• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Challenge 26

Share/Bookmark

Challenge 26

Okay, here is the theme for challenge 26. The challenge is as it originally was set up. Use the theme with whatever instrumentation you choose. Try to keep the length to 2 to 3 minutes. Garritan Libraries must be the prominent part of the orchestration. The 8 measure phrase is the starting point for developing your piece.

So, unless I have forgotten something, this is the theme:

Theme jpg

and the theme can be found here:

Challenge 26

Oops, I should have included a midi file, so here it is for those who would like to use it:

Ch 26 Midi File

When your challenge is ready please send them to:

seanthebest@gmail.com

Sean has graciously consented to organizing this challenge as he has done in the past.

I am setting the deadline for December 14, 2010 which is 6 weeks from now (unless there is a reason for making it a longer period of time).

Good luck all and enjoy making music!
    Last edited by RichR; 11-05-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: add midi link
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Challenge 26

Rich --

I hate to seem ignorant -- but I AM!!! Could you please give us newbies (and ignorant oldies) some direction on how to enter a challenge, assuming we have finished a piece. Do we submit a score along with a recording, or just a recording??? Who do we send it to???

Thank you so much,

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

I am waiting for a PM to confirm how the entries will be handled. When I know for sure, I will make that announcement. As for what is to be sent by the entrant, what is needed is an mp3 file and not a .wav file so the size is not overly large. We usually try to keep the recorded file below 5 megabytes to insure they will not take a long time to load for listening.

Here is the rules as shown in the Garritan wiki section on "Orchestration Challenges".

The GPO Orchestration Challenges are just for fun. They challenge you to use Garritan libraries and your own creativity to orchestrate a certain theme in any way you want. Any Garritan library user may participate. Participants generally have around four weeks to create their orchestrations, and then submit them to whoever set that particular challenge. Entries are then anonymously posted and voted upon by Northern Sound Source forum members. The winner becomes the writer for the next Challenge's theme.

Rules:

1) Your entry should have substantially been created using Garritan libraries (GPO, JABB, Strad).

2) You may enter as many times as you'd like, as long as each entry is substantially different.

3) The Orchestration Challenge is to take the theme and create a couple of minutes of music (there are currently no strict time limits) in the style of your choosing, doing whatever you like to the theme as long as it is substantially recognisable.

4) The winner is chosen after the entries have been posted anonymously on the NSS forum, and the forum members have voted for their favorite in a poll. How the forum members judge which is their favorite is totally up to them.

5) The winner of the Challenge wins nothing, except the acclaim of the forum, and the honour of setting the next Challenge.

6) The Challenge Setter may not enter his or her own Challenge.
    note: In my challenge deadline, I have made it six weeks and not four due to the Thanksgiving weekend that is up and coming for all American entrants. If you would prefer to keep it just four weeks, than let me know.

Rich

Super, Rich! Thanks for getting the Challenge going again - I just had a listen to your MP3 - That should be a fun challenge for people to work with. Thanks!

Randy

I added a midi file link for those of you who would want to start from that point.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I added a midi file link for those of you who would want to start from that point.
    Ah, you beat me to it. I've been meaning to point out that we always post a MIDI file so people can bring it into their software and start working right away. Thanks for getting that on the thread.

Now - It'd be great if we get a nice big group of entries, the way we used to. It can happen!

Randy

Just as a bump and a reminder. There are 4 weeks and 3 days until the deadline for Challenge 26. I can't wait to see what you all come up with.

Rich

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Randy for the ker-bump!

There are 3 weeks and five days to the due date. Pressure is mounting.

Rich

Just a bump to remind everyone that Challenge 26 has 2 weeks until deadline.

Rich

Go Back to forum