• Register
  • Help

Topic: A (stupid?) question about GPO4

Share/Bookmark

A (stupid?) question about GPO4

I recently bought a new PC with 64-bit Windows 7. Along with my new toy I made a bunch of upgrades, including bumping up from GPO2 to GPO4. I'm really looking forward to using GPO4, but I need to ask something. My apologies if this is a stupid question:

What is the difference between the "regular" samples and the instruments in the Notation library? I know that KP2 also had the Notation instruments, but I never bothered using them. I'm just wondering if the Notation library is something I should start paying attention to in GPO4.

Thanks!

Steve Johnson

Re: A (stupid?) question about GPO4

Actually, I've been using Finale for notation only, then exporting as a MIDI file into a sequencer for creating electronic performances with GPO. However one of my recent upgrades was from Finale 3(!) to 2010. Now that I have a modern version of Finale that supports VST, I'll have to give the Notation instruments a try. With that said, I think I'll still want to stick with my sequencer for producing the electronic performances I'm putting out there for other people to audition, so your recommendation makes sense.

Thanks, Peter -- you were most helpful!

Steve

Hi, Peter!

Interesting idea. Unfortunately my keyboard skills are extremely limited, so my compositional approach has to be a one-way street -- music goes from my head into Finale, then as a MIDI file into my sequencer for realizing electronic performances.

I understand how the CC64/68 issue could be a problem, especially in large pieces with a lot of legato instances. I think what I'd probably do is set up ensemble multis with the standard instruments, then just put CC64 data into my Finale files. That way, I'll get legato playback when I preview music in Finale and when I render "final-version" electronic performances in my sequencer.

Unfortunately, I'm not that thrilled with the quality of Finale's sequencer functions (even 2010), so that's why I prefer using a sequencer for producing what people will actually be listening to. I really don't mind inputting and editing MIDI data on the sequencer side. Such being the case, I can't see where using the Notation instruments would be any kind of significant advantage. However, I could be wrong, so if you come across more info please let me know.

Thanks!

Steve

There are NO stupid questions here Steve. Ask away!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post

What is the difference between the "regular" samples and the instruments in the Notation library? I know that KP2 also had the Notation instruments, but I never bothered using them. I'm just wondering if the Notation library is something I should start paying attention to in GPO4.

Thanks!

Steve Johnson
    Hello Steve,

This question has been asked many, many times in our forums and Peter's explanation is correct. The 'Notation Set' is for use with the notation editor Finale which is the program I use. As Peter suggests, I believe this is also the case with Sibelius. The 'Standard Set' is for general sequencer use. Again, as already mentioned, this is due to differences in the handling of some MIDI data between notation editors and sequencers.

A few of our members do work exclusively within Finale using detailed score markings to produce good recordings. However, my preferred workflow is to prepare my scores first in Finale then move across to my sequencer, which is Sonar, to craft my performance. From what you say I believe this also is your preferred workflow. If you work this way, then you will need to use the 'Notation Set' of instruments whilst in Finale.

When moving the MIDI file from Finale, into sonar, I simply continue to load the 'Notation Set' in Sonar. This maintains the exact CC data settings and I simply continue in Sonar where I left off in Finale. I have worked this way happily for many years.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi, Michael!

My line of inquiry has led me to study the Finale 2010 online manual re. how it works with GPO4/ARIA, and I'm leaning more and more toward your approach. A major plus for me is that it can interface with up to 8 instances of ARIA, which frankly puts it miles ahead of the dinosaur version of Finale I had been using until quite recently. With the 4 GB of memory I have on my new computer I should be able to load and play a full orchestra, which I couldn't even think about doing with my previous computer.

With GPO4 in my arsenal, my first priority is to redo my electronic performance of a symphony-in-progress that I originally produced with GPO2 over the summer. Back then I could only work with one section at a time, and that limitation was very frustrating. However, I don't think I'll have to work that way anymore, so I'll give the Notation instruments a test-drive in Finale. If things go the way I hope, then maybe I won't have to rely so heavily on sequencer editing. (I hate to tell you how much effort I went through on the GPO2 performance of my symphony! OY!!)

Anyway, you and Peter were most helpful, so many thanks for your guidance!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    There are NO stupid questions here Steve. Ask away!
    I've installed GPO4. Can I uninstall the previous version (delete all those space-consuming samples at the least if not a full Windows uninstall)?

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mabry View Post
    I've installed GPO4. Can I uninstall the previous version (delete all those space-consuming samples at the least if not a full Windows uninstall)?

-Chris
    It's a whole new set of samples, along with the Aria Player - so if you delete the previous version, you won't do harm to the new one. But if you have any projects you'd like to re-visit, then you'd need to keep your old version also. I have all the versions of all Garritan Libraries on my current computer, so I can go back and forth from old to new projects without a problem.

Randy

Go Back to forum