• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Basic Help

Share/Bookmark

Need Basic Help

Hi...I have GPO and Overture 4.1. I have looked all over this website, the GPO manual, and Overture 4.1 manual and can't find the exact information I need. The links I have found to "tutorials" and such on this website and in the manuals are broken or otherwise incorrect.....anyway, I want to do a simple thing....have the music I write in Overture 4.1 play back using GPO instrument sounds. The main problem is I don't know which folder to use for "set VST folder". I tried all different likely looking ones, but no luck. It still plays with the horrible Overture sounds. I've done the instrument rack loading and the track window stuff, but to no avail. I think the problem is I haven't selected the correct VST folder. Can anyone tell me which exact folder that would be? Thanks.....

Re: Need Basic Help

Viola --

Most DAW setups have a single folder on their machines that contains all VST plugins from all the different software packages they install so that all programs can use them. If you have, for example, Sonar or any other major Cakewalk software, that folder will be found under the Cakewalk directory under "Program Files" in Windows. I don't know where it would be on a Mac, so I can't help you there. But there should be some major product on your computer which will be designated by the system as the "master" VST plugin folder. On my machines, I have Sonar installed, so that my master VST plugin folder is under "Program Files -> Cakewalk -> VSTplugins" for my setup. All VST plugins that are installed after Sonar should automatically find that folder and offer you the choice of using it for their software packages as well. However...

Since you have only mentioned that you have GPO and Overture, I can tell you that the ARIA Player VST plugins are located under "Program Files -> Garritan -> ARIA Player -> VST". Inside that folder you will find copies of the ARIA Player VST plugins that you can copy to any other folder on your hard drive.

For Overture, you can set the VST folder that it looks for under the VST menu. There is an item at the bottom of that menu that says "Set Folder ..." and when you select that item, it will bring up a dialog box where you can browse your hard drives for a VST plugins folder. If all you have with Overture is the GPO library, then you can navigate to the "Program Files -> Garritan -> ARIA Player -> VST" folder and select that as your master VST plugin folder. If there are other programs on your hard drive like Sonar, however, it is best to use its VSTplugins folder because it usually contains all the other VST plugins from your whole system there and you can access any of them from Overture.

This will allow you to load and use the ARIA Player VSTi under Overture, into which you can load whatever GPO instruments you like.

I hope this helps you.

Sincerely,
    Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

bionicbub said it best. Pick or create a VST folder, dump all your VST instruments and effects into that folder and redirect all your VST-compatible apps to it.
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." -Steven Wright, comedian

Arvid nailed it there. His reply should lead right to getting your GPO sounds in Overture

Thanks for the quick replies, everybody! (I also got a helpful response from snorlax, whom I had PM'd, but didn't know if it had gotten truly "sent", so I posted here also) With this help, I was able to locate the proper file and got everything working. The problem was, I had 3 "VST" files in various locations, all having to do with Overture 4.1 and GPO, and I had been trial-and-erroring but never found the right combination of things. Thanks again.......violasrsupreme

Quote Originally Posted by violasrsupreme View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies, everybody! (I also got a helpful response from snorlax, whom I had PM'd, but didn't know if it had gotten truly "sent", so I posted here also) With this help, I was able to locate the proper file and got everything working. The problem was, I had 3 "VST" files in various locations, all having to do with Overture 4.1 and GPO, and I had been trial-and-erroring but never found the right combination of things. Thanks again.......violasrsupreme
    It makes our time very much worthwhile here on the forum anytime we can be of help to someone. I wish you all the best in making music with your Garritan Personal orchestra.

Arvid

[ P.S. -- Be sure to post some demos of your work in "The Listening Room" section of this forum when you get something completed. We love to listen to each other's creations also.]
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Go Back to forum