• Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Topic: SPHERES - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Share/Bookmark

Re: SPHERES - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Hi John,

Quote Originally Posted by mistersynth View Post
    Absolutely amazing, as ever David. You really are a master of sonic sculpture, of orchestration and of getting the very best out of GPO and Finale.
    All credit where due! GPO4 and Finale are spectacular tools
    -- when you take the time to learn to use them well.

I'm not sure whether the SPHERES refer to spherically shaped objects or whether they refer to the more abstract, such as celestial sphere(s), or spheres of influence etc.
    Kind of a case of "all of the above", John... both the more
    physically familiar geometric shape -- and the multitude of
    abstractive levels to which it can be taken in the description
    and understanding of our existence.

Whatever you had in mind as you wrote this, it is extremely pleasing on lots of levels.
    I would really love to hear this (and your other great pieces) played by a human orchestra - in fact I'm surprised that it hasn't happened yet - unless I've missed it.
    Bravo yet again.
    Best regards,
    John
    Who knows, John -- this one is not to tough overall to play.

Thanks for the listen!

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx View Post
    Another great piece David, but that goes without saying.
    I don't know that it goes without saying; but I don't
    mind hearing... lol.

I found the ominous opening followed by persistent tension throughout the piece to be very exciting. The ending, IMO, is very clever; the piece can stand on it's own as is or it can lead to another movement. Nice touch.

The scope of the piece, à la Webern, is brief and concise but the content rich and engrossing. Bravo, my friend! Well done.

Bill
    I appreciate being put in company with Webern, though
    hardly in his stratosphere; as I'm a great admirer of his
    work.

Thank you for the listen and the kind words, my friend.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    It's been a while since I last visit the Listening Room (way too long) and so I was very delighted to see a label of "Sosnowski" on one of the top threads - I knew I would be rewarded. And I was. Another great piece you have here. A little more "accessible" than some you've posted but with enough going on to stand many repeated listenings. And believe me, I will give it Many listenings (just finished 4th time through).
    Four times? Admirable endurance, Trent!

Thank you for the generous comments, Trent.

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by J. Cohen View Post
    Hi David, this is the first bit of your work that I've listened to and I was very impressed. The very beginning started off wonderfully. The first minute was quite masterful.

The emotion in the clarinet throughout is extremely expressive.

The frequent dissonance provides for an eerie mood that was nicely counterbalanced by the sometimes beautiful peal of the clarinet.

The percussion, which sometimes stuck on off beats, made for a more realistic sounding performance.

Great sound stage throughout, particularly at 3:00 - 3:20.

I'm looking forward to checking out your other work.

Justin
    Thank you for the kind thoughts, Justin -- and
    welcome to the forum!

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Ted,

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    David. . . David. . . David. . .

You're one of the reasons why I can't listen to Top-40 radio anymore! I just can't!!
    What's a radio... lol?

I love your style of composition. I love listening to your music. I love how you can take a concept like "SPHERES" and, through your composition, make an image like "large spheres" very visual and real. You're definitely one of my favorite composers. I so admire and respect your gift and talent in writing music. By the way, it's not just that your a wonderfully talented composer. You also have that gift of making those sequenced compositions sound so real.

Thank you for sharing your music. I thoroughly enjoyed the listen. And, as always, I enjoyed reading the score while listening.

Cheers to you, David!

Ted
    Ted, thank you so much for your always enthusiastic
    comments.

And a Merry Christmas, my friend!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Ron,

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    David,

I think you have outdone yourself with this work. Absolutely beautiful, and such a superb job of rendering! It is so instructive and illuminating to have the score - there are so few instruments sounding at the same time, so much "blank space", yet it sounds so full, and harmonically clear. Concise, spare, yet richly layered. That is a real achievement. I have listened to this twice - I know I will be back for more.
    Thanks, Ron. As I've said earlier, I was concerned as I was
    scoring this about the sparse terrain... but folks here seem
    to think it works.

I have no idea as to the implications of the title - and it doesn't bother me one bit. This piece is so solid that title or no, I feel the experience fully satisfying.
    Like many of my titles, it refers more to a general group of
    concepts and ideas, rather than to any single, discreet thing.
    I've often found that manner of thinking fertile ground.

Great job!
    Thanks for listening, my friend!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi John,

Quote Originally Posted by John Newell View Post
    Hi David, Having listened to several of your orchestral works, I really appreciate your clarity and the sparse textures that you use, to give each instrument a chance to be heard.
    The sparser landscape is a more recent shift in style, John;
    and not one I think is permanent. A lot of prior work is more
    fully scored -- and I believe I'll likely arrive at a compromise
    "weight" eventually.

Still, writing like this is valuable experience. Working with a
    bare minimum of aural resources forces you to both ingenuity
    and clarity, in that there's really no place to hide.

I do like very much how you use the palette of instrumental colors you choose for each work. There is real imagination and a sense of surprise, as you don't let the ear get tired of hearing one timbre for too long, and the work doesn't become too predictable. They really do "hold the ear." You have created an acoustic space that promotes the clarity of sound that you're after, as well.

Terrific.

John
    Thanks for listening, John, and for the good word!

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Excuse me for a sec……got to get my hat on first…..okay, ready……… “Hats off on this one David and if I were wearing a toupee, that’d be com’n off too!”

Always look forward to another prodigious gem that’s meticulously crafted from your pen. There’s so much to like here, I don’t know where to start except that most of it’s been mentioned already in posts so I won’t repeat. That said, I have to expound a bit. My nature.

What great use of the minor 2nd interval—strings, winds, brass—all over the place—giving nice harmonic support to the your first, simple but effective, motif of a rising 7th to octave phrase. Great offset intertwining/crossfading of that theme by the way. Then the snare/cymbal fanfare introducing the 2nd motif of--- lacking of a better description---the cascading 4th motif supported by lush string chords (with minor seconds in them, of course!)

Particularly effective is the variation of that motif played by the violas and cellos around measure 41. That was the perfect touch there and made the whole piece for me. Then a recap and a shorten snare/cym fanfare to the last mesmerizing note.

Also love how you sparingly used several of the instruments like the tuba, bass trombone, bassoon, etc. with only a handful of notes in the whole piece, much the same way as you used the percussion. I think you mentioned to Steve that you were heading in a direction of fashioning your percussion to sound more like the other orchestral members. But I kind of see it 180, as mentioned above, fashioning other instruments to sound more like a percussion instrument with just the right note and colour at the absolutely precise placement for the piece involved. At any rate, every placement of these notes was perfect to convey the mood and texture you were going for.

And I wasn’t going to say anything, well, you know me. Hard to keep my trap shut when it’s gaping wide open already from excitement.

I do think you’re selling yourself short here David when you say these last couple pieces are just studies and not really formal works. How do most people classify formal works anyway, what criteria is essential. Beats me. I guess the most popular would be length and complexity, both of which are at the bottom of my list. This piece, as simple as it might seem, has so much going on in it you can’t help to classify it as a formal mature work, at least in my humble subjective opinion.

Great motifs, form and structure throughout. Fantastic orchestration with minimal resources but sounding like a weighty orchestral endeavor. And on and on, but really what is so darn fascinating and important about this piece (and your last POV) is that it’s just plain musical and full of wonder. It’s hard enough to get cognitive modern music combined with an emotive element. But to go one step further and combine it with that spiritual, intangible, magical-something more- element is a real feat. For me, you have managed to combine all three of these elements into these pieces. They say a lot more than the whole—a Gestalt!

Bravo seams lacking here somehow, but here goes anyway. BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO
    CASS

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    David,
    I love the fun you create with your music!
    Great work!

Dan
    That's why they call me Mr. Fun, Dan.

Thanks for the good word, my friend -- and Happy New Year!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jaques View Post
    Dear David:

Great wiriting here !. I always like your works after the last years. Spheres is a unique soundscope. !
    Exelente !

Have you writing for film ?

Best
    JL
    Thanks for the kind comments, JL.

Many years ago I provided some background music for
    a nature documentary by a local public TV station.

Other than that, no, I've never done anything at all
    with film.

I've been asked several times -- but politely declined.
    I doubt I have the temperament for it... lol.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast