• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which string patch to use for spiccato / loure bowing?

Share/Bookmark

Question Which string patch to use for spiccato / loure bowing?

I am starting a new project in which the strings are playing 3 light bouncing notes under 1 bow, what I believe would be spiccato or loure bowing. Not sure which one... In GPO, which string patch would be good to create this light bouncing effect?

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: Which string patch to use for spiccato / loure bowing?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    I am starting a new project in which the strings are playing 3 light bouncing notes under 1 bow, what I believe would be spiccato or loure bowing. Not sure which one... In GPO, which string patch would be good to create this light bouncing effect?

André
    The section KS strings have keyswitches that trigger all up-bow and all down-bow for short strings. They are as follows:

KS violins and violas: D#1 = all up-bow, E1 = all down-bow
    KS cellos: D#0 = all up-bow, E0 = all down-bow
    KS basses: D#-1 = all up-bow, E-1 = all down-bow

Since key velocity controlls both attack and volume with the short and pizzicato strings, you should probably use lower kv values for spiccato to keep the attack light. This should be fine, though, as true spiccato tends to be played on the soft side of the dynamic range. I'd guess maybe a kv of 64 (or less), but you'll have to play around with it to get the results you're after. Also you may want to reduce note durations to maximize the space between notes. I don't know if it's possible to get a totally realistic spiccato sound with the GPO strings, but I think you could probably come at least reasonably close to it.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Go Back to forum