even more dramatic than that, though, is that this fiddle/violin is more like the late, lamented Garritan Strad, because vibrato is continuously controllable-! - The violins in GPO have vibrato recorded with the samples, as you know, so the user can't control the sound. Using After Touch, the user can control the Fiddle's vibrato - from zero, to intense. And with CC17, the speed of the vibrato is controlled.

Believe me-that makes for a huge difference. This fiddle can sound very natural and it's very satisfying to work with.

As for your second question, I'm pretty sure that everyone using Aria now who used Kontakt before would tell you that it's easier to make "realistic" recordings with GPO now. More controls and they're easier to access. And Aria is much more friendly with your computer, taking less CPU power.

You gotta upgrade!--Hope I've inspired you.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongCV View Post
    I just saw the instrument list in Garritan World, and I must say I'm terribly impressed. The number of celtic instruments alone is enough for me to want to purchase this library, but the inclusion of taiko drums makes it irresistable. I've been wanting to play with those for a while, now...
    It's great to hear such wonderful comments!

But I have two basic questions.

1) I noticed that World includes a fiddle. I have GPO 3, and I know that the difference between a fiddle and a violin in the REAL world is how it is played. What makes the fiddle samples different from the violin samples in GPO?
    A significant amount of effort went into programming the Fiddle in the World, especially after receiving excellent feedback from the beta testers. I'm unsure of the samples used in GPO3, since I don't have that version installed here right now. But the Fiddle has different, keyswithes, controls, eq, and effects programmed in comparison to the GPO strings.

2) My second question probably has more to do with Aria. As I said, I have GPO 3, so I still use the old player. Not Aria. Is it easier, harder, or more difficult to make the instruments sound realistic when using the Aira player? As those of you who've heard my past attempts know, I find achieving that realism difficult, and am hoping that the Aria player helps with that.

Thanks, in advance, for any responses.

Programming with ARIA is very easy and straight forward. I'd start by viewing the Controls page for the instruments you are working with and go from there. Different instrument types will have their own controls specific to their behavior. These controls are also assigned to various MIDI CCs, so you can control expression with controllers such as the modulation wheel, aftertouch, and more. Then there are the keyswitches on top of that! Check out the chapter "Playing Garritan World Instruments" from your ARIA_World.pdf for all of the details.

I am from Trinidad and Tobago, and I have a few of the Garritan libraries including my recent purchase of Garritan World Instruments. The list of instruments is indeed impressive.

I was hoping however that the steeldrum samples included two additional common instruments used in the steel orchestras in Trinidad. These would be the Double Tenor, and the Double Guitar. I am not sure why these two very common instruments in our musical arrangements are not included in steeldrum / steelpan bands and orchestras outside of the West Indian communities around the world. It may be that authentic steeldrum / steelpan information from the source, slipped through the cracks.

I would be greatly delighted if you would include these in a not too distant upgrade or add on package. The typical range of the double Tenor is from F3 up to B5, and the tone is very much different from the Double Second, especially in the lower register, even though their musical ranges are pretty close.

Go Back to forum