• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: New String Runs Library.

Share/Bookmark

New String Runs Library.

Hi everyone,

Here are a some links to a new string runs library created by Hendrik Schwarzer. The site is still in the making but I really enjoy his music demo on the page that is up and running when you open the link. I'm so impressed by his use of samples in this demo, and it's also his own music and to me it sounds amazing!

http://www.orchestraltools.com/

Theres also another demo of Hendrik talking about the software and explaining it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jSxT...e=mfu_in_order

Here is an earlier video - the first one about Hendrik's library.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEH8m...eature=related

Also, another youtube video introducing the composer and some of his music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7x_...eature=related

I have really enjoyed watching these videos!

best,

Steve

Re: New String Runs Library.

its kind of like hollywoodwinds for strings. i was hoping someone would do something like that.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Well... these are quite interesting. *sighs*

I need money.

This will certainly make life easier! Anyone have an idea of the price and/or availability? The site says September.

I have two typically curmudgeonly beefs...
    1. It's another layer of complexity for me as a writer. MIDI stinks, but at least there is a 1-1 correspondence between notes and sound.

2. It adds another layer of complexity in terms of performance. Again, MIDI stinks, but at least there is a 1-1 correspondence between notes and sound.

No matter how cool it sounds, I always wonder about the usefulness of something that will take 2xs as long to input and will not work with notation programs.

But maybe I missed something. In which case... NEVER MIND.

@Suntower

This is the kind of library meant for sequencer programs, rather than notation ones. On this matter, most libraries include patches with dedicated instrument runs, licks and rips, for use in sequencing and live performance. This is useful, in those situations, in the sense that it reduces the number of input notes and makes it faster to produce the desired effect. But, the downside is that you can't use it to make a score, because then you would be presenting just one or two notes to the performer and say, e.g., "this is meant to be a violin arpeggiato run in C maj, over 2 octaves, at 120bpm...Well, at least, that's how it sounds on my computer!". For this, you still need to write all notes in a notation program and hear their effect with a "normal instrument" patch, to see if it fits your needs.

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntower View Post
    I have two typically curmudgeonly beefs...
    1. It's another layer of complexity for me as a writer. MIDI stinks, but at least there is a 1-1 correspondence between notes and sound.

2. It adds another layer of complexity in terms of performance. Again, MIDI stinks, but at least there is a 1-1 correspondence between notes and sound.

No matter how cool it sounds, I always wonder about the usefulness of something that will take 2xs as long to input and will not work with notation programs.

But maybe I missed something. In which case... NEVER MIND.

why do you have a beef? just don't buy it. its designed to sound good. prerecorded phrases sound infinitly better than 1-1 midi correspondence.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    why do you have a beef? just don't buy it...
    This is dangerously close to collage. Which is also my beef with any of these 'orchestral construction sets'. It may have a beautiful texture. It may be 'faster'. But so does instant cake frosting.

I think people have lost sight of the goal. A sample lib shouldn't be about 'sounding' good, it should be about helping one make better music.

Years ago I started getting these e-mails from this guy who worships Spiderman music from the '60's. At first I thought 'what a goof'. Then I realised: the music back then -was- better. KPM library stuff was some of the most creative product ever made. -All- that stuff was very cool. Nowadays? Even straight orchestral music sounds totally canned to me. And frankly, I think it's because all these libs have dumbed down the skill sets.

I'm no Luddite, but I think devs should work more down the path of 'Stradivarius' or that 'The Trumpet' ---making traditional libs sound more realistic with alternate techniques. This sort of thing just seems like throwing up the white flag and I am about 99% sure it leads to weaker musical results. As almost anything 'canned' tends to do.

Google Sandra Lee Bakes A Kwanzaa Cake.

And my apologies to the developer... I know these seems like a backflip but I totally admire your efforts. The scripting alone is hundreds of hours of work I'd wager. I just wish your considerable skill was aimed at something I could get behind.

See this sort of thing (and any construction lib) just begs people to use the computer to do the 'creating' rather than the -man- creating the idea and then having the computer -help- you realise it. There's a difference. It cheapens 'the product' not just in terms of dollars but also in terms of quality.

For those old enough, when the Dada guys started doing collage, it was meant to be a -critique- of society. Now? It's pretty much all there is. Cut n' paste.

OK, I'm done.

---JC

A sample lib shouldn't be about 'sounding' good, it should be about helping one make better music.
    May be this lib does?
    rothermusic.de

This is dangerously close to collage. Which is also my beef with any of these 'orchestral construction sets'. It may have a beautiful texture. It may be 'faster'. But so does instant cake frosting.

I think people have lost sight of the goal. A sample lib shouldn't be about 'sounding' good, it should be about helping one make better music.

Years ago I started getting these e-mails from this guy who worships Spiderman music from the '60's. At first I thought 'what a goof'. Then I realised: the music back then -was- better. KPM library stuff was some of the most creative product ever made. -All- that stuff was very cool. Nowadays? Even straight orchestral music sounds totally canned to me. And frankly, I think it's because all these libs have dumbed down the skill sets.

I'm no Luddite, but I think devs should work more down the path of 'Stradivarius' or that 'The Trumpet' ---making traditional libs sound more realistic with alternate techniques. This sort of thing just seems like throwing up the white flag and I am about 99% sure it leads to weaker musical results. As almost anything 'canned' tends to do.

Google Sandra Lee Bakes A Kwanzaa Cake.

And my apologies to the developer... I know these seems like a backflip but I totally admire your efforts. The scripting alone is hundreds of hours of work I'd wager. I just wish your considerable skill was aimed at something I could get behind.

See this sort of thing (and any construction lib) just begs people to use the computer to do the 'creating' rather than the -man- creating the idea and then having the computer -help- you realise it. There's a difference. It cheapens 'the product' not just in terms of dollars but also in terms of quality.

For those old enough, when the Dada guys started doing collage, it was meant to be a -critique- of society. Now? It's pretty much all there is. Cut n' paste.

OK, I'm done.

---JC
    music back then was better? that's completely subjective, so i can't see that as a valid argument.

also, music sounding better does make better music. if it sounds synthetic people won't want to listen, so what's the point? if it's just for your enjoyment then ok, but if you want your music to be heard or even have it as a source of income then it HAS to sound good.

and what do you mean that everything is a collage? i don't really have any libraries where i use prerecorded runs and phrases, but i wish i did. not only would it sound a whole lot better but it would be a lot faster.

anyway, to each his own - but to me you sound like an angry old man who loves talking about the old days. (i mean this in good spirits)
    -Keith Fuller

---

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast