• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cubase

Share/Bookmark

Cubase

Gentlemen,
    I'm looking for stepping into the magic world of sequencers.
    Since I need some advice from very experienced users
    with a classical oriented mental habit, you are the first
    people of choice to ask for.
    Does anyone has experienced using GPO with Cubase?
    And what about Vst Expression Maps?
    There's one available for GPO?
    I must add that I'm on mac and I don't work with any sort
    of live audio material.
    Thank you in advance for giving an helping hand.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: Cubase

Hi Fabiolcati

I suspect that not many here use Cubase, judging by the lack of a response to your question so far, so you might struggle to get much support here if you do go that way.

Looking at the Steinberg website, GPO is not listed as either a current or future library for VST expression maps. They may become available at a future time, of course, though I think you might be best avoiding them altoghether, to be honest: if you are using a sequencer you want to learn to have full control over your music, not have something automate (and take over) that control for you.

I've been making a similar move to yourself over the last few months ... unless you are committed to Cubase, I'd suggest you a look at the Cucko's Reaper sequencer which I'm sure works in a very similar the top rated sequencers, so the issues you encounter will be ones you can certainly get help with here.

Like Cubase, it has a 30 day trial period ... though it costs a fraction of the price (only £60) to purchase - you can always upgrade later if you feel it necessary.

With the money you save, I'd strongly recommend investing in a decent pair of [active nearfield] studio monitors ... apart from a good sequencer, it seems that these are vital to being able to produce recordings which you can share with others (such as here) in the expectation that what they hear will sound like what you originally heard/created yourself ... without which any feedback from them will be meaningless.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Greetings,
    I've used GPO and other Garritan libs with Cubase for years. Unfortunately, there are no expression maps, though you could take it up as a project if you wanted to.

Currently I am still basking in all things Reaper, but if you have a Cubase oriented question or two I'd be glad to try and help.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I think there was an explanation quite awhile ago from a Garritan programmer about how expression maps wouldn't be able to be integrated into the libraries - maybe someone else can recall the details of that?

Meanwhile, after having tried Cubase and Reaper, I'm here to post a plug for my favorite recording program of choice--SONAR!---highly recommended.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I think there was an explanation quite awhile ago from a Garritan programmer about how expression maps wouldn't be able to be integrated into the libraries - maybe someone else can recall the details of that?

Meanwhile, after having tried Cubase and Reaper, I'm here to post a plug for my favorite recording program of choice--SONAR!---highly recommended.

Randy
    And having suffere....I mean tried Sonar I'll highly recommend Reaper. Sorry Randy, could not resist!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Fabio is on a Mac,
    I will chime in on this topic and recommend Digital Performer 7.21

I'm not on a Mac and I use SONAR (great and flexible), BUT I agree with DPDAN - I've seen what Digital Performer can do and I wish they made a PC version.

If I had a Mac I'd probably go with Digital Performer.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Ah - overlooked that Fabio's on a Mac. People on Macs using Sonar use that PC compatible mode, whatever that's called.

Digital Performer fer sure - If you can do that, Fabio, zero doubt you'd be happy.

I guess all this time you've been working strictly in notation, right?

Randy

Ah ... I hadn't meant to start a DAWS war!

I was just trying to point out that if that if there's a tight budget, it seems better to manage on a good but "budget" DAW, which will provide more than enough functionality for a new starter to get to grip with the concepts of sequencing, and to be able to afford decent studio speakers (which are key to sharing your music, I think) ...

... rather than pay for the best DAW you can afford and forget about the speakers.

Of course, if money is no object, DP comes with the ultimate must-have feature ... DPDan support!

I wish thank you all for your replies and valuable advices.

I onky ask for your patience for a more articulate answer
    from me because I need a little extra time to translate my thoughts
    in readable English. Readable to me, at least.

Greetings
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Go Back to forum