• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sample Overload?

Share/Bookmark

Sample Overload?

Perhaps it's me. With terrabyte drives and huge sample libraries, in many cases I have libraries that I have never loaded some sounds. Some hoarding instinct makes me want more. Take a Vienna orch library, have you ever loaded and played all the sounds?
    I haven't. I would say I have loaded maybe 50% of the sounds I have in my synth and sound collection. Maybe some pruning is in order to get rid of sounds that I will never use.
    I'm a monkey with too many bananas. I'm curious if anyone suffers from the same.

Re: Sample Overload?

Quote Originally Posted by martyfrasu View Post
    Perhaps it's me. With terrabyte drives and huge sample libraries<snip>
    No, you are not alone! In fact, this very problem is the reason I only recently purchased a large orchestral library, I was still discovering things about the libraries I already had.

Where I get in trouble is all these amazing, low cost, well done specialty libraries from companies like Tonehammer and Sonokinetic. Some are easy to recall, others are just so odd that they can slip between the cracks of my memory when I don't need them.

And then there is the ever popular "included" content. I have Kontakt 4, and I'll bet I've used less than 20% of the included content. Same goes for Massive and Reaktor and Battery. They've reached a point where they include so much factory stuff that it would take a week just to audition everything.

I think that what's really necessary now is some form of sample library catalog. I need a bowed cymbal, how many of my libraries have such a thing? I need a solo violin with multiple articulations, how many of those do I have?

One of the things I do to minimize the whole buying things twice because I don't realize I already have them, or worse, not using something because I can't find it, is to reserve some time when I do purchase a library to just play with it. Sometimes that's straightforward - in the case of Tonehammer's Francesca or Bela D's Diva or Sonokinetic's T&E - these are all vocal libraries (and very different they are) so I just spent several evenings playing with each one as I purchased them. In the case of Bela D I took advantage of their group buy earlier this year and picked up several of their libraries. I did not install them all at once, but rather one at a time. And I didn't do any real work for a couple of weeks as I got an idea of what each could do.

A while back I purchased this bundle from Bolder Sound, a bunch of bluegrass type instruments. I installed all of them and quickly became somewhat lost. Same thing happened when Sampletekk had a group buy last year, I grabbed several of the their pianos, and installed all of them at once. I still can not tell you with any certainty which one will work in any given setting. I really need to revisit them!

Then there are the oddball libraries... things like The Throne or Ambius from Tonehammer/Microhammer. I've spent time with them, and I go to them when I want something a little off center, but I don't know if I'll ever really know them!

As far as factory stuff, I've mostly written it off. That may be a mistake, but since I have most of the bases covered with third party stuff, and because I do not know the factory library at all, I just ignore it.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Perhaps it's me. With terrabyte drives and huge sample libraries, in many cases I have libraries that I have never loaded some sounds. Some hoarding instinct makes me want more. Take a Vienna orch library, have you ever loaded and played all the sounds?
    I haven't. I would say I have loaded maybe 50% of the sounds I have in my synth and sound collection. Maybe some pruning is in order to get rid of sounds that I will never use.
    I'm a monkey with too many bananas. I'm curious if anyone suffers from the same.
    Oooh, I am sooooo a monkey with too many bananas. I sometimes make the mistake of buying two or three libraries at a time and then not spending the proper amount of time with any of them. I spend a ton of time researching new libraries thinking I need "Just one more cool soundset". I am a certified sample addict...
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I have been busy arranging strategies to dissuade myself from buying more sounds. Here is what works for me..................most of the time.

When I develop a longing for a certain instrument I take delight in searching for it online. I satisfy my addiction through that online browsing. Then I look in my libraries and usually find what I want, not having realized it was right there.

My last search was for an indian based stringed instrument called a dilruba which I eventually found I had in my Silk library.

Now where can I find a great Medieval Library........

Regards John

Serious Overload!

Although I keep my Library organized, I have started pruning. I delete old libraries that I've over used and just milked for what it was worth. This makes room for new ones ;-) Also started to make note of favorites. It's very time consuming and draining repeatedly looking through such an enormous stack of libraries for each song I start. I also prune presets. The less time it takes to dial up some killer sounds the better. I have found over the years feeling more inspired with fresh sounds. Some of the older libraries I had, made me think the same. I let go of my 'might need it someday' attitude for the most part. Now I'm sorting out all the effect plug-ins. Gotta keep moving forward! All the best!

I think that is the norm with most DAW users. It's easy to do since virtual items only require drive space. I'm still using 3 separate 500gb drives on my system. When you start collecting sequencers as well with their own proprietary formats, you start adding things like Refills and Rex files as well.
    I started putting all the loops that come on a CM magazine disk and that will fill up space in a hurry.

Soft synths are turning into romplers. Most brag about the size of the library. All it takes is getting synths like Dimension, Rapture, Sampletank and Wusikstation, your are using almost 100 gigs there.

In my case more stuff=less creativity. More time is wasted in the decision process or time wasted shopping for something new.

Having a drive crash or go bad can be a blessing. Every time it's happened to me, I put less on them.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
    Having a drive crash or go bad can be a blessing.
    In the case of electronic music / composer BT, having his studio broken into and much of his prized gear / music / patches / custom software stolen was undoubtedly a gut-wrenching experience.

However, I have heard from his own mouth that in some ways it was a wonderful thing, because it meant he had to keep on innovating and creating new things; he couldn't just hoard old tricks. My understanding is that to this day he is always happy to tell people how he does something or what plugins are being used, because it keeps the wheels moving forward.

-Zem

Principal Researcher, Audio Genetics Lab
    http://audiogeneticslab.com

Quote Originally Posted by halftone View Post
    I have been busy arranging strategies to dissuade myself from buying more sounds. Here is what works for me..................most of the time.

When I develop a longing for a certain instrument I take delight in searching for it online. I satisfy my addiction through that online browsing. Then I look in my libraries and usually find what I want, not having realized it was right there.

Now where can I find a great Medieval Library........

Regards John
    That's a great strategy!

And: you could look at these, I like 'em:

http://soundbytes.de/EarlyPatches/en/verzeich.htm

best

Nigel

Isn't this kind of like wandering into your favorite watering hole and wondering out loud whether anyone else has a drinking problem? Ya think?

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie View Post
    Isn't this kind of like wandering into your favorite watering hole and wondering out loud whether anyone else has a drinking problem? Ya think?

Ernie
    Ernie,

Now that was funny!
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum