• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Red Velvet"

Share/Bookmark

"Red Velvet"

This is a complete redo of my "Red Velvet".

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Red Velvet"

hi Larry, I'm listening with great pleasure to your "red velvet" piece...
    only thing, if you don't mind me asking, why do you keep sections so completely separated pan-wise? Sounds a bit weird, specially listening on headphones... a nice piece anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
    hi Larry, I'm listening with great pleasure to your "red velvet" piece...
    only thing, if you don't mind me asking, why do you keep sections so completely separated pan-wise? Sounds a bit weird, specially listening on headphones... a nice piece anyway!
    I am certainly open to suggestions as far as panning is concerned. What say you?

Thanks and regards.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I would have 1st violins about 45 left, 2nd violins say 15 left, violas 15 right and celli/basses 45 right, so that some of the sound of every section is heard, with a different percentage, in both channels... like when you listen to a live concert, even the instruments on your far left or right reach the opposite ear, and you have a coherent audio image of the orchestra.

I would have 1st violins about 45 left, 2nd violins say 15 left, violas 15 right and celli/basses 45 right, so that some of the sound of every section is heard, with a different percentage, in both channels... like when you listen to a live concert, even the instruments on your far left or right reach the opposite ear, and you have a coherent audio image of the orchestra.
    That is almost exactly the pan settings that I used! I programmed first violins - 40 left, second violins - 20 left, violas - 20 right and basses - 40 right. The "problem" must lie somewhere else. (?) Maybe it's because I have my mixer pots in the wrong positions when I mix down. Should I put both left and right channel pots in the center position during mixdown?
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry

Another interesting and enjoyable piece!

Interesting point that OldBob has raised. I wonder if the settings he suggests and which you have used applies to either a mono or a single pan control of a stereo track.

If your DAW lets you control the pan position of both left and right channels of a stereo separately, then I think both should be panned hard left and right respectively to position the overall effect of a single sound source dead center, which would probably be the default.

If you have panned both left and right channels 40 left, say, I think you are effectively:

a) reducing the volume in the left channel somewhat and
    b) moving all of the sound out of the right hand channel to the left hand channel

.. the net result being that all the sound comes out of only the left hand channel.

I think what you'll want to do to achieve a 40 left effect is to leave the left channel panned full left and reduce the pan on the right hand side somewhat so that the overall effect is that the instrument sounds is somewhat to the left - best just to use your ears to check the results, and an bit of tinkering with the controls for each channel should show just how they do work (I'm guessing a bit as I don't have this luxury).

If you've got a pan control for each of the left and right channels, effectively you've got a volume (gain) control for each of the L&R input channels in each of the L&R output channels, which is how normal panning works in the background if you only have one control to adjust the relative volumes in each output channel. The difference between the L&R channel settings will control what is called the stereo width, I think.

To me your rendition of your piece lacks any solid instrument sound close to the middle of the stereo field.

Hope that makes sense!

Best regards - you old radio guy!

Thanks, Mister Peter for all of the information. It will take a while for me to digest all of it.

How did you know that I was an "old radio guy"?

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry

Hope it makes sense ... and I have perused your website several times, including your biography.

Cheers

Peter

Larry, are you using an external mixer? Or do you mix your music inside the pc? Can you explain the routing of the audio signal?

Larry, are you using an external mixer? Or do you mix your music inside the pc? Can you explain the routing of the audio signal?
    Yes, I set panning in Sonar and also on my Mackie mixer. That's where the confusion comes in. I have never been able to determine which of the two takes precedence.

The audio routing is from my computer to my audio interface and then to my external mixer. I use separate left and right signal paths.

I forgot to mention that my audio interface is an Emu 1212M model that also has its own mixer. You can now see why my setup is so confusing as far as panning and mixing down is concerned.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast