• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Question about Symphony form

Share/Bookmark

Re: Question about Symphony form

Quote Originally Posted by Dule View Post
    what is the pont to listen it as 200 years ago and what was considered powerful then?
    What's the point? What does "the point" have to do with anything? What's the point of listening to music at all? Pleasure is involved somewhere, I'm sure. So is academic interest (which is another form of pleasure for me). While I obviously realize it's impossible to actually hear what was heard 200 years ago, I can somewhat appreciate the effect, and find it thrilling. Mozart's 40th symphony does that for me; Beethoven's late quartets do that for me; Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie #1 does that for me. I suspect you are bored with a lot of music I find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dule View Post
    i said dance like, its about music rhythm especially, i know its not for dance...the question was how to put hevy music in that form.
    My point was that the 3rd movement of Mozart's 40th symphony is a minuet in name only. So all you have to do is follow Mozart's lead: take a familiar form, decide on a non-standard direction to take that form, write your heavy music such that if fits the form, and admire the brilliant results. For extra credit, write that and 2 other symphonies in 2 months. Good luck!

Pat

the form can be adapted to ANY style or "mood" you want. it is entirely up to you and your creativity.

If you want to hear a scherzo (minuet) that is everything EXCEPT dance-like and happy, listen to the scherzo of Schostakowitch's Symphony no.10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-pqRMasPQ

It is a "musical description" of Stalin... "evil set to music".

You can't get any darker than trying to describe the Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    the form can be adapted to ANY style or "mood" you want. it is entirely up to you and your creativity.

If you want to hear a scherzo (minuet) that is everything EXCEPT dance-like and happy, listen to the scherzo of Schostakowitch's Symphony no.10
    And there a lot of other Shostakwitch's scherzi that inevitably get labeled "sardonic". There may be humor there - there may even be a dance there - but they don't inspire you to laugh or dance. "Biting" comes to mind.

Pat

thanks both pokeefe and qccowboy for replies..

this is the ending part on which i have to compose next III mov. that i want to be in same mood.

http://kiwi6.com/file?id=942ttgd4zw

(after ~1:19 i had a tehnical problems during recording in cubase, so the sound looks like as if it was cut in some places)

and this is the beginning part of I mov.

http://kiwi6.com/file?id=325y7mstyd

i still need to work on this, since it is more like musical sketch than done composition...

Go Back to forum