Jeff Gardner

Re: Suite for brass band

Hi Jeff,
    It's Sunday @ 1:00 pm CST. Three are playing-all but the
    OUTPOST.
    I will re-load.
    Gary

Re: Suite for brass band should be playing now

I entered new mp3s & it seems to be playing.
    Please notify if problem continues.
    Gary

Re: Suite for brass band should be playing now

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    Please notify if problem continues.
    Hi Gary

I played the first track ok but then couldn't play any of the others, including the first one even!

Have you tried using the Box.net service? I'm usually unable to play SoundClick files from work as this site is blocked by our firewall, as it will be for many work based listeners.

Cheers!

Peter

Hi Peter,
    I've gone back to the sight numerous times in the last few days. At first 1 or 2 will play and finally all 4 play.
    I've used Soundclick for all the years I've been on this Listening room and seldom had a problem.

Gary

Gary-I've been trying for several days to access this. Off and on, some will play and some will not. I think I've finally got them all to play now and will listen and get back to you. I believe this is a Soundclick problem, and noting at your end. I've also been a member there for a few years and they do occasionally mess up. I would contact them if this persists for you. Listening now. Will return to review shortly.
    JB

Your SC links are playing the "Now they work. Now they don't game" so I went into Soundclick and did a search on your name and found all the pieces separately.

I like the arrangement throughout. On your second movement "Cadiz", I would bring up the percussion instruments a bit on both the snare drum rolls and the tuned percussion (xylophone). The snares add intensity, and the xylophone adds a pretty touch, but I can barely hear them.

Hearing the same thing on the third movement. I don't understand why you seem hesitant to bring out the drums more, unless it's just my end. They seem too low in the mix. I like what you're doing with them and I find myself straining to hear them better.

I really like the overall "Americana" theme. This is very nice work all in all, but IMHO it needs some more balancing in the mix.
    JB

Hi Gary

I found the same as John (voclizr, I mean) ... and got to the music ok only if I went directly to your page, so there are definitely server issues, which the error messages do suggest.

I quite enjoyed this "soundscape" piece, which I think is a little different in style to your previous works. It should work well in a live concert. I've enjoyed listening to a few of your other pieces too now, and look forward to exploring more or your considerable existing body of work - having played mostly in brass bands and concert bands, your work has intrigued me for a while.

I do appreciate that you are a composer/arranger and not an audio engineer, so I don't expect as good a quality recording of your demos as some are able to produce, but that makes it more improtatnt that you need to ensure that we get to hear the music as clearly as you do if we are to give you the most helpful feedback.

Soundclick isn't helping you do this, I think ... after a bit of experimenting, I see that it only allows you to upload mp3's (personally I'd prefer a downloadable wave file for serious listen) and even then converts all your music to 128kbps even if you upload at the best mp3 quality of 320kbps, the ... this reduces the quality of the sound and we aren't able to hear the piece half as clearly as you do the original. And I even had to register with Soundclick in order to be able to download the file in a bettern player, which was a bit offputting. So I'd really recommend you look at Box.net, Soundcloud or some other site to use here.

Looking at the waveform of your suite, I see that these pieces seems to have been exported to audio (I seem to recall you work in Finale) at a very low volume when compared to your other pieces. So I think it would be worth your using a wave editor such as Audacity (freely downloadable) just to quickly check your finished audio file for any obvious problems like this - you can "normalise" it to boost the overall volume to fix it.

Also, I've had to boost the EQ at the higher end of the frequency range quite a bit to get more clarity between the instruments, but I don't know if this is just caused by Soundclick reducing the bit rate (I'm not sure what bitrate you intended to upload at) or if there are still some issues at source, but at least I know how to work round that for your future pieces.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

Peter

Hi Peter and JB, thanks for listening.
    I initially posted with AUDICITY files. When they didn't play. I went back to
    Itunes.
    I am guessing here about the problem: 4 songs on one post; Audicity.
    The soundclick solutution "Guy' SAID THE FILES WERE FINE, BUT I don't know if he checked the LISTENING ROOM.
    I copied the error message & sent it to him.
    I continue to be frustrated by Finale percussion. Each year they say it's improved; each year it "ain't."
    I will go back & check my setup of instruments. More space sometimes clarifies.
    Thanks for the comments & suggestions.
    I'm not upgrading Finale this year & I will see how soundclick corrects these problems.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast