• Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Topic: SPHERES - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Share/Bookmark

Re: SPHERES - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Hi Cass,

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    Excuse me for a sec……got to get my hat on first…..okay, ready……… “Hats off on this one David and if I were wearing a toupee, that’d be com’n off too!”
    You're unfailingly my most enthusiastic supporter, Cass.
    Thank you!

Always look forward to another prodigious gem that’s meticulously crafted from your pen. There’s so much to like here, I don’t know where to start except that most of it’s been mentioned already in posts so I won’t repeat. That said, I have to expound a bit. My nature.

What great use of the minor 2nd interval—strings, winds, brass—all over the place—giving nice harmonic support to the your first, simple but effective, motif of a rising 7th to octave phrase. Great offset intertwining/crossfading of that theme by the way. Then the snare/cymbal fanfare introducing the 2nd motif of--- lacking of a better description---the cascading 4th motif supported by lush string chords (with minor seconds in them, of course!)

Particularly effective is the variation of that motif played by the violas and cellos around measure 41. That was the perfect touch there and made the whole piece for me. Then a recap and a shorten snare/cym fanfare to the last mesmerizing note.

Also love how you sparingly used several of the instruments like the tuba, bass trombone, bassoon, etc. with only a handful of notes in the whole piece, much the same way as you used the percussion.
    It's a union thing.

I think you mentioned to Steve that you were heading in a direction of fashioning your percussion to sound more like the other orchestral members. But I kind of see it 180, as mentioned above, fashioning other instruments to sound more like a percussion instrument with just the right note and colour at the absolutely precise placement for the piece involved. At any rate, every placement of these notes was perfect to convey the mood and texture you were going for.
    An interesting observation, Cass, and largely on the mark.

As you know, I do not write professionally... in which there
    is a kind of freedom -- the freedom to just sit and think
    about a piece, and spend whatever time it takes to arrive
    at exactly what I want. If it takes me a month or two to
    write a small piece like this -- so what?

Some of it, too, is my life-long love of Webern emerging more.
    Though I'm far from a strict serialist, I've always admired
    another element of his writing: his abilitiy to put exactly the
    right note in exactly the right place at exactly the right time
    -- and not one single note more nor less.

And I wasn’t going to say anything, well, you know me. Hard to keep my trap shut when it’s gaping wide open already from excitement.

I do think you’re selling yourself short here David when you say these last couple pieces are just studies and not really formal works. How do most people classify formal works anyway, what criteria is essential. Beats me. I guess the most popular would be length and complexity, both of which are at the bottom of my list. This piece, as simple as it might seem, has so much going on in it you can’t help to classify it as a formal mature work, at least in my humble subjective opinion.
    That's a good point, Cass. Too many writers focus far too
    much on producing as much music as possible -- both in
    terms of the length of their pieces and the number of pieces
    they churn out.

That's all well and good if you're a Mozart or a Bach. But
    for us lesser mortals, the result is usually a great deal of
    music that's neither memorable nor enduring.

For myself, if I write even one or two pieces that survive
    the test of time, I'll count my compositional efforts a success.

Great motifs, form and structure throughout. Fantastic orchestration with minimal resources but sounding like a weighty orchestral endeavor. And on and on, but really what is so darn fascinating and important about this piece (and your last POV) is that it’s just plain musical and full of wonder. It’s hard enough to get cognitive modern music combined with an emotive element. But to go one step further and combine it with that spiritual, intangible, magical-something more- element is a real feat. For me, you have managed to combine all three of these elements into these pieces. They say a lot more than the whole—a Gestalt!

Bravo seams lacking here somehow, but here goes anyway. BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO
    CASS
    Again, thank you, my friend, for your unfailing support!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David, you always amaze me. This is so ethereal. I listen just to enjoy the sound. I have a whole library dedcicated to your music. The score is so efficient (visual score). You take so little and make so much. Thanks for allowing me to listen to your soul.

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    David, you always amaze me. This is so ethereal. I listen just to enjoy the sound. I have a whole library dedcicated to your music. The score is so efficient (visual score). You take so little and make so much. Thanks for allowing me to listen to your soul.

Best regards,
    Bill
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the listen and kind words, my friend.

As you mentioned it, there is an element of
    "soundscaping" in this -- sound for the sake of
    the color and feel of it. One of the balancing acts
    I'm trying to learn to do better is integrate that
    well with the thematic content... which, I find, is
    trickier to do than one might expect... lol!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hello David

Spheres is pretty cool stuff! The beginning made me feel like a kid hiding under my covers at night but then it seemed safe to come out to turn on the night light. That dissonance sure triggers something deep. The flutes felt like madness sweeping in and out.

This music made me think about time and how short our time is but is it really.

Anyway, I always enjoy your music because it sounds so good and it makes one think differently.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Hello David

Spheres is pretty cool stuff! The beginning made me feel like a kid hiding under my covers at night but then it seemed safe to come out to turn on the night light. That dissonance sure triggers something deep. The flutes felt like madness sweeping in and out.

This music made me think about time and how short our time is but is it really.

Anyway, I always enjoy your music because it sounds so good and it makes one think differently.

Phil
    Hey Phil, great to see you back in the forum.

You know, I think that's one of the best comments
    I've ever received -- "it makes one think differently".

I'd be the last to suggest that every piece of music
    should do that... but I'm pleased that you think mine
    does, my friend.

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi David,

I just discovered this little jewel. Wonderful writing as usual, The sparity of notes and instruments, yet the fullness of the tonal field make this a haunting and strange piece. I love the sparsity, and wonder in how it speaks such volumes. I felt it to be more of an opeing to a larger work. Maybe a mini-movement in a larger scheme. I always enjoy listening to what you produce. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,
    Bill

P.S. I hope you are surviving the east coast blast of cold and snow.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Hi David,

I just discovered this little jewel. Wonderful writing as usual, The sparity of notes and instruments, yet the fullness of the tonal field make this a haunting and strange piece. I love the sparsity, and wonder in how it speaks such volumes. I felt it to be more of an opeing to a larger work. Maybe a mini-movement in a larger scheme. I always enjoy listening to what you produce. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,
    Bill

P.S. I hope you are surviving the east coast blast of cold and snow.
    Thanks for the second look, Bill.

This piece, along with Persistence of Vision and perhaps another
    -- I agree, it would make a nice suite.

I do have another related piece in the hopper -- if I can ever
    get to it with all this snow... lol. I've done nothing but shovel,
    shovel, shovel for what seems like ages... walks, decks, my 800'
    ever-lovin' driveway, and most recently the roofs! We had seven
    feet of snow up there.

At a rough estimate, I'd guess just in the last week I have moved
    over 100,000 pounds of snow. Astonishing. I may not be getting
    much writing done -- but (presuming it doesn't kill me) I'm going
    to be one heck of a strong old man if this continues... rofl!

I hope the forum will forgive my not having gotten to listen to as
    many pieces as I would like lately. This extraordinary winter has
    kept me more than a little busy!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I am and always have been in awe of your skill at rendering your music. Your control of dynamics and the sound of the the garritan instruments suits you music perfectly. To me, listening to your work is a lesson in how well sampled instruments can sound. Thanks for sharing your efforts.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    I am and always have been in awe of your skill at rendering your music. Your control of dynamics and the sound of the the garritan instruments suits you music perfectly. To me, listening to your work is a lesson in how well sampled instruments can sound. Thanks for sharing your efforts.
    Jay
    Many thanks for the listen, Jay, and the kind word.

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345