• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Like a deserted campus

Share/Bookmark

Like a deserted campus

It's like a deserted campus here on weekends... reminds me of my college days when everyone went home for the weekends and no one was left. That must be how I got most of my class assignments done...

Ah, well... for those who are here, please don't forget about the time change tonight (Sat., Nov. 6). We get an extra hour, but what people do with it... well... I'll leave that alone.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Re: Like a deserted campus

David --

She left off the "S" at the beginning...
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Does that mean I really got a life ?
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I grew up in a working class family from the Bronx, thus the name. We moved to Florissant, MO when I was a kid. After high school, I bee-lined back to the East Coast for college. It was more than a smart move, it was like coming home to the promised land! Nothing irritates a transplanted New Yorker like farm boys constantly asking you if you're Mafia, why people in Brooklyn talk with their mouth full, do Italian women really have beards, are there really alligators in the sewers or "If you see Freddie "Boom-Boom" Washington, tell him I said 'Hi there!'"

Spending weekends in Albany (SUNY, Class of '82) and going home only for the holidays save my sanity. I also met my late wife at college on a weekend, and she was the best thing that ever happened to me. Today, however, I have much stronger appreciation for the folks in the heartland, now that All In The Family and Welcome Back Kotter went off the air eons ago and are only available on DVD. But I did miss the folks at home. Absence truly makes the heart grow fonder.
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." -Steven Wright, comedian

What campus did you go to?

Weekends is party time and the people here are most likely partying on weekends.

Yeah, but Dudefromthebronx, I really want to know if you're Mafia, why people in Brooklyn talk like their mouths are full, if Italian women really have beards, and if there really are alligators in the sewers. I'm not so interested in Freddie Boom Boom Washington, but it'd be cool if you could answer the other questions. (WHERE did the good smileys go to--ARrrrrrrrgh!)

Randy

All in the Family still comes on TV Land, woohoo!

Anyway, I work weekends. In fact, at I'm work right now, so why am I here?!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Yeah, but Dudefromthebronx, I really want to know if you're Mafia, why people in Brooklyn talk like their mouths are full, if Italian women really have beards, and if there really are alligators in the sewers. I'm not so interested in Freddie Boom Boom Washington, but it'd be cool if you could answer the other questions. (WHERE did the good smileys go to--ARrrrrrrrgh!)

Randy
    Alrighty, here's the goods!

*No, I'm not Mafia. I'm not even Italian. Heck, I wouldn't even look good in anything designed by Versace or Armani.

*Truthfully, people in Brooklyn don't really talk with their mouths full, but the way they pronounce everything (i.e. BWOOK-win, "Da Wotto machine is Bwowk-en.") is so incoherent that at one time, Brooklyn had more speech therapists than any other city in the world...or so I heard from my high school civics teacher in Florissant, MO. He was from Alabama.

*Italian women do not have beards. This began back in the 1920's in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. As soon as Hasidic Jews started opening bakeries and jewelry shops in Midtown and moving into the Lower East, they encountered anti-Semitism from the locals, many of whom were what would now be known as Traditionalist Catholics. Not to start anything with the Catholics, but the Hasidic Jewish men would try to avoid trouble by claiming they were some ancient, obscure branch of the Catholic faith and that they...OK, I'm making this one up! No one really knows how the bearded-Italian-lady thing started.

*There are no alligators in the sewers in New York City. People bring them home as pets, they get too big, they dump them down a storm drain and the still-growing chompers just swim the course under the streets, flop out into the harbor and make their way down to Coney Island, where they hide under the boardwalk, waiting...waiting...until they just give up and swim over to the Jersey side.
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." -Steven Wright, comedian

Go Back to forum